Legato 3, Common Mode DC and You. How do you choose to deal with it? - Page 8 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Twisted Pear

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 29th May 2013, 01:52 AM   #71
diyAudio Member

Default I...

do not fear them too much, hahaha. The problem is more "audiophillia nervosa" in nature, as I try to find the "best" cap to fit my needs. Yes, it is a problem. I have some fairly expensive Clarity MRs on the way for my L3 (still half the cost of a pair of decent transformers).
Old 25th June 2013, 12:53 AM   #72
mjock3 is offline mjock3  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Barrows

Sure would like to hear how the Clarity MR's sounded.
Old 25th June 2013, 04:49 AM   #73
diyAudio Member

Default OK...

Happy to oblige, and thanks for reminding me. Keep in mind this DAC is not yet finished, not in a chassis (it is mocked up on mdf), and I am still waiting for Russ to release his USB solution, as I expect it will address the shortcomings in the different options I have available right now (such as I prefer synchronous clocking of the B-IIIse, but one really needs 45.1584/49.152 master clocks from the USB interface to do this right up to 192 kHz, and having dedicated micro BNCs for really good connections on the I2S lines).
To the MRs. Previously I have used Mundorf Zn, which are tin foil and PP film, and Mundorf Supreme, which are metalized PP film. The Supremes were quite good, and I lived with them for some time with my Legato 2. Now, for my system, the MRs are better. My system is all solid state, and right now I am using the nCore amplifier. The Supremes, in comparison to the MRs, seem to have a little extra emphasis in the high frequencies, and the MRs are a better match with my system. Perhaps the MRs are a little smoother as well, with less grain, but I am cannot be sure (no way to easily A/B this). In any case I am enjoying music more with the MRs. Additionally, I did do some listening with another amp which does not require the caps at all, so I listened with the MRs vs no caps: I am not sure at all if I could hear any difference, again I could not A/B quickly, but this experience did allow me to accept the MRs as being quite transparent, I am happy.
Of course, if someone ever wants to gift me 4 1uF Duelund VSF copper foil caps I would be happy to try them!

Last edited by barrows; 25th June 2013 at 04:51 AM.
Old 25th June 2013, 09:31 PM   #74
diyAudio Member

Good to know. I will have to check the MR's out. I have my Buffalo III with the pin 1 not connected to the circuit board of the Legato 3.1 and run my Ncore mono's. I have pin 1 connected to the chassis of the DAC. Any reason to think that this will negatively affect the sound?
Old 25th June 2013, 09:46 PM   #75
diyAudio Member

Default Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjock3 View Post
Good to know. I will have to check the MR's out. I have my Buffalo III with the pin 1 not connected to the circuit board of the Legato 3.1 and run my Ncore mono's. I have pin 1 connected to the chassis of the DAC. Any reason to think that this will negatively affect the sound?
The approach you describe did not work for me with nCore, weird that it works for you? Wonder why. My amp is stereo, maybe that is a factor. I got lost of hum, and weird sounds with pin 1 not connected. Do you connect pin 1 of the XLR jack in the DAC to chassis, and the chassis to AC ground?
Old 25th June 2013, 10:02 PM   #76
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrows View Post
The approach you describe did not work for me with nCore, weird that it works for you? Wonder why. My amp is stereo, maybe that is a factor. I got lost of hum, and weird sounds with pin 1 not connected. Do you connect pin 1 of the XLR jack in the DAC to chassis, and the chassis to AC ground?
Yes, I connected pin 1 of the XLR jack to the chassis and the AC ground to the chassis. I removed the coating with some fine sand paper so that it was a good ground.

I should mention though that at one time did not have the AC ground connected when I was trying to chase a ground loop. And with the AC ground disconnected it did not add any additional hum.

Last edited by mjock3; 25th June 2013 at 10:16 PM.
Old 25th June 2013, 11:17 PM   #77
diyAudio Member

Default Well,

Now I am a little perplexed. I tried with Pin 1 left floating at the DAC end, and that did not work for me with nCore, and when connected it to chassis, but without the AC ground connected to chassis, that shoudl have the same outcome.
Guess I'll try again when I get a chassis going...
Old 25th June 2013, 11:55 PM   #78
diyAudio Member

Better to leave it floating.
Old 15th July 2013, 01:58 PM   #79
diyAudio Member

Dear Russ,
in the schematic of the type below (principle) referring to LC Audio Millennium XP (found on the net, www.lcaudio.com):

1. is it possible to link Legato 3.1 Balanced without coupling capacitor?
2. in case it is, floating (2 poles + - ) or with ground (3 poles)?

Thank you in advance!
GM
Attached Images
File Type: gif millennium xp principle.gif (11.9 KB, 161 views)
Old 15th July 2013, 02:35 PM   #80
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gianmaria View Post
Dear Russ,
in the schematic of the type below (principle) referring to LC Audio Millennium XP (found on the net, www.lcaudio.com):

1. is it possible to link Legato 3.1 Balanced without coupling capacitor?
2. in case it is, floating (2 poles + - ) or with ground (3 poles)?

Thank you in advance!
GM
You should have no problems using Legato w/o caps with that design. Simply connect + and -, but leave GND floating.

Hide this!Advertise here!