• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo III - SE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey Folks,

As you may know Brian and I have been busy prototyping and testing several new modules. Some of them are still in the works but one on them we are proud to announce now.

Say hello to the Buffalo III - SE (SE for Stereo Edition). The B-III-SE is basically a Buffalo III, with some cool new features and it was designed from the start to be friendly toward the most common DAC use case. Stereo and dual mono. Never fear we still plan on stocking the B-III for 8 channel apps, but this new DAC has some very compelling new features.

• It requires no jumpers for setting it up in stereo mode. Mono requires minimal setup.
  • It has simple input options - including being able to switch between PCM/DSD and SPDIF remotely - no more signal carrying switch as we had on the B-II.
  • On board comparator for SPDIF input.
  • It is designed to utilize our purpose build Trident and the newly redesigned AVCC module(more on that later).
  • Even more configuration options via the on-board firmware.
  • Flexible input options including optional UFL connectors for master clock, and audio data/clock inputs.

Take a look!

Attachments

• 2012-09-17_17-18-00_245.jpg
    2012-09-17_17-18-00_245.jpg
    483.8 KB · Views: 5,126
The motivation behind this new module is that we wanted to bring back much of the simplicity of the Buffalo II (this is actually much simpler) while taking advantage of the most significant new features of the Buffalo III.

We got a lot of feedback from users of the B-III - and one thing we hear consistently is that for the two most common use cases (stereo and mono with stereo being far the most common use case) the Buffalo III was a bit more work to configure than many users really wanted. In fact some people said they liked the Buffalo II better than the Buffalo III simply because it was easier to use.

We also got a lot of requests to make it easier to supply any master clock and to integrate coax type connectors, so we added UFLs and made it easy to disable the on board clock (just don't power it).

We also listened to past B-II users who did not like the "fiddly" (as one put it) switch for switching between PCM/DSD and SPDIF. In its place we have added a more sophisticated yet simpler to use BUSS switching system. No mechanical switching involved. All that is needed to switch between the two types of sources is an external switch, a controller, or a simple shunt type jumper (for fixed use). Very easy. :)

Also because we have freed up some of the port expander's I/Os we are able to offer even more flexibility in configuration.

We still retain all of the power of the on-board controller including volume control.

The result is the ability to create a very compact installation with fewer external modules required compared to the B-III.

Cheers!
Russ

Last edited:
We also listened to past B-II users who did not like the "fiddly" (as one put it) switch for switching between PCM/DSD and SPDIF. In its place we have added a more sophisticated yet simpler to use BUSS switching system. No mechanical switching involved. All that is needed to switch between the two types of sources is an external switch, a controller, or a simple shunt type jumper (for fixed use). Very easy. :)

Cheers!
Russ

Hi Russ, very nice!
Since this is stereo board, does the above mean you are taking advantage of input remap to free some pins for SPDIF input? (i.e., "unground" the input pins that were grounded in the BII?)

Hi Russ, very nice!
Since this is stereo board, does the above mean you are taking advantage of input remap to free some pins for SPDIF input? (i.e., "unground" the input pins that were grounded in the BII?)

No - because I didn't intend this module to be used in that way. Also the datasheet is emphatic about grounding unused input pins.

We have a much better solution coming for muxing spdif signals into the BUF II or BUF III-SE. :) Very much like the OTTO-II but 4 selections instead of 2.

Great, then i'll probably put in an order quite soon.. by the way Russ, i PM:d you a few days ago and haven't received any answer (question about ordering) could you please check it and give me an answer?
Also, how long time do you expect before you have them in stock, a few weeks?

This sounds like a great development. I like the ease of adding the master clock connection, it would be good if somehow you could still power the clock though but have it switched out. Now you have on board switching between i2s and spdif, I can see some of wanting to have the audiophile i2s synchronously clocked serious listening mode and then easy switching to spdif and async for listening to inferior sources such as dvd player etc. Will that be possible? I'll order one straight away if it is:). I can see an option like this really taking the buffalo sales into the stratosphere!

Stefan

While I understand that this circuit might be too complex for many forumers I would welcome a "raw" kit -PCB and parts without assembly- as this would be the real DIY.

There are a lot of reasons this would not be practical. For one, It would cost more in terms of time/effort and money to produce such a kit then we really have.

Plus I am not sure most people would agree that it is any more "real" DIY - or if that even really matters more than having a working module. :) It would however be a whole lot more work for the builder with a lot higher risk of ruining expensive parts.

No we are not planning on going that route.

Cheers!
Russ

This sounds like a great development. I like the ease of adding the master clock connection, it would be good if somehow you could still power the clock though but have it switched out. Now you have on board switching between i2s and spdif, I can see some of wanting to have the audiophile i2s synchronously clocked serious listening mode and then easy switching to spdif and async for listening to inferior sources such as dvd player etc. Will that be possible? I'll order one straight away if it is:). I can see an option like this really taking the buffalo sales into the stratosphere!

Stefan

I think the idea that synchronous clocking is somehow more "audiophile" is misguided at best. :)

While I certainly think providing a synchronous clock can sound really good - it can also sound worse (especially if you end up with longish clock routes). I would never say I think it sounds "better". Other's opinions not withstanding.

Live clock switching while certainly possible sounds fraught with unforseen issues. I would be hesitant to recommend it. Still if you wanted you could use and externally generated clock (synchronous or not) which could be switched using some kind of multiplexer. But you would also want to probably mute etc... Not a trivial thing.

Last edited:
I think the idea that synchronous clocking is somehow more "audiophile" is misguided at best. :)

While I certainly think providing a synchronous clock can sound really good - it can also sound worse (especially if you end up with longish clock routes). I would never say I think it sounds "better". Other's opinions not withstanding.

Live clock switching while certainly possible sounds fraught with unforseen issues. I would be hesitant to recommend it. Still if you wanted you could use and externally generated clock (synchronous or not) which could be switched using some kind of multiplexer. But you would also want to probably mute etc... Not a trivial thing.

In sync mode it will sound very good and much better than in async mode if the clock used is placed close to the DAC and capable to drive the transport.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.