Buffalo IIISE DSD playback issue - nasty POP sound - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Twisted Pear

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 28th January 2014, 01:57 AM   #31
diyAudio Member

Russ, I wanted to update you on the what I found out this weekend by chance. It appears that the static burst I posted about back in April is related to DSF files that have cover art embedded in them. To test things I made up some test files with and without the cover art embedded in them and the DSF files without the cover art do not have the static bust at the end of playback...
Old 28th January 2014, 01:15 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
Thanks for the update. Yes, it makes perfect sense. The DAC will play what is presented to it, and that would just be a burst of noise. Seems odd anyone would ever do that.
Old 29th January 2014, 01:45 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ White View Post
Thanks for the update. Yes, it makes perfect sense. The DAC will play what is presented to it, and that would just be a burst of noise. Seems odd anyone would ever do that.
It's a bug and I'm expecting an update that corrects it. I appreciate your help and have been enjoying the DAC
Old 3rd October 2014, 05:19 PM   #34
ericuco is offline ericuco  United States
diyAudio Member

Was the problem with the burst of static ever resolved?

I have BIIISE and have the same issue (burst of static) when a DSD finishes playing (last song only). This occurs with both A+ & HQ Player music players.
Old 4th October 2014, 01:05 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericuco View Post
Was the problem with the burst of static ever resolved?

I have BIIISE and have the same issue (burst of static) when a DSD finishes playing (last song only). This occurs with both A+ & HQ Player music players.
Post #31
Old 4th October 2014, 04:05 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Brian - thanks for chiming in.

Yes, I saw that post (#31) but in a later post (#33) there is mention of a reported bug that needed to be fixed. It wasn't clear to me if the implied bug was related to the DAC or something else. I took it as something with the DAC needed to be fixed.

In my case, I get a pop after the last song has completed playing. This happens with all DSD files whether native DSD files (DoP) or converted PCM files (.aiff & .flac) using HQ Player. I don't have this problem when feeding DAC PCM files.

Most of my files are either CD rips using dbPoweramp into .aiff or purchased hi-rez off of one the stores (e.g. HDTracks, Acoustic Sounds). Point being all my files should be fairly standard stuff, not ripped SACD files.

In any case I would REALLY like to get this resolved so any suggestions are welcome because I would like to use DSD only.
Old 4th October 2014, 04:56 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

It's a player bug, not a DAC bug.
Old 5th October 2014, 08:01 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

Brian - per your suggestion, I asked Jussi Laako, developer of the HQ Player,and here is his reply:

"The pop problem is usually related to DoP and how it works. iFi just released a firmware update for their iDSD Micro to deal with this issue.
For DACs equipped with ESS Sabre it is particularly challenging. When playback stops the DAC will eventually switch from DSD back to PCM.
HQPlayer is trying to minimize the pop at this point, but in the end DAC needs to have a certain look-ahead for the incoming data to gracefully switch back to PCM mode. DAC needs to engage the output mute circuitry when switching between PCM and DSD modes.

ASIO interface helps on this front, because it doesn't change format on the fly, but instead clearly switches format before starting playback (after stopping earlier playback). So there's a clear point in time when to toggle output mute."
Old 5th October 2014, 08:15 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

Probably should mention that I am using a Mac Mini (Core Audio not ASIO) & Joro's I2SoverUSB board which I guess(?) could be causing the issue because of the automatic switching between DSD & PCM.

Hide this!Advertise here!