Buffalo III - SE - Page 14 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Twisted Pear

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 15th November 2012, 11:42 AM   #131
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truetone View Post
Sorry if this should be obvious, but pls can you confirm if the input accepts I2S and DSD data streams. Presumably it detects DSD and processes accordingly. This is how I understand the input spec, but could be wrong.

An external switch (Otto) is only for if you want to connect 2 x devices. DSD and I2S from the same device will be processed OK.

Thanks,
Yes, either DSD or I2S can be connected directly. If you want both, or two of either, use an OTTO to switch them.
Old 15th November 2012, 11:52 AM   #132
RollE2k is offline RollE2k  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Brian, what i think he means is that if one source can send both DSD and I2S (Like the Amanero USB), is there any kind of auto detection of the signal, so that you dont have to pull a switch when changing from one format to the other.
Old 15th November 2012, 11:57 AM   #133
diyAudio Member

Yes, exactly. I have the Amanero and JRiver. (and the Buff III on order)
Old 15th November 2012, 12:03 PM   #134
diyAudio Member

As long as the output map to the correct pins, it should work. I cannot say for sure w/o testing it.
Old 15th November 2012, 01:54 PM   #135
diyAudio Member

Default Yes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truetone View Post
Yes, exactly. I have the Amanero and JRiver. (and the Buff III on order)
This can work with the B-II, and the B-III when it is set up to mimic the B-II in the input mapping. I would assume that the B-IIISE is set up like the B-II for the inputs, in which case it will work on the same pins with I2S or DSD data. For correct mapping your source needs to be this way:

bit clock=bit clock DSD
word clock=data left DSD
data=data right DSD
masterclock=masterclock (if used)
ground=ground

The only other concern is whether you wish to chnage the IIR filter setting for DSD vs PCM plaback, but it is not necessary.

I have tested this using a B-III set up the B-II way, and it works fine with multiplexed DSD/I2S signals on the same input pins as above. The good thing with this approach is that it avoids any switches in the data path, my experience is that even the best switches can degrade the data stream somewhat and affect sonics.
Old 15th November 2012, 02:24 PM   #136
diyAudio Member

Thanks barrows. Where does one go to set this up? (On PC laptop). I presume a lot of people must be doing this same thing.
Old 15th November 2012, 03:23 PM   #137
lhquam is offline lhquam  United States
diyAudio Member

Is there a way to remotely control things like input switching and volume control via USB (or other computer interface) or an IR remote?
Old 17th November 2012, 08:15 AM   #138
manudrz is offline manudrz  France
diyAudio Member

Would be cool to show the layout with all the connectors. I'm thinking about the integration in the box and I don't know which switches/leds I'll put on my front panel. Is the layout really similar to the Buffalo3 version ? PDF doc wanted
Also, I'd like to know if one input is master and the other one is slave (between TTL and I2S)? Perhaps I won't need a input selection switch...

Last edited by manudrz; 17th November 2012 at 08:39 AM.
Old 17th November 2012, 09:15 AM   #139
diyAudio Member

How to order Buffalo IIISE ?,My order is not receive response from business Twisted website .
Old 17th November 2012, 01:00 PM   #140
glt is offline glt  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrows View Post
This can work with the B-II, and the B-III when it is set up to mimic the B-II in the input mapping. I would assume that the B-IIISE is set up like the B-II for the inputs, in which case it will work on the same pins with I2S or DSD data. For correct mapping your source needs to be this way:

bit clock=bit clock DSD
word clock=data left DSD
data=data right DSD
masterclock=masterclock (if used)
ground=ground

The only other concern is whether you wish to chnage the IIR filter setting for DSD vs PCM plaback, but it is not necessary.

I have tested this using a B-III set up the B-II way, and it works fine with multiplexed DSD/I2S signals on the same input pins as above. The good thing with this approach is that it avoids any switches in the data path, my experience is that even the best switches can degrade the data stream somewhat and affect sonics.
Yeap, it works perfectly with the Amanero board. Other boards like the EXA use the same signal arrangement so will work too.

Hide this!Advertise here!