• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo III - SE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Russ,

made the following observation today. Hang a scope to the DAC output and ran sinuses and squares up and down (at 24Bit / 192kHz using AudioTest software).

- at around 5kHz already the square looks more like a sinus
- at around 20kHz the output level starts to decrease towards higher frequencies, dropping to half of it's initial value at around 25kHz

Could there be an explanation to this, does anything come to your mind, please?

To be sure, I've exchanged for a different DAC, everything else being the same and none of the above happened.

Regards,
Abel

Do you have a true differential input for your scope? If not you may get some odd results.

In any case if you are using the DAC without any output stage then any measured effect would be from the chip itself, and only ESS could really fully answer your question.

Otherwise if you are using an output stage you may just be observing the effect of the low pass filter, which you could adjust to your desires.

Thanks Russ!

The scope has no differential input, but I've measured between ground and one of the outputs without any difference in results - other then the normal halving of output level.

I've assumed you must have done similar measurements and can tell me what you've found, thought it's part of developing such a product. Don't see how this has to do with ESS.

I've tried it without output stage (balanced to unbalanced 1:1 transformer) as well, to be sure the transformer is not interfering - with the before mentioned results.

Seems I'll have to put my BufII back in to run the test for comparison - tried to avoid though in order to not stress the uFl connectors too much.

If anybody else did similar tests, or can do, please feel free to chime in ... I'm really curious now ...

News from "Le Mont Saint Michel"

Hello friends, some news of my amazing B3se, magic little box :p

Almost "finished", I have an idea to shield much of the power cables and USB cable. Perhaps also make a little "Faraday cage" with steel mesh around the DAC. I will also soon receive Clairvoyant cables and I'll change my RCA cables with copper 24AWG GPOCC. I bought enough to wire all the way of the sound from the B3se to my dual mono SKA amps (actually in construction), and then to my future Visaton speakers, certainly next year :)

Here are some pictures, I do not really like trafos portion, I was in a hurry to finish ... Separation is made with: steel 1mm + copper 0.08mm + mumetal 0.1mm all to the ground.
http://imageshack.us/a/img854/8086/m7qa.jpg http://imageshack.us/a/img839/1613/1nsb.jpg and my amp in progress http://imageshack.us/a/img41/3971/amplir.jpg

I have a question, I currently using the single-ended output, my amp does not have XLR. I saw a trick to switch XLR to RCA and I would like your opinion. This is what happens:
connectique_bf_asym_xlr_rca.gif

1) Is it feasible? Is it going to sing better? More dynamic ?

2) I have a Sony XB790 SACD player, do you think it is possible to use B3se for decoding its DSD ? Which connectors/cables ? I don't have open it yet, but I ask in case of...

I am also in the process of looking for someone who could test my DAC, including THD, SNR, noise etc ... Like this test of an 105 tweaked Oppo (U.S. product again!) Test OPPO Muse modifiés par Espace-musical : une meilleure écoute analogique | Haute Définition sur HDfever I'd love to compare the results, and maybe do some TPA advertising at the same time ^^
I'm just a beginner in DIY/tweaking electronic, but I'm very pleased to have chosen your products. Thanks to all the TPA community, and to Leon for the PDF files !

I leave you, I return to my SKA project, and sorry for my poor english :spin:
Bye for now, Manu
edit: despite my young age, I'm listening this right now, unrecognized masterpiece of this great artist http://youtu.be/6_w6n9oSW3o

Last edited:
Hi Manu,

Not bad at all! Nice job!

No - you would not want to wire the balanced outputs like you pictured (in fact this would be very bad). You should definitely be using the SE outputs as you have. :)

It is possible to fee the B3SE DSD, but you will need to mod your SACD player and use something like our "Teleporter" modules to transport the DSD signals.

Cheers!
Russ

Last edited:
Account Closed
Joined 2001
Thanks Russ!

The scope has no differential input, but I've measured between ground and one of the outputs without any difference in results - other then the normal halving of output level.

