Buffalo III - SE - Page 36 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Twisted Pear

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 27th October 2013, 07:18 PM   #351
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manudrz View Post
Hello, I made some measurements with my EMU 0404 and RMAA. I have a problem in the high freqs, and also with noise ... The EMU alone didn't have these issues, so it comes from the DAC or from the WaveIO...

http://imageshack.com/a/img856/2297/m63l.jpg summary
http://imageshack.com/scaled/medium/405/i61k.png thd
http://imageshack.com/scaled/medium/11/m1y3.png swept tones
http://imageshack.com/scaled/medium/62/nj30.png Freq range

What can be the causes?
I plan to change my EI transformers with Nuvotem moulded toroids, change all PSU cables with 20AWG Clairvoyant cables (6N 99.9999% OCC Solid Copper with .50 microns of 24K Gold Plating) +ptfe , and maybe make a little copper shield like the Hifiduino's one for the B2, if I manage to get the place.
Even if I don't really believe in an improvement, I also ordered a USB Supra cable for my WaveIO.
Thanks
Are you measuring directly at the unfiltered DAC outputs?
Old 27th October 2013, 07:50 PM   #352
manudrz is offline manudrz  France
diyAudio Member

Miero=> 1) I thought all the B3SE had the latest versions of these regs, no?
2) I measured on the SE output of the Ivy3.

=>Brian, I'm measuring with my RCA, at the output of the Ivy3. This seems a more "realistic" value, of what is injected in my amp, no?

Here is my box http://imageshack.us/a/img839/1613/1nsb.jpg the transfo on the left has gone, replaced by two EI ones, the rest is conform. I have to say that my WaveIO PSU has a Omron 5V relay on its output in order to switch between SPDIF/I2S at the same time. I will put a DPDT switch instead, and change my LM317 PSU for a Placid HD that I've just ordered

In my precedent message, I forgot the most disturbing thing, when I stomp on the floor around my installation, the DAC cut half a second (unlock), then leave again normally. This is very weird, it did not do that before, I thought a loose connection but everything seems OK ... Have you ever seen this?
Cheers
Old 27th October 2013, 09:11 PM   #353
miero is offline miero  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

manudrz: probably not related, but your DC power cables are not twisted and neither cables to LEDs ... try to remove all cabling to LEDs first (might work like antenna) ... and replace them with shielded cables if that is the cause ... also signal cables without metal connector on the chasis might act like antenna

if you have an oscilloscope check the voltage on the AVCC ... or better AC multimeter might detect if there is AC on the output
Old 27th October 2013, 09:39 PM   #354
diyAudio Member

Yes I plan to redo all my PSUs wiring, I'll try to remove the cables of LED in case of ...
And yes why not measuring the output to find some AC, with the Ivy3 unplugged I guess?
No oscillo here, little skills and little equipment lol.
Old 27th October 2013, 11:52 PM   #355
diyAudio Member

I don't think either of those things have anything to do with what you are seeing.

Do you get the same results with both S/PDIF and USB input?
Old 28th October 2013, 05:29 AM   #356
diyAudio Member

I have some issues with my CD spdif source, I'm actually trying to solve that in order to test without the USB factor yes. What are you thinking about Brian?
Old 28th October 2013, 06:56 AM   #357
miero is offline miero  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

yes, might be caused by interference with USB.
manydrz, do you have a thd graph with small or zero signal?
some desktop pc has spdif output on the motherboard, you can try this.
or can you repeat mwasurement with notebook on baterries only? its power adapter might have HF on its output that is spreading via GND everywhere.
Old 28th October 2013, 08:40 PM   #358
diyAudio Member

I'll try next w-e.
Old 2nd November 2013, 11:33 AM   #359
diyAudio Member

Damned, I connected the SPDIF and mass on the same Buffalo pin input... Yes yes throw me small pebbles, you can! On the other hand I still do not have sound with SPDIF, DAC remains "mute" both with my IDE diy drive and with my Sony SCD-XB790 ... I removed the DIP8 firmware and tried again but no change. Any idea?

Last edited by manudrz; 2nd November 2013 at 11:41 AM.
Old 8th December 2013, 10:21 AM   #360
diyAudio Member

Ok, I'm remaking my DAC with sealed Nuvotem transformers, the latest DIYinhk Xmos USB interface and a faraday cage for the DAC+IVY3 with steel grid.

Still no solution for my SPDIF input, but I finally won't use it so it's not a problem.

1) I'm wondering if there isn't problem in changing R25-26 (I use SE), I thought about it (for fun). Texas Components Corporation
No problem to use this series (50ppm)? Still 22.1ohms?

2) I also thought to replace the C15 to 20, any advice? Want to test the Cerafine. They have 5mm spacing, but I think it's doable. The main problem is that the 100F/25V is 16mm high, so I thought take the 16V which is 12.5mm.
Can someone confirm there will be no issue with these 100F/16V Cerafine caps ? (ELNAC-100) - 100uF 16V Elna Cerafine Electrolytic Capacitor Hifi Collective or, if someone has a better suggestion...
Thanks a lot guys

Last edited by manudrz; 8th December 2013 at 10:26 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!