• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Consumer-level S/PDIF for BIII

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello! I am preparing to build a BIIISE as soon as the kits are available later this month. I've been reading Leon's excellent integration guide, but am confused about what I need for S/PDIF input.

The web page for the BIIISE states, under the inputs section, that "S/PDIF (Consumer-level or TTL-level)" are supported. However, the "Input options.." section of the integration guide says that the board only supports TTL S/PDIF and that for consumer-level S/PDIF, a comparator or other type of conversion is needed.

So what's needed to connect a standard consumer-level RCA S/PDIF (as in from a consumer CD player) to the BIII? Would that be this part?:S/PDIF Transceiver Module

Thank you for your help!

The SE version is much like the BII: it has an on-board comparator. It supports consumer and TTL level, unlike the BIII. But it also has limited input capabilities: you need an external switch to facilitate multiple inputs.

I don't know why Brian put the link from the BIII guide on the page of the SE version, as it's significantly different from the normal BIII, esp. on the in- and outputs. I'm still not sure what to do with the guide: make a separate version for the SE, or change everything to include both. There are a lot of differences, and the modules you need to build an equivalent of the BIII with it's multiple inputs are not yet announced, plus the SE units itself aren't shipping yet.

Add to this the fact that I don't have any further information about the changes made to the switches, no board lay-out, etc. and I think you'll understand why this board is very low on my priority list: I simply can't document it.

A little more detail...

The Buffalo-IIISE has six digital input pins:

• GND
  • D1
  • D2
  • DCK
  • GND
  • S/PDIF

This is the same as the Buffalo-II input section, except for an extra GND pad for S/PDIF ground.

S/PDIF is for consumer-level S/PDIF input, and is routed through an on-board level converter, which converts the 0.5Vp-p signal to TTL-level for the DAC.

As with the Buffalo-II, if you already have a TTL-level S/PDIF signal, you can connect it to D1, which bypasses the level converter.

I2S or DSD are connected to the D1, D2 and DCK pads, same as the Buffalo-II. This is where the similarities end...

With the Buffalo-IIISE, you can connect both S/PDIF and I2S/DSD at the same time, and switch between them by connecting the IP_S pads (foreground of the board picture on the web page). This will trigger the analog switches and toggle between the two inputs. For Arduino, etc, you can also trigger the switches with digital logic, by pulling the IP pin to GND.

If you want to switch between two I2S sources, I2S and DSD, or TTL-Level S/PDIF and I2S/DSD, you will need to use something like the OTTO-II.

Thanks everyone, for your your help! My build is only going to have a single S/PDIF and a single TOSLINK input. So, if I understand correctly, I will need the following from Twisted Pear:

(1) Buffalo-IIISE kit with AVCC and Tridents
(1) IVY III I/V stage
(1) TOSLINK module
(1) Placid HD
(1) Placid HD BP
(1) 9V 15VA transformer
(1) 15v 30VA transformer
(1) Hirose u.fl connectors

Anything else?

With the Buffalo-IIISE, you can connect both S/PDIF and I2S/DSD at the same time, and switch between them by connecting the IP_S pads
That's certainly an interesting setup. So basicly it's a Stereo-only BIII plus an updated AVCC module, Sidecar and single S/PDIF level converter all-in-one. That saves many people quite a bit of cash.

Anything else?
Please remember to build the Toslink module as a TTL level device.

If what you want is to convert the coax spdif digital out from the cd player to 5 volt TTL level signal take a look at this schematic and do likewise, it works and it´s simple. 26ls32 diff. line receiver

Attachments

• misical fidelity A3.24 DAC .jpg
    misical fidelity A3.24 DAC .jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 467
The BIII SE sounds like exactly what I need - a simplified and more compact Buffalo for 2 channel applications where space is at a premium. And for those of us just getting our feet wet with DIY DAC building, the added simplicity is a very welcome feature. Can't wait to order mine and get to work!

Last edited:
With the Buffalo-IIISE, you can connect both S/PDIF and I2S/DSD at the same time, and switch between them by connecting the IP_S pads (foreground of the board picture on the web page). This will trigger the analog switches and toggle between the two inputs. For Arduino, etc, you can also trigger the switches with digital logic, by pulling the IP pin to GND.
What gives the best sonically result Spdif to the Dac board or a Spdif 2 I2s board connected to the I2s on the DAC?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.