• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo III - SE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

after reading through the BIIIse-Pro thread I got some questions about the new tridents-sr.
1: Would the tridents-sr/avcc-sr be also of benefit for the BIIIse (ES9018) with latest trident/avcc (shunt version). Or is this only true for ES9028/9038?

2: Should the voltage also be set up to 3.3/3.3/1.3 trident and 3.6 avcc?

Regards

Branko

Hi,

after reading through the BIIIse-Pro thread I got some questions about the new tridents-sr.
1: Would the tridents-sr/avcc-sr be also of benefit for the BIIIse (ES9018) with latest trident/avcc (shunt version). Or is this only true for ES9028/9038?

2: Should the voltage also be set up to 3.3/3.3/1.3 trident and 3.6 avcc?

Regards

Branko

1 - Absolutely! In fact I tested first with the ES9018.

2 - Yes - that scheme works well with that DAC as well.

Cheers!
Russ

I've got a BUFFALO III (non SE) that I finally had the time to put together. Left channel has distortion, especially noticable in a certain high-ish range. Otherwise fine. Any ideas what it could be?

It's hard to say - what output stage?

The first thought is that it is possibly a dead/damaged AVCC module? If you have a very old AVCC module I would highly recommend updating to the AVCC_SR.

Cheers!
Russ

1 - Absolutely! In fact I tested first with the ES9018.

2 - Yes - that scheme works well with that DAC as well.

Cheers!
Russ

Hello,

just tried the new Tridents which were bundled with my Buf 9038 SE pro on my older BIIIse.

I first lowered the Voltage of the Placid HD to 5V.

But with the new Tridents there was no sound (measured Voltages on Tridents, 3.3 and 1.3, and AVCC, 3.6, which all were OK). On the Placid I have 150 mA Shunt. When I swap the 1,3 V Trident Sr with the older Trident 1.2 V I have lock and music is playing. Do I need more current?

BR

Branko

See the...

Hmm nothing has Been mentioned about the Lme 49600 at the Mercury why? I really ca'nt use this.

Mercury thread, the design is explained quite well there.

If you have a bias against IC based designs, I would suggest suspending that and actually listening to the Mercury.

If you absolutely must have a discrete output stage due to ingrained personal beliefs, I would suggest, perhaps, designing one and sharing it with the community.

To Add to what Barrows wrote above - I was also sceptical of the LME49600 based design, having not really gelled with the part in another application.

However, in this application, Mercury i/v, it works brilliantly. B3SEPro (9038) and Mercury come to gether to make a design among the best da converters I've heard (and I've heard way too many for one lifetime). Don't let any preconceptions delay you trying this combo at least - if you still don't like it then, as Barrows suggests, we'd all love to hear something that does a better job.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
I put the new 9028s on top of my old (tweaked, discrete) Legatos and the improvement was surprising. Versus 9018s, the additional DAC current is very noticeable as higher output voltages/volumes yet the quality of on-chip volume control is good enough to maintain the resolution advantages in the lower end of the volume range. The LME49600 on the one Legato used for headphones, however, bit the dust. Overdriven? No problem, I had stopped using it anyway...

Last edited:
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Should have added...

IMO, the BIII Pro boards (running PCM, in my case) represent such a significant step forward in signal 'purity' that my own biases about what is important downstream from the DACs have been seriously challenged. ...and that goes all the way to the drivers that are pumping air... There's much less 'junk' that the downstream system needs to somehow manage/filter/neutralize.

I put the new 9028s on top of my old (tweaked, discrete) Legatos and the improvement was surprising. Versus 9018s, the additional DAC current is very noticeable as higher output voltages/volumes yet the quality of on-chip volume control is good enough to maintain the resolution advantages in the lower end of the volume range. The LME49600 on the one Legato used for headphones, however, bit the dust. Overdriven? No problem, I had stopped using it anyway...

The 9028 outputs the same amount of current that the 9018 output, so overdriving the Legato in not really possible.

I am sorry Brian and Russ. I am so dissapointed because off the Lme 49600. In.my oppinion IT destroys everything Called High end. I try to repair with colouring with cables and Kasei.

To Add to what Barrows wrote above - I was also sceptical of the LME49600 based design, having not really gelled with the part in another application.

However, in this application, Mercury i/v, it works brilliantly. B3SEPro (9038) and Mercury come to gether to make a design among the best da converters I've heard (and I've heard way too many for one lifetime). Don't let any preconceptions delay you trying this combo at least - if you still don't like it then, as Barrows suggests, we'd all love to hear something that does a better job.

Thanks I give IT a try.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
The 9028 outputs the same amount of current that the 9018 output, so overdriving the Legato in not really possible.

I’m no engineer (obviously! :p) but output levels definitely increased when I swapped in the new B3s - with no other changes. This extra amplitude is actually welcome. I don’t particularly care what happened to the LME49600s - the balanced -> SE circuits are no longer powered nor needed.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.