• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

4:1 or 4:2 mux....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm not entirely sure that I understand options #1 and #2, so I'll just weigh in with the functionality that would make my life easier. Ideally, I'd like to have a single board that allows for up to four inputs (each of which can be SPDIF/PCM/DSD) and one output. Is that even possible? I would like my DAC to support both coax and Toslink SPDIF as well as two different USB modules (Amanero for now, and the TPA USB module when it becomes available).

Let me try and help.
4x SPDIF inputs use this board
S/PDIF 4:1 Receiver/MUX Module
you can use RCA or BNC or one input can be configured for XLR-AES input.

you would then need a switch board (mux) like this
OTTO-II 2:1 Switching Module

this would allow you to switch the output of the above CS8416 based SPDIF input board to a USB input board like this

The USB DAC/Receiver

Now if you wanted TWO USB boards. then things get tricky as you would need 2x of the OTTO-II boards configured in a tree to get 3 inputs. which makes a case for a 4:1 or 4:2 I2S switch board.

Zc

I have pretty well settled on approach #2 :)

I think this fits the broadest use case.

This module will mainly be used to switch 4 channels of SPDIF into B3SE directly (since it has it's own level converter) - or - into B3 with the single SPDIF level converter in-between.

For switching PCM/DSD it would be very rare to need to switch more than 2 sources - so the OTTO-II is a perfect choice.

For B3SE you could easily wire both this new 4:1 module and the OTTO-II at the same time.

I plan on finishing up the layout this weekend, and ordering the first run then.

I will post the layout for you all to peruse. :)

Cheers!
Russ

Last edited:
Dear Russ,
for the less expert I kindly ask you:
which will be the practical differences between this new board and the actual S/PDIF 4:1 MUX/Receiver with CS8416?

Will you just change the IC with a more perfomance one and redesign the board with new feauters?

I'm asking also because I just bought the S/PDIF 4:1 MUX/Receiver...

Thx in advance,
GM

Dear Russ,
for the less expert I kindly ask you:
which will be the practical differences between this new board and the actual S/PDIF 4:1 MUX/Receiver with CS8416?

Will you just change the IC with a more perfomance one and redesign the board with new feauters?

I'm asking also because I just bought the S/PDIF 4:1 MUX/Receiver...

Thx in advance,
GM

The difference would be just that this module does no level conversion at all.

Dear Russ,
any update about availability?

Meanwhile: to switch between 4 spdif for the - BIII SE - do you reccommend to buy:

- the "old" MUX 4:1 CS8416 or
- the BIII 4-Channel S/PDIF Level Converter or

...better to wait this dedicated one when ready? :)

Thanks!
best regards,
GM

Last edited:
Dear Russ,
any update about availability?

Meanwhile to switch between 4 spdif to the - BIII SE - do you reccommend to buy:

- the "old" MUX 4:1 CS8416
- the 4-Channel S/PDIF Level Converter of the BIII?

...or... better to wait this dedicated one ready? :)

thx,
best regards,
GM

The "4-Channel S/PDIF Level Converter of the BIII" is not a switch. It simply converts four channels of consumer-level S/PDIF to TTL-level S/PDIF.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.