Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Twisted Pear

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 28th November 2012, 03:30 PM   #51
diyAudio Member

4est: I am recalling correctly that you run JC-1s? If so, can you confirm no issues running the L3 without caps into them?
The JC-1, I am pretty sure, has a servo in the input stage, so it might be OK with a little bit of offset anyway, but I am going by memory here and am not certain.
Old 28th November 2012, 06:50 PM   #52
4est is online now 4est  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes Barrows, I am running JC-1s. I am not sure about the inputs, but it did work.
Old 28th November 2012, 06:59 PM   #53
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I struggle with the idea of lifting the ground and floating 8-9v on the input pins, seems as if begging for trouble.
It's only 8-9V when there is a ground. Without ground, it's 0V. It's all relative.
Old 28th November 2012, 09:40 PM   #54
RollE2k is offline RollE2k  Sweden
diyAudio Member

So leaving GND floating on the output of legato i/v, there wouldn't be any trouble feeding these directly into the grids my balanced tube-linestage?
Old 28th November 2012, 11:07 PM   #55
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianDonegan View Post
It's only 8-9V when there is a ground. Without ground, it's 0V. It's all relative.
Yes, but ground is everywhere, well er umm, should be!
Old 29th November 2012, 12:03 AM   #56
diyAudio Member

Default The beauty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4est View Post
of floating grounds. I prefer floating grounds, no AC ground reference, no connection of signal ground to AC ground. This way, with balanced connections, all grounds are "virtual". This also eliminates circulating ground currents.
Warning: this is not recommended for people building their own stuff! Not connecting the AC ground might kill you! But I do it anyway, and so do some very well established major audiophile component makers of which I am aware.
With the nCores I am pretty sure this method will work well: BIIIse/Legato3 with no AC ground connection, no signal ground connection to XLR-cable-nCore amp, with pin 1 connected to chassis, no AC ground connection. No loops, no signal ground connection so no offset.
I know floating grounds seems to freak some people out, but it has worked quite well for me for awhile now, silent...
Old 29th November 2012, 01:10 PM   #57
diyAudio Member

Default DO NOT DO THIS, EVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrows View Post
of floating grounds. I prefer floating grounds, no AC ground reference, no connection of signal ground to AC ground. This way, with balanced connections, all grounds are "virtual". This also eliminates circulating ground currents.
Warning: this is not recommended for people building their own stuff! Not connecting the AC ground might kill you! But I do it anyway, and so do some very well established major audiophile component makers of which I am aware.
With the nCores I am pretty sure this method will work well: BIIIse/Legato3 with no AC ground connection, no signal ground connection to XLR-cable-nCore amp, with pin 1 connected to chassis, no AC ground connection. No loops, no signal ground connection so no offset.
I know floating grounds seems to freak some people out, but it has worked quite well for me for awhile now, silent...
AC Ground (Earth) SHOULD ALWAYS BE CONNECTED TO YOUR EQUIPMENT CHASSIS. ALWAYS. NO EXCEPTIONS.
Old 29th November 2012, 09:26 PM   #58
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4est View Post
That is true to a point, but 0V does not *have* to be DC coupled to say the mains earth. For certain the chassis and Mains GND should always be joined for safety.

From a signal point of view 0V is relative, and when talking about signal GND(0V) that does not necessarily need to be connected to mains GND at all. Though many times it is.
Old 30th November 2012, 05:58 PM   #59
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ White View Post
That is true to a point, but 0V does not *have* to be DC coupled to say the mains earth. For certain the chassis and Mains GND should always be joined for safety.

From a signal point of view 0V is relative, and when talking about signal GND(0V) that does not necessarily need to be connected to mains GND at all. Though many times it is.
Yes sir! That is what I meant, but still, the digital grounding gave me cause to wonder. I am running i2s, and unlike SPDIF, there is no transformer to assist in isolation. To be honest, I didn't think it all through, but I didn't want to force my DAC to signal ground >i2s>usb and>cpu. I guess I just assumed that the digital ground was tied to the Legato ground.
Old 30th November 2012, 06:28 PM   #60
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
That's the nice thing about balanced signals. GND is common mode. So there is little to fear about joining a digital ground.

Also, a great option if you want to not join digital and analog GNDs is to use a pair of teleporters. I have see people do this even between components in the same chassis, seems a bit overkill to me, but hey, you can do it.

Last edited by Russ White; 30th November 2012 at 06:31 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!