I've assumed you must have done similar measurements and can tell me what you've found, thought it's part of developing such a product. Don't see how this has to do with ESS.

I've tried it without output stage (balanced to unbalanced 1:1 transformer) as well, to be sure the transformer is not interfering - with the before mentioned results.

Seems I'll have to put my BufII back in to run the test for comparison - tried to avoid though in order to not stress the uFl connectors too much.

If anybody else did similar tests, or can do, please feel free to chime in ... I'm really curious now ...

Abel,

Most likely this is some sort of anomaly with the production of your digital source square waves and/or maybe a measurement issue of some sort.
I performed a test on my BIII-SE and square waves produced look as expected.....either directly from the BIII or via my IVY I/V stage. They exhibit the Gibbs phenomenon, but a 5khz square wave still looks pretty square. :)

Cheers,

Dave.

Thanks Speedskater, I'll read this later.

I'd like to know if it would be possible to add a HDMI input ?
Most of BR players now have a 2nd HDMI out just for the audio, and I'd like to know if it could be possible to use this option to feed the Buffalo.

An Oppo 103 as a drive and the B3se for decoding ? I think it's the only option to get the DSD of my SACDs into the Buffalo and it would be soooo cool :) Otherwise I'd have to sell my Buffalo and buy a Oppo 105, not fun... And expensive just for stereo...

other options...

Thanks Speedskater, I'll read this later.

I'd like to know if it would be possible to add a HDMI input ?
Most of BR players now have a 2nd HDMI out just for the audio, and I'd like to know if it could be possible to use this option to feed the Buffalo.

An Oppo 103 as a drive and the B3se for decoding ? I think it's the only option to get the DSD of my SACDs into the Buffalo and it would be soooo cool :) Otherwise I'd have to sell my Buffalo and buy a Oppo 105, not fun... And expensive just for stereo...

I doubt there is any way TPA could offer a solution for HDMI input, as doing so would likely require paying the high HDMI licensing fees. Additionally it has been reported that HDMI is a terrible interface for digital audio (high jitter).
There are better ways to play BR audio through your Buffalo, if you just want the audio. You can mod a BR player and tap the I2S feed internally, and use a Teleporter to send it to the Buffalo. Or you can embrace computer audio, then it is possible to rip the audio off of the BR disc and play it back via your computer audio system: this will result in the best sound quality possible when done right. For SACD there are two options: internally mod a SACD player to tap the DSD stream, and use TPA teleporters to get the DSD stream to the Buffalo, or, rip the DSD layer on the SACD, and play it back via a computer audio system. Ripping of the DSD layer can be done, but it is involved and tricky (Google to find more info). Alternatively, you may be able to find a friendly audiophile in your area who has the equipment and know how to rip DSD from SACDs, and you may be able to get him to help you out there.

Hi, another question... If I want to add an Anamero USB card, or an other one (next TPA's one?) with direct DSD to play both PCM and DSD over USB with Foobar, can I plug this card directly on the B3SE ?

I think I have to plug an OTTO between the USB card and the B3SE to switch between DSD and PCM, right ?

One more, my placid HD is warming a lot, even with a huge heatsink. I think it's due to the 9V transformer, I'd like to bring a 6V/10VA for my B3SE, no problem ?

Thanks a lot guys, rookie inside :)

Hi, another question... If I want to add an Anamero USB card, or an other one (next TPA's one?) with direct DSD to play both PCM and DSD over USB with Foobar, can I plug this card directly on the B3SE ?

I think I have to plug an OTTO between the USB card and the B3SE to switch between DSD and PCM, right ?

One more, my placid HD is warming a lot, even with a huge heatsink. I think it's due to the 9V transformer, I'd like to bring a 6V/10VA for my B3SE, no problem ?

Thanks a lot guys, rookie inside :)

As long as your USB interface maps the DSD the same way as the B-IIIse, there is no need to have separate inputs for DSD/PCM. The B-IIIse accepts DSD and PCM on the same input and will auto switch between the two.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.