Buffalo III - SE - Page 39 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Twisted Pear

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 14th January 2014, 11:35 PM   #381
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
1) I would get the Trident/AVCC since I designed them particularly for the purpose. This way you can compare if you like.

2) I don't know why not.

3) Those transformers should be fine - but it would not hurt to double the 15V for amperage. But 30VA should be ok.

4) You will have a fine DAC with this setup. Enjoy!

The only way to make it simpler would be to use the IVY-III - many people try both the IVY and the Legato. Both have their merits.

Cheers!
Russ
Old 15th January 2014, 06:06 AM   #382
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ White View Post
1) I would get the Trident/AVCC since I designed them particularly for the purpose. This way you can compare if you like.

2) I don't know why not.

3) Those transformers should be fine - but it would not hurt to double the 15V for amperage. But 30VA should be ok.

4) You will have a fine DAC with this setup. Enjoy!

The only way to make it simpler would be to use the IVY-III - many people try both the IVY and the Legato. Both have their merits.

Cheers!
Russ
Thank you for the answer.In the mean time I decided to go with the Tridents/AVCC since I want for the start to have it as it was designed, later maybe I will play a bit, maybe not.

I will also go with the 9V/15V transformers from your offer.

Before I place my order (still waiting for Paypal approval) I would like to ask two more question:

-Which USB board is preffered for the B3SE (excluding the awaited TPA board) ? I was thinking to get the Wave IO, and if possible to power it from a separate 9V transformer with a separate Placid HD.First is this possible and second will the new TPA board work with this for the future so I can change the Waveio?

-If I want to use USB and Toslink inputs only, do I need some source selector or how it's the most simple way to switch between the source? Even automatic source detecting will be good for me.If this is already explained please point me to it...

Thanks again
Old 15th January 2014, 08:51 PM   #383
LeonvB is offline LeonvB  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

- I think Russ likes the Amanero
- Yes. Use IP_S to switch between I2S and spdif input. This is outlined in the guide, page 36. A simple switch is all you need.

Note: I've just uploaded a new version of the guide.
Old 15th January 2014, 09:20 PM   #384
diyAudio Member

Yes, of the current crop - the Amanero is a very good unit. I don't hesitate to recommend it.
Old 16th January 2014, 08:08 AM   #385
DQ828 is offline DQ828  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonvB View Post

Fantastic work again, it makes a huge difference having such quality information.
Old 17th January 2014, 08:35 PM   #386
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonvB View Post
As others have saidóthanks so much for doing this. I would not have been able to get my DAC up and running without your guides.

There is one possible update you should make. For the I2S cables, 10cm is too long for anything over 192khz; at least it seems to be. With the wave board I can sync up to 192 with 10cm cables; I have 5 and 6 cm cables on order. Lucian (Wave designer) tests with 5cm cables. (It's possible that other 384 khz designs are not as sensitive to this, but my guess is that the 10cm you recommended was based on 192 being the fastest rate used.)
Old 17th January 2014, 09:57 PM   #387
LeonvB is offline LeonvB  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Thanks again.

I think it says "below 10cm". It's not my measurement actually, it's from a researcher from Philips when answering the question "for which path length was I2S designed?". And you are correct, that's from a paper quite some years back. 32/384Khz wasn't on their radar back then.

You know, when I wrote that people were actually telling me it was possible to achieve much greater lengths. On the other hand, manufacturers like IDT say I2S should be below 300 mil (approx. 7.62mm).

For now, the text remains what it is. 192Khz is already high resolution, and you should be able to use 10cm cables for that signal. At least it'll stop people from trying to run I2S over wires that are way too long.
Old 5th February 2014, 02:44 AM   #388
diyAudio Member

I bet a lot of you might be interested in this:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digit...tter-pear.html
Old 16th February 2014, 12:12 PM   #389
manudrz is offline manudrz  France
diyAudio Member

Nice, some news about USB
Finally, I managed to get sound from my spdif input... It seems I've always tried with the gnd and spdif inverted............................ Yeah, I also think I should stop DIY
But, finally everything is OK
Old 17th February 2014, 06:40 PM   #390
diyAudio Member

Default Clock and Sabre vibration damping

Since everything's been running smoothly, and all nicely broken in, I'm beginning to look at ways to tweak the BIIIse board. The first thing I'd like to try is some vibration damping, especially on the clock, but also possibly on the Sabre chip too.

Before proceeding, I wanted to ask about possible temperature issues with these two devices, since damping will also affect cooling. I know at least with the clock, that temp. stability is very important. So possibly a bit of insulation may not be a problem. My housing is fairly well ventilated (all passive). What are the maximum desirable temperatures on the chip and clock surfaces?

Does anyone have specific experience in damping these parts? Typically I have used either bitumen pads, blu-tack, or silicon as a damping in other projects (none of them digital though).

Hide this!Advertise here!