• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo III - SE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Actually You would simply either not install the clock trident, or switch out power from it. There is no ferrite in front of the tridents any more.

My solution if you think you will ever switch between Asynch and Synch is to use a socket for the clock Trident. Or power that trident separately from a switch (by not connecting the input pin to the Buffalo)

Most people will simply pick one and run with it. :)

I don't believe that's a good solution, to leave the output of XO connected on the clock line, even with the supply power off. The XO's output is not designed for tristate operation and is not high impedance.

Sorry but you are incorrect.

As Brian says, when the clock is not powered it's output is in a high impedance state. I consulted Crystek and tested it myself to be certain.

BTW, people have been doing this with BII and BIII for years. :)

Last edited:
HI, Roender, maybe a different approach other than endlessly questioning the efforts of the designers of the Buffalo DAC would be to apply your understanding to the creation of your own design and demonstrate the effectiveness of your ideas. This would certainly benefit the entire DIY community in many ways, both by providing us options and by ending this banter. In the mean time, Russ, how can I order this DAC? I would love to place my order today. I checked your website but dont see it listed

HI, Roender, maybe a different approach other than endlessly questioning the efforts of the designers of the Buffalo DAC would be to apply your understanding to the creation of your own design and demonstrate the effectiveness of your ideas. This would certainly benefit the entire DIY community in many ways, both by providing us options and by ending this banter. In the mean time, Russ, how can I order this DAC? I would love to place my order today. I checked your website but dont see it listed

GT87928, calm down, please :)
I have nothing against BIII DAC as it is now implemented, nor his designers ... just rising some legitimate technical questions.
Regarding my contribution, search yourself trough the forum ...

Healthy curiosity, that's cool and I certainly can appreciate it. :) There is certainly a sentiment among those closest to me that I should show more caution and ask more questions and less enthusiasm when I become intrigued with something new. It just seemed that there was a reluctance to accept their design and it was bogging down the conversation. If I seemed 'excited' I offer an apology, I truly was not. Just trying to move the conversation forward, that's all. :)

Russ and Brian! The B-III SE is exactly what I have been looking for. The advantages of the B-II and B-III, is a simpler package, and with u.fl for connecting I2S including MC. This will be perfect for my next (definitive?) build.

I am glad to hear that.

Brian and I have been thinking this really hits the sweet spot for many builders. A great balance - you get all the performance, but in a simpler to configure package with simple intuitive input interfaces.

I can't wait to see how your rig turns out. You have done great stuff in the past.

Cheers!
Russ

Dear fellows,

I have two questions:

Question A

Suppose that I would want TPA B-III SE to have two sources:

1) TPA USB to i2s converter; and,

2) External transport with both legs of TPA teleporter.

Is it possible to connect both sources with u.fl?

Question B

Suppose I want to use the TPA USB to i2s master clock while playing USB material and the B-III SE master clock while playing the transport material.

Is it also possible? Do I need some kind of switch to power on/off B-III crystal?

Sorry if those questions are simple...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.