• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Building an open embedded audio applicance.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have tried EAC recommended by DQ and found it less than satisfactory. It did work, but tended to 'go off in the weeds' ripping and re-ripping sectors on too many occasions.
EAC is great ... but only if properly calibrated with your burner.
The automatic way is - EAC > Drive Options... Offset/Speed tab
and select the "Use AccurateRip with this drive" checkbox.

The manual way is - EAC > Drive Options... Writer tab
and click "Create Offset Test CD"
then go to the "Offset / Speed" tab, select "Use read sample offset correction" and press "Detect read sample offset correction..."
then when complete, "Apply"

PS. I get some pops and clicks using RPi, USB library, wireless dongle and USB DAC. Any ideas why?
I suspect the wireless. Anyone else experience this issue? With a DSD tracks, it so smooth it sounds like a vinyl record's pops and clicks.

Just started reading this thread - sorry to be behind the times, hope no-one has said this already. Also realise that this is not to do with hardware, but ...

The music players that use MPD have all fed pops and clicks through HDMI, USB or I2S when I have tried them. It is not the wireless, I have tested that. The only software that consistently performs flawlessly is LXMusic, running on LXDE. It is a front end to XMMS2, and ALSA.

For what it's worth,

Andy

Huh?

Just started reading this thread - sorry to be behind the times, hope no-one has said this already. Also realise that this is not to do with hardware, but ...

The music players that use MPD have all fed pops and clicks through HDMI, USB or I2S when I have tried them. It is not the wireless, I have tested that. The only software that consistently performs flawlessly is LXMusic, running on LXDE. It is a front end to XMMS2, and ALSA.

For what it's worth,

Andy

Andy: I am not sure of the details of what you have tried, but I think it is misleading to suggest that MPD has a problem for file playback. I use MPD as the playback engine in my custom Linux server, and there are zero problems. Sound is spectacular with all sample rates with no problems at all. If someone is having issues with an MPD playback variant the problem is either in the configuration or hardware: MPD itself when properly configured plays perfectly, with astonishing sound quality.

Andy: I am not sure of the details of what you have tried, but I think it is misleading to suggest that MPD has a problem for file playback

Detail: RuneAudio and Volumio on Raspberry Pi, and something else that I now forget on Raspian. Tried the configuration changes suggested by the authors, sadly no improvement in an otherwise excellent couple of players. Blame my incompetence: was given the option about 40 years ago either to maintain the operating system or to write end user software, chose the latter.

Just information, no agenda. This is not the thread for a disussion of software; belatedly trying to help Vince with his query in post 44.

Last edited:
I suggest lossless wav. That's how I've been building up my digital collection for the last few years.

FLAC provides a modest filesize saving, but the playback computer must then do some processing to decompress the FLAC. Arguments can rage endlessly about whether this is significant and/or audible, but as hard drives get larger and larger over time, my attitude is that I don't care about the arguments - I will just go with wav.

The downside of using wav is that there's no official tag specification, but of all the unofficial tag methods, there's now a de facto standard, at least on audiophile forums - ID3v2.3 as implemented by the Tag&Rename application -
Mp3 tag editor Tag&Rename - edit tag in mp3, wma, mp4 files, automatic discogs and freedb import
This application costs US$30, and IMO it's worth it.
Most major media player applications will recognise these wav tags. Any which don't, quite frankly, should be avoided.
MPD and foobar2000 definitely read these tags.

Beware - I've read that JRiver reads these tags just fine, but JRiver actually writes wav tags in a slightly different manner.
Bottom line; for a standardised approach - use Tag&Rename.

I have an older version of Tag&Rename, and I just read now that the latest version can read/write tags of dsf (DSD) files. This is great. I must investigate.
This is what I was looking for thanks. I wanted to remain uncompressed if at all possible. I will experiment with it.

I have had great results with EAC and used it to rip my catalog to 320K mp3 for travel

Not to continue the OT discussion too much longer... My bad experiences with EAC were a number of years ago, and were with the highly-regarded Plextor SCSI drives -- I had several Plextors, so it wasn't a drive-specific issue, nor was it a 'drive calibration' issue as the Plextor parameters are well-known and easily-entered into EAC.

My research on alternatives took me to the ComputerAudiophile ripping article that someone reference and based on that I purchased dBpoweramp. The modest cost was well worth it; the integration of several metadata databases, AccurateRip and album cover art search is invaluable, especially for a CD collection consisting of mostly classical music. I generally gravitate to cheap/free/DIY options, but was happy to pay the very modest price of dBpoweramp.

I am not sure I have or could tell the difference on my Squeezebox-based system between uncompressed WAV and FLAC and don't expect that situation to change with the BBB/Botic solution proposed here. If I ever find I can, its surely easy enough to un-compess the whole collection. The point is well taken that storage is cheap and plentiful.

Just back from a business trip - Miero and I are taking a final critical look at the cape. We have already noticed a few things that need attention.

For example, uFL connectors needed to be relocated because of mechanical conflict on the bottom side. Also adding a few more explicit headers for some functions like ADC or a rotary encoder(for input).

I will have some pics to post very soon. I want to get consensus that I have hit all the highlights before I send this off. :)

Hi all

great news !

I am using Runeaudio with the BBB, to feed waveio board, after an unsuccessful attempt with Volumio. I use USB local disk, attached to a powered USB hub.
I encounter many problems for the power off/power off, eg the USB disk is not recognized at every connection and I spend a lot of time trying to reboot in several manner each time. So I leave the BBB connected 24x7, which I don't like, and the USB disk too, which I dislike even more. I tried to disconnect the HDD leaving the BBB on, sometimes it will reconnect without any problem and sometimes I have to restart the whole process as above. The USB output in the mpd player is disconnected in the process.

Will this be corrected with the cape power management, it does not make sense to have a so called "appliance" for which the solution is power off, disconnect the power cable, press the switch S2 close to the SD card , connect power cable while keeping the switch pressed for 8 seconds until the system reboots.

I believe this is linked to the HW and not a SW issue but have no clue.

BR
Jean-Louis

Hi Miero,

if this has worked for you I will gladly, thank you for the advice (;-)
I did not mentioned that I have not succeeded yet to connect to my share volumes on my Windows server, which was my initial aim, for both SW. UI Is nice though and unfortunately I am not a great geek

BR

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.