• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo III - SE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Bufallo IIIse dual-mono

Hi,

how are the solutions out there for connecting source to dual-mono BIIIse?

What would be the best wiring, type of cable etc?

Do you use the terminal blocks?

Is there a practical solution to use the uFl connectors? Problem to me is how to make some type of "Y" connection between a "source.uFl (single connection on 4:1 mux or ottoII)" to 2 uFl connectors on booth BIIIse.

(btw: for dual mono builds it would be very nice to have "dual" uFl soldering pads on otto and mux :))

thx

Branko

IP_S problem

Hi together,

I have a big problem with my new BIIISe board. After closing IP_S bridge, needed to switch to I2S source, IC5 is getting very hot and the current increases by about 100mA! The DAC doesn't lock, only the mute LED is on.

I2S source (Cronus) is absolutely okay, because it works fine on my other DAC (1794 DDDAC).

Problem is the same when the board is connected only to 5,25V DC and disconnected from I2S source and Legato stage. The board and all solder points were checked more than once, everything looks fine.

What could be the problem?? Any ideas? What is the function of IC5?

Any help would be appreciated.

IC5 is a simple multiplexer - 7SB3257. My inclination is that it has been damaged and now has an internal short.

IP_S just pulls the select line of the three multiplexers on the input lines down to GND (they are weakly pulled up) - this just selects the PCM/DSD side of the MUX inputs.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    6 KB · Views: 385
Get an anti-static wristband and mat for your workspace if you don't have one. I usually work with tubes which are quite insensitive to ESD but this SS stuff is sooooo sensitive to ESD; I inadvertently killed a few parts before I wised up and got the anti-static accessories. They're cheap and save a lot of headaches down the road.

BIIISE problem

No problem - I hope the repair goes well.

The most common cause is ESD or too high a voltage on on the inputs or supply pin.

Hello Russ,

after holiday I got a new IC5 chip and SMD repair went well. BUT, problem is still the same, IC5 is getting hot after closing the IP_S bridge to receive I2S.

So I tried SPDIF and ..., DAC doesn't lock also on SPDIF input!

I inspected the board again and measured all voltages. All voltages are fine, just the 1.2V Trident PS steps down from 1.198 to 1.160 by 0.002V every 2 seconds.

Fear the worst, ES chip and so DAC board life is gone.
Hoping you have still any better idea as to change the DAC board???

Thanks in advance for help.

Hmmm - yes - I too can only fear the worst - the the ES9018 itself is somehow damaged as there really is no other component involved. :(

The other possibility would be a short to VCC (3.3v) somewhere around IC3-IC5 - maybe even close to the DAC pins (DCK - D8).

All I can suggest is to very carefully probe the voltage at the A pin of the muxes with IP_S open and closed.

ESD is a chip killer - so please take proper precautions.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.