• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Help confirming the death of my Buff II v1.1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After a thunderstorm I went to fire up my system and found my Buff II not functioning and with the following problems; DVCC and VDD shorted to ground. C25 C20 C22 C26 all shorted to ground. I had Tridents installed, but the readings are with those removed. Tridents do read normal output when not attached. I also removed the LT regulators.
The clock crystal reg XO is functioning fine.
Just wondering if anybody had any insight into something other than the Dac chip itself being toast?

It does sound like ESD death...

If you can do some SMT rework it is very possible to replace the chip. Once the chip is off the board test the various regulators again (there should be no shorts). If this is the case it may be worthwhile to mount a new DAC chip.

Of course this is a lot of labor, so it maybe be more time and cost effective just to get a replacement. A B3-SE will drop right in.

Arne, Nothing dies for "no reason" - usually when the reason is not apparent it is something like ESD or exceeding design limits unintentionally some other way.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
My B-II's were both your normal "full" kits; BII+tridents, your shunt-psu for B-II + separate shunt-psu for IVYIII. Used as single input stereo dac, had even added a pulse-trafo on input on one of them, as an added "safety-feature" ...
They are both replaced with B-III-SE boards now,(and the latest shunt-regs) -still working ...
(and they are the only things I have put together among 25+ riaas, 10+ preamps, 10+ poweramps & 10+ other DACs, that have died!)

Arne K

Last edited:
Russ, thanks for checking in on this. When my DIY goes bad I get a little to upset and the logic gets a little wobbly if you know what I mean. Sounds like its time to move on to a B III.
Like loosing an old friend though.

Arne, if this happens to me again I could be suicidal.

I recently replaced the ESS9018 chip on my Buffalo II and all is now fine. It was psu oscillation between my Avcc regulator (not a Trident) and the separate I/V board reference that caused the fault.

The replacement chip cost me roughly £54 and was available locally here in the UK. I had no SMD experience before this.

John

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.