• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo III - SE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can the BIIISE controller work with a BII for volume control? I have two use cases, first for a four channel setup and second for a dual mono setup? If I had a multichannel I2S source like the exadevices USB or eventual Twisted Pear USB board, would there be any complications using these two different version together for either use case? I am considering an upgrade or addition and am trying to figure out whether to keep the BII and add a BIISE or whether it would be better to use only the BIII products together.

I'm very interested, but I have some dumb questions :
SPDIF input, can I simply connect it to a BNC/RCA connector to be connected by coax to CD player ?
For SPDIF/I2S input switch, what type : momentary or non momentary ?
Can it accept I2S from CM6631 USB interface like this one :CM6631 24bit 192kHz USB to Coaxial and Optical Fiber Board New Version | eBay

I all the above are yes, so what I need :
Buffalo III board with trident regs
IVY / Legato or other balanced to unbalanced converter
regulated power supply to power Buffalo III board

Am I correct ?

I'm very interested, but I have some dumb questions :
SPDIF input, can I simply connect it to a BNC/RCA connector to be connected by coax to CD player ?
For SPDIF/I2S input switch, what type : momentary or non momentary ?
Can it accept I2S from CM6631 USB interface like this one :CM6631 24bit 192kHz USB to Coaxial and Optical Fiber Board New Version | eBay

I all the above are yes, so what I need :
Buffalo III board with trident regs
IVY / Legato or other balanced to unbalanced converter
regulated power supply to power Buffalo III board

Am I correct ?
In order:
- yes
- non-momentary: you need to pull the contact to ground for the other input to work
- likely, but do remember there are many variables in I2S signal configuration. Fi. in some cases you might need a microcontroller to change the alignment.
- You need to add a bi-polar PSU for the I/V stage.

In order:
- yes
- non-momentary: you need to pull the contact to ground for the other input to work
- likely, but do remember there are many variables in I2S signal configuration. Fi. in some cases you might need a microcontroller to change the alignment.
- You need to add a bi-polar PSU for the I/V stage.

Thanks Leon. I already have John Broskie's BCF. As Buffalo III SE can be configured as Vout, I don't need other analog output stage, right ? I just want to re-use what I already have.

How about this USB interface : http://www.ebay.com/itm/24bit-192kH...mplifier_Parts_Components&hash=item4d0644e5ae
(there's a spec of it's I2S output on the bottom of the page)

Last edited:
Can the BIIISE controller work with a BII for volume control? I have two use cases, first for a four channel setup and second for a dual mono setup? If I had a multichannel I2S source like the exadevices USB or eventual Twisted Pear USB board, would there be any complications using these two different version together for either use case? I am considering an upgrade or addition and am trying to figure out whether to keep the BII and add a BIISE or whether it would be better to use only the BIII products together.

You would want to control them separately. The best way would be custom firmware.

Hi, I just ordered the Buffalo III SE with regs for use with Amenero usb to I2s converter. I don't have much experience with digital - build valve amps and horns. I am interested how best to interface the Buff III with a valve input stage. I modded a TDA1541 based Sony337 CDP by just wiring the (dual) chip up to a 20 Ohm resistor on the tube grid (d3a) for I/V (a la Lampizator) and like the results.

I understand the Buff III is selectable for either V or I out. AC coupling the V out would indicate a transformer perhaps? If so what kind of spec is needed?. If using I out, would a simple low R on the 1st tube stage do it OK? What is the standard way - is this an external function? Sorry if not up to speed. Grateful for any advice.

Hi, I just ordered the Buffalo III SE with regs for use with Amenero usb to I2s converter. I don't have much experience with digital - build valve amps and horns. I am interested how best to interface the Buff III with a valve input stage. I modded a TDA1541 based Sony337 CDP by just wiring the (dual) chip up to a 20 Ohm resistor on the tube grid (d3a) for I/V (a la Lampizator) and like the results.

I understand the Buff III is selectable for either V or I out. AC coupling the V out would indicate a transformer perhaps? If so what kind of spec is needed?. If using I out, would a simple low R on the 1st tube stage do it OK? What is the standard way - is this an external function? Sorry if not up to speed. Grateful for any advice.

Hi Truetone. Check out the thread Buffalo and Transformers. There is a lot of good information in that thread that should answer all your questions.

I noticed you're accepting pre-orders, but there's no "add to cart" button beside the BIIISE kits. Is there another procedure for pre orders or did I just miss out?

I opened the pre-orders up for a limited number of units so I would not be completely overwhelmed. I will have plenty in stock, and they will be available in a few days.

For complete the buffalo dac IIISE with 2 s/pdif input . I will need the following modules ?:
-Buffalo-IIISE 2-Channel DAC $379 USD
-Legato v3.1 Kit for Buffalo-II $115.00 USD
-Placid HD Power Supply Kit $60.00 USD
-Placid HD Bipolar Power Supply Kit $90.00 USD
-15V+15V (30VA) Power Transformer $25.00 USD
-9V+9V (15VA) Power Transformer $23.00 USD

The S/PDIF transceiver module is required for buffalo III SE?.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.