• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo IIISE DSD playback issue - nasty POP sound

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The DAC is behaving as it should... You are proposing hobbling the DAC for PCM for the sake of DSD. If you want to do that you can use Buffalo III. It's inputs are wide open. :)

I have not had any issue with any player that I have tried with my firmware so far, and I have no reason to suspect I would unless that player in faulty, in which case why would I want to use it?

I seriously doubt anyone else is doing it exactly the way I am. I wrote my own implementation.

Which player is giving you trouble?

I'm not sure what hobbling means. I have the Buffalo III, but I swapped it for the Buffalo IIISE. You say the player is faulty, but it works fine into another Saber32 DAC:) Email me and I'll respond with the players and interfaces I used.

Saying this as nicely as I can, that does not tell me anything. You need to describe it at the IC level.

I mis-understood the question. On test #1,#2 and #3 I used my Buffalo IIISE as is. The inputs are tied together and auto re-mapping function is on. I don't have the details on test #4 except what I wrote in the first post. He is using what you call the "faulty player" and he is not getting any POPs.

Russ, I wanted to update you on the what I found out this weekend by chance. It appears that the static burst I posted about back in April is related to DSF files that have cover art embedded in them. To test things I made up some test files with and without the cover art embedded in them and the DSF files without the cover art do not have the static bust at the end of playback...

Brian - thanks for chiming in.

Yes, I saw that post (#31) but in a later post (#33) there is mention of a reported bug that needed to be fixed. It wasn't clear to me if the implied bug was related to the DAC or something else. I took it as something with the DAC needed to be fixed.

In my case, I get a pop after the last song has completed playing. This happens with all DSD files whether native DSD files (DoP) or converted PCM files (.aiff & .flac) using HQ Player. I don't have this problem when feeding DAC PCM files.

Most of my files are either CD rips using dbPoweramp into .aiff or purchased hi-rez off of one the stores (e.g. HDTracks, Acoustic Sounds). Point being all my files should be fairly standard stuff, not ripped SACD files.

In any case I would REALLY like to get this resolved so any suggestions are welcome because I would like to use DSD only.

Brian - per your suggestion, I asked Jussi Laako, developer of the HQ Player,and here is his reply:

"The pop problem is usually related to DoP and how it works. iFi just released a firmware update for their iDSD Micro to deal with this issue.
For DACs equipped with ESS Sabre it is particularly challenging. When playback stops the DAC will eventually switch from DSD back to PCM.
HQPlayer is trying to minimize the pop at this point, but in the end DAC needs to have a certain look-ahead for the incoming data to gracefully switch back to PCM mode. DAC needs to engage the output mute circuitry when switching between PCM and DSD modes.

ASIO interface helps on this front, because it doesn't change format on the fly, but instead clearly switches format before starting playback (after stopping earlier playback). So there's a clear point in time when to toggle output mute."

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.