diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ White View Post
Some may ask "Why IP_S?" - Well it was just shorthand for "Input Select"
It took me a while to work that out
Old 12th July 2013, 12:12 PM   #303
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
Yes, seems obvious to the initiated, but you would be surprised how many times I have been asked. We all start somewhere.
Old 29th July 2013, 02:00 AM   #304
diyAudio Member

Hello Russ,

made the following observation today. Hang a scope to the DAC output and ran sinuses and squares up and down (at 24Bit / 192kHz using AudioTest software).

- at around 5kHz already the square looks more like a sinus
- at around 20kHz the output level starts to decrease towards higher frequencies, dropping to half of it's initial value at around 25kHz

Could there be an explanation to this, does anything come to your mind, please?

To be sure, I've exchanged for a different DAC, everything else being the same and none of the above happened.

Regards,
Abel
Old 29th July 2013, 02:14 AM   #305
diyAudio Member

Do you have a true differential input for your scope? If not you may get some odd results.

In any case if you are using the DAC without any output stage then any measured effect would be from the chip itself, and only ESS could really fully answer your question.

Otherwise if you are using an output stage you may just be observing the effect of the low pass filter, which you could adjust to your desires.
Old 29th July 2013, 03:14 PM   #306
diyAudio Member

Thanks Russ!

The scope has no differential input, but I've measured between ground and one of the outputs without any difference in results - other then the normal halving of output level.

I've assumed you must have done similar measurements and can tell me what you've found, thought it's part of developing such a product. Don't see how this has to do with ESS.

I've tried it without output stage (balanced to unbalanced 1:1 transformer) as well, to be sure the transformer is not interfering - with the before mentioned results.

Seems I'll have to put my BufII back in to run the test for comparison - tried to avoid though in order to not stress the uFl connectors too much.

If anybody else did similar tests, or can do, please feel free to chime in ... I'm really curious now ...
Old 29th July 2013, 03:19 PM   #307
diyAudio Member

The product purely relies on the ESS part. It only does what the chip does.

I am just saying if you have a question about how the chip itself works, you might want to talk to ESS. There is nothing about the B3SE that would effect the way the DAC itself works in this regard.
Old 29th July 2013, 03:37 PM   #308
diyAudio Member

It is likely related to the high-impedance input of the scope, causing modulation in the DAC outputs. Have you tried measuring after an very low input impedance I/V stage (eg. IVY)?
Old 30th July 2013, 10:40 PM   #309
manudrz is offline manudrz  France
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up News from "Le Mont Saint Michel"

Hello friends, some news of my amazing B3se, magic little box

Almost "finished", I have an idea to shield much of the power cables and USB cable. Perhaps also make a little "Faraday cage" with steel mesh around the DAC. I will also soon receive Clairvoyant cables and I'll change my RCA cables with copper 24AWG GPOCC. I bought enough to wire all the way of the sound from the B3se to my dual mono SKA amps (actually in construction), and then to my future Visaton speakers, certainly next year

Here are some pictures, I do not really like trafos portion, I was in a hurry to finish ... Separation is made with: steel 1mm + copper 0.08mm + mumetal 0.1mm all to the ground.
http://imageshack.us/a/img854/8086/m7qa.jpg http://imageshack.us/a/img839/1613/1nsb.jpg and my amp in progress http://imageshack.us/a/img41/3971/amplir.jpg

I have a question, I currently using the single-ended output, my amp does not have XLR. I saw a trick to switch XLR to RCA and I would like your opinion. This is what happens:
Click the image to open in full size.
1) Is it feasible? Is it going to sing better? More dynamic ?

2) I have a Sony XB790 SACD player, do you think it is possible to use B3se for decoding its DSD ? Which connectors/cables ? I don't have open it yet, but I ask in case of...

I am also in the process of looking for someone who could test my DAC, including THD, SNR, noise etc ... Like this test of an 105 tweaked Oppo (U.S. product again!) Test OPPO Muse modifiés par Espace-musical : une meilleure écoute analogique | Haute Définition sur HDfever I'd love to compare the results, and maybe do some TPA advertising at the same time ^^
I'm just a beginner in DIY/tweaking electronic, but I'm very pleased to have chosen your products. Thanks to all the TPA community, and to Leon for the PDF files !

I leave you, I return to my SKA project, and sorry for my poor english
Bye for now, Manu
edit: despite my young age, I'm listening this right now, unrecognized masterpiece of this great artist http://youtu.be/6_w6n9oSW3o

Last edited by manudrz; 30th July 2013 at 11:08 PM.
Old 31st July 2013, 01:28 AM   #310
diyAudio Member

Hi Manu,

Not bad at all! Nice job!

No - you would not want to wire the balanced outputs like you pictured (in fact this would be very bad). You should definitely be using the SE outputs as you have.

It is possible to fee the B3SE DSD, but you will need to mod your SACD player and use something like our "Teleporter" modules to transport the DSD signals.

Cheers!
Russ

Last edited by Russ White; 31st July 2013 at 01:31 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!