Counterpoint III? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Twisted Pear

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 23rd May 2013, 02:45 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Counterpoint III?

Hi Russ,

Has the Counterpoint III project been scrapped (for release as a TPA product) or is there any progress to report on it?
Old 28th May 2013, 04:37 PM   #2
shoom is offline shoom  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrows View Post
Hi Russ,

Has the Counterpoint III project been scrapped (for release as a TPA product) or is there any progress to report on it?
Hi Barrows
Good question and one which I was thinking about when I found your post.
Any news?
Old 29th May 2013, 01:17 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
Here is the situation - I have been worried about publishing this design. It is very special. It has definitely not been scrapped. But I am concerned it might be copied if I release it as a DIY project.

I am listening to a prototype of it now.
Old 29th May 2013, 01:36 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Russ...

Well, I am glad that you are at least very happy (apparently) with the performance! I guess the only way to protect circuit designs is through the patent process? Which is too bad, as it is very expensive. It is unfortunate that something like copyright laws do not apply to this, that would provide for easier protection than the patent process.
I hope that you find a way to share this design with TPA customers, I am very interested in trying it since I have discovered my preferred amplifier needs coupling caps on the Legato 3.
Old 29th May 2013, 01:40 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Oh I am happy indeed. I would say this is the best analog circuit I have ever done. It took me 4+ years to get it to this point. Designing, Simulating, building, testing, listening... There are hundreds of hours of effort in it.

We may go ahead and release it - but as a finished module only. No schematic.
Old 29th May 2013, 01:44 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Great...

News, I hope that it will become available. And, if it is as good as you say, congratulations are in order. Thanks for all you do for us. One request, if you do plan a release of a finished module, please allow for 2V output balanced, if not a little more.
Old 29th May 2013, 01:56 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks Barrows,

Truth be told. I am in this hobby because I love the process. There are so many things I have built for myself that will never make here on DIYAudio. The sad fact is sometimes it is simply because I have seen that people are very quick take advantage of other's hard work - and I don't care to give mine away.

I have boxes full of designs that have never graced these pages.

Don't get me wrong I love DIYAudio. There are some awesome folks here.

Unfortunately I am in a similar pickle with my USB module. I have a significant firmware breakthrough and I am not sure how to share it without making it common knowledge.

Sometimes I feel as if I may need to take a more commercial bent, and I just don't know if I am all about that yet.

I am thinking at some point it may come down to drawing a clean line between DIY efforts - and something more.

Cheers!
Russ
Old 29th May 2013, 02:05 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default Russ...

Understood. I used to work for a commercial audio company here in Boulder on the sales side. Releasing things commercially as finished products is no guarantee that they will not be copied, at least in my experience. And for most high end audio companies, enforcing a patent violation is not usually affordable as well-especially if the offending party is well heeled. We often did other things to try and protect designs, like potting, but that has its own problems as well…
Now you have me worried about the USB module , I guess I will live either way though
Old 29th May 2013, 02:08 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I am thinking I will still do the DIY USB module. But perhaps not with all my secret firmware sauce - or perhaps only available to a select few.

Last edited by Russ White; 29th May 2013 at 02:47 AM.
Old 29th May 2013, 11:47 AM   #10
shoom is offline shoom  Europe
diyAudio Member

Hi Russ
All good points and it must be frustrating to put so much work into something, make it available and then find a cheap ĎíTwisted Appleíí version popping up a few weeks later.
Iíd love to try your Counterpoint III but understand that some projects are personal and need careful consideration before going public with them.
Iím more than happy with my Buffalo III/Legato/Ventus set up as well as the OPUS/IVY3 which I have the pleasure of using so whatever you decide is fine by me.
As for using the hard work of others
Well in a way I feel thatís what Iím doing every time I switch on your superb DACís but at least Iíve paid for the privilege and maybe thatís the answer.
Iíd be happy to have the Counterpoint as a ready built module and pay a premium that reflects all of the work put into it.
The firmware issue is also a tough one but if you do decide to go ahead with the USB module (Iíve been waiting for that also) then Iím sure that youíd like it to be as good as it can be.
Just a few thoughts

Hide this!Advertise here!