• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Building an open embedded audio applicance.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK, after much fluffing around I managed to get a 24/96 FLAC file onto the BBB and play via FFMPEG.

There were a couple of glitches but otherwise actually sounded pretty good tho not my style of music man! Anyway it proves the drivers work and are installed properly which was the aim. Now to try and get Squeezelite working with it.

But a rest first to read GLT's new posting on his blog - looks interesting!

Miero,

Re my Squeezelite problem, I got this back from Triode (guy who wrote Squeezelite):

Try setting different values for the period size via the -a option. You probably need to alter the overall buffer size and the period count to match what the driver supports - these are the first two values in the -a option.

Can you tell me what an appropriate buffer size/period count would be in relation to what the driver supports? These are the 2 values he mentions:
b = buffer time in ms or size in bytes, p = period count or size in bytes

Cheers

Last edited:
Miero,

Re my Squeezelite problem, I got this back from Triode (guy who wrote Squeezelite):

Try setting different values for the period size via the -a option. You probably need to alter the overall buffer size and the period count to match what the driver supports - these are the first two values in the -a option.

Can you tell me what an appropriate buffer size/period count would be in relation to what the driver supports?

Cheers

Also check if mmap is supported - this is the default for squeezelite to reduce CPU load, but is not for other players such as aplay.

-a :::0 turns off mmap

Adrian (triode)

Does the driver have anything in /proc for a stream when running with another player - if so what does it show?

Does this provide anything of value?

Code:
root@arm:/home/debian# speaker-test -c 2 -F S32_LE -r 96000

speaker-test 1.0.25

Playback device is default
Stream parameters are 96000Hz, S32_LE, 2 channels
Using 16 octaves of pink noise
Rate set to 96000Hz (requested 96000Hz)
Buffer size range from 64 to 16384
Period size range from 4 to 1024
Using max buffer size 16384
Periods = 4
was set period_size = 1024
was set buffer_size = 16384
 0 - Front Left
 1 - Front Right
Time per period = 5.834139
 0 - Front Left
 1 - Front Right

Got it going, sounding really good and no glitches.

After looking at the spreaker_test output I used:

Code:
squeezelite -o hw:CARD=Botic -a 16384:1024::

Thanks guys, I think there will be others wanting to use Squeezelite with these drivers/cape so pleased it works.

Adrian, do those values look OK for use here? That was using a 96000 stream, would it need to be changed for 192000?

Does this provide anything of value?

Code:
root@arm:/home/debian# speaker-test -c 2 -F S32_LE -r 96000

speaker-test 1.0.25

Playback device is default
Stream parameters are 96000Hz, S32_LE, 2 channels
Using 16 octaves of pink noise
Rate set to 96000Hz (requested 96000Hz)
Buffer size range from 64 to 16384
Period size range from 4 to 1024
Using max buffer size 16384
Periods = 4
was set period_size = 1024
was set buffer_size = 16384
 0 - Front Left
 1 - Front Right
Time per period = 5.834139
 0 - Front Left
 1 - Front Right

Do you get the same for the hw: device? Try the buffer size and period with the -a option.

Got it going, sounding really good and no glitches.

After looking at the spreaker_test output I used:

Code:
squeezelite -o hw:CARD=Botic -a 16384:1024::

Thanks guys, I think there will be others wanting to use Squeezelite with these drivers/cape so pleased it works.

Adrian, do those values look OK for use here? That was using a 96000 stream, would it need to be changed for 192000?

Looks good - ignore previous post...

You should be able to find values which work for all sample rates. The buffer time can also be specified in ms - this may help with something which works at all rates.

Regards resampling - part of this thread is around developing drivers and a HW cape to cape for both the 44.1k and 48k (an multiples) rates as the Beaglebone only has a clock suitable for 48K and, of course, most CD based music is 44.1k.

To date resampling, as far as I can see, is regarded as not exactly High Fidelity. What is your feeling in this regard? Having read (but not fully understood) the upsample section of the community squeeze site I though I may give it a try sometime.

Regards resampling - part of this thread is around developing drivers and a HW cape to cape for both the 44.1k and 48k (an multiples) rates as the Beaglebone only has a clock suitable for 48K and, of course, most CD based music is 44.1k.

To date resampling, as far as I can see, is regarded as not exactly High Fidelity. What is your feeling in this regard? Having read (but not fully understood) the upsample section of the community squeeze site I though I may give it a try sometime.

Default squeezelite resampling is synchronous - so still needs two hw clocks for all sample rates. The reason for considering sw resampling is the postulation that it may sound preferable to the hardware up sampling filter in the dac chip. If you resample to 384k or 44.1 equivalent then it is likely the dac applies minimum or no filtering of its own. Try it and see..

Resampling is one of those things that is only as good as the underlying algorithm. Most the ones I have seen for ARM linux are only capable of around 90db DNR... Not really terrible, but not good either. :)
It uses libsoxr which is quite good - the are lots of options to trade off quality vs CPU load, but the default is quite high quality. Default settings work on a pi so should be ok for BBB. They also work well on a wandboard which is what we are using for CSOS.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.