Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Twisted Pear

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 8th March 2013, 01:06 AM   #31
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goto View Post
Hi Russ

Great to hear you have found some proper hobby time to bring this project up to date.

If you are providing the option for off-boarding the Audio Master clock, a separate high performance master module with buffered outputs that could run both this device and the Buffalo might be a nice step up.

Thoughts?

Mark
Hi Mark - food for thought. But I think this particular module is useful in it's current incarnation.

Cheers!
Russ
Old 8th March 2013, 01:31 AM   #32
diyAudio Member

Default Also...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ White View Post
Hi Mark - food for thought. But I think this particular module is useful in it's current incarnation.

Cheers!
Russ
Mark: I think what Russ is trying to say, is that there might be little to no advantage to incorporating an external master clock. Consider the way he has this board configured (at least as I understand it): the processor (XMOS) is on the USB side, and the (onboard) master clock is on the isolated/output side. the masterclock will be a very good, low phase noise, part, with a clean power supply isolated from the processor and USB noise. The data stream will be re-clocked, directly by the onboard clock, on the isolated/output side. And, master clock output will be available on a u.fl connector to directly clock the Buffalo DAC in synchronous mode. If you distribute the masterclock signal from the board to the B-IIIse via a short u.fl cable, and run the I2S lines on short u.fl cables, you should have sonic performance which is about as good as it gets, with jitter levels fully isolated from the source noise (computer/server) and the processor noise, without having to use the asynchronous sample rate converter onboard the Buffalo.
Old 8th March 2013, 03:44 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Hi Russ
Will Placids current specs be suitable to be used as external power supplies?
Regards
Old 8th March 2013, 04:39 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisbock View Post
Hi Russ
Will Placids current specs be suitable to be used as external power supplies?
Regards
Yes.
Old 9th March 2013, 02:04 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunpei View Post
5. I2C control for DAC
Is the USB board configurable to send commands for setting registers in DAC over I2C?
Hi Russ,

I would love to have this capability, with the endgame objective to be able to utilise the volume control of the Buffalo (2) directly from within windows, without having to use an arduino or similar.

Really glad it's finally all coming together

Cheers,
Phil
Old 9th March 2013, 12:01 PM   #36
bluntje is offline bluntje  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Hi Russ,

Great to see the progress you have made! you mentioned the raspberry pi a while ago, how are your thoughts on that now?

Maarten
Old 9th March 2013, 12:53 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluntje View Post
Hi Russ,

Great to see the progress you have made! you mentioned the raspberry pi a while ago, how are your thoughts on that now?

Maarten
I enjoy playing with it. I have already done several several audio projects for it.

I think I would probably stick to using it as a host.
Old 9th March 2013, 02:55 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit02 View Post
Hi Russ,

I would love to have this capability, with the endgame objective to be able to utilise the volume control of the Buffalo (2) directly from within windows, without having to use an arduino or similar.
For those of us without Arduinos and still waiting for the AC2, this would be a most beneficial feature to say the least.
Old 9th March 2013, 07:37 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

This is interesting.

I'm looking to put together a multi amped "any speaker" PC setup.
That means all filtering handled by the PC, outputted by USB (8 channels), converted to I2S, feeding a Buffalo3.
Then 8 channels of amplification (a pair of sureelectronic 4x100W tk2050 is a likely candidate).
I figure with that setup, I can get any drivers I like, put them in a box and make them work properly in room with minimal effort.

I hope you don't mind me mentioning this here, but since TPA have such good rep here I don't think it will hurt you. I was looking at the USBStreamer to do the USB-I2S bit, will your board be able to manage it?
I have a lot of respect for your work, and going all TPA sounds preferable if it would work
Old 10th March 2013, 10:30 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

If I focus only on output - omit SPDIF - I could probably do up to 8 channels output only.

The problem is - I definitely want both input and output.

So perhaps after this module is done - I will turn my energy to an 8 channel output only version.

Hide this!Advertise here!