Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Twisted Pear

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 22nd November 2012, 02:02 PM   #151
diyAudio Member

Default just a quick reply...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jf4828 View Post
Hi,

Just ordered the SE and can't wait to build it. I'm primarily interested in using the DAC tethered to a PC using USB. I just sold a Wyred4Sound DAC-2 and am replacing with the Buffalo as I think the 9018 sounds excellent. There was much chatter wrt the quality of the USB input for the W4S DAC-2 not sounding good compared to the I2S. Being async, I guess I don't understand how the usb input devices differ and what to look for.

I'm guessing that a Amanero will suffice and I'm not sure what advantage would be gained by waiting out TP's implementation. What are the technical differences between USB->I2S/DSD devices and their impact on sq with the 9018? Thanks for any help!
Not to derail the thread, I will only mention a couple of points. IME there are real differences amongst (asynchronous) USB interfaces. Power supply implementation, clock quality, pcb layout, and especially-I2S wiring all make a difference. The TPA interface, when it arrives will have some specific advantages for Buffalo DACs: it will be optimized to have no compromises and be easy to integrate with a Buffalo DAC, it will have an ideal I2S wiring configuration (on u.fl mini coax cables) which will mate perfectly with the B-IIIse. It will feature faster master clocks, which offer better performance when used with the ESS 9018. Russ tends to design things without compromise, and typically uses very low phase noise oscillators-I suspect the USB interface will feature better oscillators than most, if not all, similar products...
Personally, I am very excited to see what TPA produces for USB....

And, I am really happy with the introduction of the B-IIIse as well, as it is perfectly suited to the needs of those who want a stereo only, simple set up, with the highest SQ possible, thanks guys.
Old 22nd November 2012, 03:10 PM   #152
diyAudio Member

I'll second that. One gets the impression from reading the threads that everyone building DACS are gun EEs, but I guess many like myself on the bottom rung just want to solder it up to some clear proven instructions, get world class CA sound, and maybe learn something along the way. Count me in for the TP USB interface.
Old 23rd November 2012, 08:55 AM   #153
diyAudio Member

Received the BIII-SE today, thank you so much, still have no documentation but still managed to migrate from BII to BIII-SE, but unable to switch between Consumer SPDIF and TTL level I2S/DSD, hope LeonB can complete the guide very soon, Happy Thanksgiving Day!!
Old 23rd November 2012, 11:46 AM   #154
diyAudio Member

Just read the old msgs, IP-S jumper for SPDIF/IS2-DSD switch, brilliant!
Old 23rd November 2012, 06:16 PM   #155
LeonvB is offline LeonvB  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Most of the required information is in the old messages. I'm very busy working on the guide, but it's also been a busy period both at work and at home. Combine that with the fact that I only have the rest of the information I needed since sunday and you'll understand why the guide is not yet finished.
Old 23rd November 2012, 07:00 PM   #156
diyAudio Member

LeonvB, thanks for your work, as i didn't follow the BIII and quite a numbers of change since BII, so i need some more time to pick up, now I managed to work as BII before, dip switch and external setting will be discover later.
Old 24th November 2012, 05:17 PM   #157
LeonvB is offline LeonvB  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I've just uploaded the new V2.0 integration guide, which includes the information for the BIIISE. This includes switching with IP_S, DIP switch information and much more. The integration guide can be found in the documents section.
Old 24th November 2012, 06:17 PM   #158
manudrz is offline manudrz  France
diyAudio Member

Yeah, thanks a lot LeonvB
Old 26th November 2012, 11:05 AM   #159
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonvB View Post
I've just uploaded the new V2.0 integration guide, which includes the information for the BIIISE. This includes switching with IP_S, DIP switch information and much more. The integration guide can be found in the documents section.
Great work as usual Leon. And just in time for my delivery of the BIIISE too
Old 26th November 2012, 10:11 PM   #160
lhquam is offline lhquam  United States
diyAudio Member

The Placid HD Manual link on this page Placid HD incorrectly points to the .pdf file for the Placid HP Bipolar Manual.

Where can I find a manual for the Placid HD power supply?

Hide this!Advertise here!