Buffalo III - SE - Page 40 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Twisted Pear

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 18th February 2014, 11:23 AM   #391
Crom is offline Crom  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I'm interested in this too and starting to get underway with some research.

I have tried using 3m rfi sheets. Small squares stuck onto the clock appeared to improve the focus of the sound (instrument positioning) but if I did the same to the DAC chip itself then the sound seemed like it got more boxed in. I'm testing one of Ian's FIFO re-clocking boards and this is proving revelatory - surprising seeing as I thought the sound was excellent to start with ;-)

Ian’s I2S FIFO Re-clocker: Single-digit psec Jitter | H i F i D U I N O

Ian's clock board also provides mounting hooks for rubber band 'floating' - again, not tried this but I will do when it comes to box things up properly.

I read somewhere that 70 degrees is the safe limit for the DAC chip but that figure is from elesewhere on here. I'm sure the data sheet will have the authoratitive figure but I haven't checked yet.

I quite like was hifiduino is doing with his shielding (and damping) and I'm definitely going to try: TEST | H i F i D U I N O

Other people have mounted their boards onto Acrylic which I need to research.

Hope this helps.
Old 23rd February 2014, 09:14 PM   #392
diyAudio Member

I'm in the process of upgrading from dual-mono BII to dual-mono BIIISE. To get all eight DACs into parallel for one mono channel, is it necessary to jumper the left and right stereo outputs as was done with BII?

Thanks,

Dave
Old 24th February 2014, 09:08 PM   #393
diyAudio Member

One more question regarding dual-mono configuration: Does the connection between the two mono boards via I2C header eliminate the need to connect digital sources directly to the slaved mono board? When two digital inputs into the master board are toggled, does the slaved board follow the switch automatically?
Old 25th February 2014, 09:22 AM   #394
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by picovolt View Post
The first thing I'd like to try is some vibration damping, especially on the clock, but also possibly on the Sabre chip too.
Does anyone have specific experience in damping these parts? Typically I have used either bitumen pads, blu-tack, or silicon as a damping in other projects (none of them digital though).
I had some good results last night with blu-tak. I didn't get to forensic (in terms of which was best) but just put a blob about 1cm3 onto each of the clocks, Ian's FIFO main chip and the Waveio main chip = more focus and deeper soundstage. I was the only one listening so presumably I'm susceptible to the usual psychological phenomena. I had it running for a couple of hours before applying and then an hour afterwards. Definitely preferred the latter hour. I'll see if I can repeat the other way today to check that it wasn't a warm up thing....but after 2 hours it should be fine.
Old 25th February 2014, 09:26 AM   #395
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Garretson View Post
One more question regarding dual-mono configuration: Does the connection between the two mono boards via I2C header eliminate the need to connect digital sources directly to the slaved mono board? When two digital inputs into the master board are toggled, does the slaved board follow the switch automatically?
If I've interpreted this correctly, you still need I2S connections to both boards. I've never tried switching inputs on the BIIIse but seeing as the slave follows the master board in every other regard I guess it will be the same here.

I'd definitely have a read of leon's guide on the TPA site - good dual mono info in there. Also, re your previous question, do a search on the TPA forum for my name as I got horribly confused when first connecting dual mono up and got some good help - with diagrams - in a couple of threads there.

HTH.
Old 25th February 2014, 01:17 PM   #396
diyAudio Member

Crom, I've read Leon's guide and am still confused about source switching in dual mono mode. BII dual mono set-up connects S-PDIF source to S-PDIF input terminal on one board and cascades S-PDIF source to D1 input terminal on the second mono board. I think that taking this approach with dual mono BIIISE would defeat the source switching capability-- as S-PDIF and D1 inputs would be cross-connected. On the other hand, everything looks straight-forward if whatever switchable source at the input block of the master board, passes to the slave board through the I2C header. In this instance there would be no need to connect to the input terminals on the slave board. The third option would be to connect the S-PDIF source in parallel to S-PDIF terminals on both boards. I this case I'm guessing that the altered input impedance of the paralleled connection might not be optimal.

Clarification from TP or Leon would be appreciated.
Old 25th February 2014, 08:03 PM   #397
LeonvB is offline LeonvB  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

You need to connect them in parallel. The I2C bus is only a means of communication between the 2 DAC chips to make some settings.
Old 25th February 2014, 09:14 PM   #398
diyAudio Member

Thanks, Leon. For dual mono, do the analog outputs of each board need to be externally jumpered in opposing phase (as with BII), or is this done internally without the need for an external jumper?
Old 26th February 2014, 03:29 AM   #399
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
It depends on how you want to configure the output stage(s).

If you want to use one output stage - then yes you would do as you would with BII.
Old 26th February 2014, 04:10 AM   #400
cjf is offline cjf  United States
diyAudio Member

Hello,

I will admit upfront that I haven't completed reading thru this whole thread yet but intend to do so in the coming weeks. What I can say is that based on what I have seen thus far about this DAC my interest has been peaked enough to make this post.

So with that said I have a question I'm hoping someone can answer about the twisted pear product and what an outsider could expect if they choose to build one.

So, for those that have built a DAC based on this board how would you say it stacks up as far as SQ and low noise goes against some of the readily available and well reviewed DACs on the market that are already assembled (ie...Ayre QB9, Weiss 202, Berkeley Alpha DAC...etc..etc) if we exclude price from the equation?

Is it fair to compare these other DACs with the Twisted Pear offerings and is Twisted Pears goal to be able to compete with these other choices on the market?

I am pretty new to the whole DIY scene but have dipped my toes into the water enough to build my own Hypex NC400 Amps. I enjoyed the project very much and have since been itching to give a DIY DAC build a go and the Twisted Pear seems like a nice candidate but only if it could potentially be as good or better then what I could get already made if done correctly (within reason).

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Hide this!Advertise here!