• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo III - SE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I will be among the first in line! Will it require a new analog stage?
Well technically you could use it without one - but to get the datasheet numbers you will need one like the one I am designing. :)

IVY-III and legato are not really suitable for the 9038 and would require serious alteration - even then the result would not be nearly as ideal as the new output stage will be.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
9038 NEWS

Greedy boys want to know. Any updates on 9038PRO availability?;)

I may open up a thread soon to share some of the final design details for some feedback. :)

The DAC itself is nearly done (pending final size and hole adjustments) - it is the analog stage that is undergoing a serious overhaul. :)

I would like to get some community feedback on the design process soon.

Cheers!
Russ

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Me too. I am sure we need not bother Russ too much though, I am sure we will hear something more when he is ready....

Amen! Patience!

3366863-patience.jpg

9k=

Trying not to be too greedy....

Russ,

If you guys are going to do a capless (DC coupled) I/V (ala Legato), is there something you can do about the 7-9 V DC at the output? Just to simplify amplifier input issues.

The folks at Ayre were puzzled by large common mode DC. Amp works fine with it...but they were surprised. I don't have quite enough EE knowledge to fully understand the issue.

BTW the Buff II with Legato -> Ayre V-5XE sounds fantastic!

Just AC couple your outputs using good caps - many types of good film caps would work quite well. :) Lot's of people do that. BTW common mode DC will not adversely affect most balanced input amps, but it can limit headroom. So I usually recommend people AC couple.

I have a design called Counterpoint which is basically a Legato that nullifies the common mode DC without caps - I have just not decided when/if to release it.

Thanks Russ,

I was going to upgrade the caps on the previous Legato I was using....but by the time you buy some really good caps I could just buy the Legato III. I called the folks at Ayre and they corroborated that it doesn't really matter as they have a fully balanced design. You just cant always tell based on the literature from the manufacturers.

BTW I did really notice a improvement switching to the DC coupled version. The amp is also DC coupled as well. Sounds pretty good for no caps and no global feedback...

Looks like the first stab at the PRO I/V will be op-amp based. Are you guys going to have a few options in the future ala IVY and Legato? I know you cant make any promises...just asking.

Thanks again for all the work you guys do. Its great to feel like you have some skin in the game by assembling the parts/system. Having the option to upgrade over time part by part is fun as well.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Quick question to which I don't recall ever reading the answer:

Would it be possible to achieve good B3se performance in synch mode with the I2S transported via Teleporters? Asynch performance is very good, of course. Could one expect the same performance as synch mode without Teleporters? I also wonder if the master clock from Cronus version 1 would be robust enough to supply 3 teleporters. It would be a hassle at this stage to learn by experimenting...

TIA,

Frank

B3SE micro controller

HI,

bring for the first time to use an arduino (due) to control the B3se.

Did not figure hit hoW to connect to the IP_S header.

If I short the Pins with jumper I2S input is playing fine. Also if taking jumper away Spdif is playing fine.

Setting my SELECT2SPIN low and connecting it to the left pin ( underneath the IP mark) Spdif is playing. But If set the SELECTI2SPIN high (3.3 V) and connect it to the same pin nothing happens and Spdif input is still playing instead of I2S input.

How would I have to connect a micro controller to the IP_S select header?

Thx

Branko

Connecting sources for a dual mono configuration:

For spdif from what I read it is ok to parallel the connection to both boards. Is this correct?

I can't find a clear example of how the I2S is connected. I understand that the length must be short and it's best to use ufl cable. What is the best method?

HI,

bring for the first time to use an arduino (due) to control the B3se.

Did not figure hit hoW to connect to the IP_S header.

If I short the Pins with jumper I2S input is playing fine. Also if taking jumper away Spdif is playing fine.

Setting my SELECT2SPIN low and connecting it to the left pin ( underneath the IP mark) Spdif is playing. But If set the SELECTI2SPIN high (3.3 V) and connect it to the same pin nothing happens and Spdif input is still playing instead of I2S input.

How would I have to connect a micro controller to the IP_S select header?

Thx

Branko

Are the DAC and controller sharing a ground?

Connecting sources for a dual mono configuration:

For spdif from what I read it is ok to parallel the connection to both boards. Is this correct?

I can't find a clear example of how the I2S is connected. I understand that the length must be short and it's best to use ufl cable. What is the best method?

For both S/PDIF and I2S, just run them in parallel. Do not daisy chain the connections, however. Make individual runs from the source to each DAC.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.