Counterpoint III? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Twisted Pear

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 29th May 2013, 12:00 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
Thanks Shoom,

I really appreciate the support.

What put me off was being tipped to a few people who are actively reversing my work. And the really sad part is they are being encouraged by DIYAudio members.

I guess its bound to happen - but it still feels like theft.

As Barrows said, to some degree there is no avoiding it without going to extremes that bring their own issues.

I am not planning on scrapping the USB module.

Cheers!
Russ
Old 29th May 2013, 03:01 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Hi Russ, not sure what to say. Yes I guess we'd all like to hear your latest work, I've been with you from the start and your kits have got just got better and better.

But I too am saddened by IP 'theft' (for want of a better word) but it is the same in my line of work and does not seem very easy too avoid.

I'd love to hear both the Counterpoint III (a big fan of the earlier version) and your new USB module so even if you have to release them as finished products I'll be first in the queue.

Keep up the good work!

Russ

Last edited by rjbaldwin; 29th May 2013 at 03:04 PM.
Old 29th May 2013, 04:27 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Default Wow!

I am really sorry to hear this:

"What put me off was being tipped to a few people who are actively reversing my work. And the really sad part is they are being encouraged by DIYAudio members."

That just sucks. Whoever these people are, I hope that the wheel of karma will be in effect, shame on you if you are reading this thread.
I wonder if there is anything we can do as members of the community to discourage such practices?
Old 29th May 2013, 05:21 PM   #14
shoom is offline shoom  Europe
diyAudio Member

‘’That just sucks. Whoever these people are, I hope that the wheel of karma will be in effect, shame on you if you are reading this thread’’.

Well put
Old 4th June 2013, 08:15 AM   #15
Goto is offline Goto  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I'd love a new i/v, esp if it does away with the need (in my application) for caps to ac couple the output. Always anjoyed the old Counterpoint stage.

However you can deliver it, happy to follow Russ.

Mark
Old 4th June 2013, 09:52 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Russ, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

As long as you keep improving your work - perhaps keeping schematics private for the "flagship" products - you won't have to worry (too much) about copycats.
After all, that's a reality we have to face in any line of creative work.

I'm sure you are now better at this stuff than when you guys started Twisted Pear; and you'll only get better as time goes by.
The goal, IMHO, should be to reach a...Zen like state (pun intended), sharing designs like Nelson Pass does.
In fact, some of the Twisted Pear products (especially earlier products) have actually been based upon or influenced by such open projects of Mr. Pass or other stuff presented here.

Moreover, you will agree that the diyaudio community has helped develop/beta-test/improve Twisted Pear products over the years; plus offer ample "advertising" via word-of-mouth that I'm sure has helped build the TP name - and sales - over time (as most are members of other DIY & audio forums as well). Not to mention that many have actually built (free or for a fee) TP products for other audiophiles who, for example, wanted a Buffalo DAC but didn't have the skills to do so.

A few people reverse-engineering your work are bound to appear (show me a design which hasn't been copied), but I'm certain they don't have any backing (ethical or financial) from the majority of the community.
A few people might also criticize your work, find "errors", say they can do it better and whatnot. Again, this is to be expected when you expose your work - any work. Best-case scenario is that some of those comments include useful tips which help you improve your products.

Bottom line: I'll agree, for argument's sake, that the "TP on DIYAudio glass" is, perhaps, 10% empty, but I'd say we would *all* benefit if you managed to focus on the 90% that's full.
As a bonus, you'll live a happier life.

Last edited by TheShaman; 4th June 2013 at 10:05 AM.
Old 6th June 2013, 11:26 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

I agree with you. I have received a lot of benefit from the community - and I do appreciate it. I will get past this initial sting.

Thanks for the encouragement and kind words. You do indeed learn from all sorts of feedback, both positive and negative - if you are wise enough to listen.
Old 7th June 2013, 12:24 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

I would just add this. Brian and I both have always been very careful to respect intellectual property. Early on Brian and I worked with other members to bring their designs to DIY folks, but we always *only* ever did so with their blessing and explicit permission. Examples of this include the Twisted X BOSOZ(Nelson Pass), and Mauro's MyRef Rev C. I would not have it any other way. We have not carried any of these for quite a while, but we were proud of the way we went about bringing those to people - the right way.
Old 7th June 2013, 02:20 PM   #19
Goto is offline Goto  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Russ

I for one have always appreciated the integrity you and Brian bring to Twisted Pear Audio and your dealings with us rabid, demanding audio nuts. You stand up for what you believe and you stand behind your products and that is worthy of great respect because it is often easier and less time consuming to not do that.

The quality of your products and the way you behave is a credit to you both.

From the evolution of the various products in the dac line and the analogue stages and power supplies, it is evident you work hard and learn new things, then apply them and share them with us. Many of us have benefited from your efforts. I am sure your reward is more along that line than any monetary reward because it's hard to see where any great profit might come from.

There's a fair bit of your output in my signal path, and it gives me a great deal of pleasure. Thanks

Mark
Old 7th June 2013, 05:15 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Thanks Mark. And I thank you and others like you who give us purpose for our ideas and Twisted Pear's existence in the first place.

Cheers!
Russ

Hide this!Advertise here!