Buffalo III - SE - Page 42 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Twisted Pear

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 6th May 2014, 05:31 AM   #411
ericuco is offline ericuco  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Remote control module

Just picked up a remote control module with a 10k pot from John Chapman at Bent Audio. Normally his modules have 50k pots but he just happened to have some 10k's on hand and was kind enough to do the modification for me at no extra charge.

According to John "You can use one of the pot decks if you want 10k or parallel both decks if you want to run it at 5k".

Really nice guy to deal with & he did the modification & had it to me in about one week.
Old 7th May 2014, 12:50 PM   #412
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericuco View Post
Just picked up a remote control module with a 10k pot from John Chapman at Bent Audio. Normally his modules have 50k pots but he just happened to have some 10k's on hand and was kind enough to do the modification for me at no extra charge.

According to John "You can use one of the pot decks if you want 10k or parallel both decks if you want to run it at 5k".

Really nice guy to deal with & he did the modification & had it to me in about one week.
The volume curve may be a little funky using an audio taper pot.
Old 7th May 2014, 02:22 PM   #413
diyAudio Member

Default Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianDonegan View Post
The volume curve may be a little funky using an audio taper pot.
The VC control this poster is referring to is not a typical log function taper, it is linear, so no worries there. I actually just built an external remote volume control for a friend using this same motorised pot set up and a mini XLR cable into my friends B-IIIse based DAC and it is working perfectly. I connected the two pots in parallel. I think the Bent audio folks may have a few more of these laying around they want to get rid of so anyone looking for a simple way to add remote VC to B-III/B-IIIse might consider picking one up.
Old 7th May 2014, 08:01 PM   #414
ericuco is offline ericuco  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrows View Post
it is linear, so no worries there. .
Correct, it is a linear ALPS 844G 10KBX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrows View Post
I think the Bent audio folks may have a few more of these laying around they want to get rid of so anyone looking for a simple way to add remote VC to B-III/B-IIIse might consider picking one up.
Correct again, John mentioned "by a fluke I have some 10K linear alps around - not a lot but some here. I just a while back sent a couple to an OEM for a similar application and originally I bought them for that kind of thing here on a volume control pcb I was building for testing."
Old 17th May 2014, 02:00 PM   #415
diyAudio Member

The German rep for Alps has 10k linear taper dual channel motorized pots - bought some for my Volumite/Joshua Tree built with Vishay bulk foils - works just fine. Added some Ebay Chinese Alps remote volume controls and motor controller boards (came with 100k audio taper pots, but subbing the 10k Alps linear fitted easily - parallel both channels to get 5 k linear and used it to remotely operate the DC control voltage. Beats my Electroswitch /non-magnetic Holco resistor previous stepped level control for resolution (it better - it cost enough for the Vishays) and I have remote control.

Have enough extra sets of 10k 2 channel linear taper motorized pots and remote control boards for my Buffalo III SE build later this year

Last edited by ticknpop; 17th May 2014 at 02:23 PM.
Old 25th May 2014, 06:09 PM   #416
drone is offline drone  Germany
diyAudio Member

Default No Lock

Hi,

already posted this in the support forum bur got no answer:

"just received two new Buffalo 3se dad boards for me and a friend. today we together soldered the parts.
and now one se3 has lock when i connect it to a source (M2tech Highface Usb to spdif) and the other has no lock with the same connections.

already checked and resolderd anything ( three times). all smd-led are working. the voltage measured at the tridents are ok (1,16 v, 3,23 v, 3,23 v) and right position. AVCC 3,4 V out booth sides Terminal blocks measured. led tested.
but only mute is on; no lock?"

how to proceed now? where to measure to narrow the problem down?

thx

branko
Old 18th August 2014, 08:49 AM   #417
drone is offline drone  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hello again,

looking for the right way to use the (new) 4:1 Mux/Demux Digital Switch and 4-Input Selection Switch (this version has a place for Jumper J1) for Buffalo IIIse?

I have connected 5V and GND to booth boards (on 4-Input Selection Switch to header: pin 2 and 4). Led light (1 to 4 onboard) up when i turn the switch but there seems not to be a signal changing.
Should header pin 6 (low) go to S0 and pin 8 (high) to S1 on Mux board? have I to use the jumper?

Thx

branko

(same post in support forum but no answer)

Last edited by drone; 18th August 2014 at 08:51 AM. Reason: typo

Hide this!Advertise here!