• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo III - SE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What do I need to purchase from you to get started?

Audio Requirements:
1 S/PDIF (RCA) input
2 XLR outputs
maybe a headphone jack.

The way the ESS Sabre chip handles SPDIF results in impressive sound quality. Leon beat me to the integration guide but it does contain a wealth of info with BOM at the back of it.

I'd look at a BIII SE with IVY III or Legato I/V stage. I've tried both and prefer the Legato. The Legato has a headphone out but I can't recall what they can drive. Power wise I tried both and prefer the warm running Placid HD/Placid HD Bipolar shunting over the linear supplies. You need good ventilation for the Placids or use a suitable thickness enclosure that would work as heat sinks for the power chips.

At the TP site, you can check out the manuals for the I/V stages for further config info.

Twisted Pear Audio

Last edited:
Do you have to use a output stage? Isn't it possible to bypass this and wire directly to xlr jacks. I use a dbx driverack after my current DAC a Roland m1000, I use the dbx to tune the powered monitors and the sub for the room.

No - you don't have to use an output stage. There are some definite drawbacks to not using one, but it still sounds great.

If you don't use one, you will likely want to AC couple the outputs. Output capacitors of 2.2-10uf are commonly used.

You can always add an output stage later.

No - you don't have to use an output stage. There are some definite drawbacks to not using one, but it still sounds great.

If you don't use one, you will likely want to AC couple the outputs. Output capacitors of 2.2-10uf are commonly used.

You can always add an output stage later.
Thank you Russ,

Are there specific Output capacitors you could recommend (brand,make model)?

Do you have to use a output stage? Isn't it possible to bypass this and wire directly to xlr jacks. I use a dbx driverack after my current DAC a Roland m1000, I use the dbx to tune the powered monitors and the sub for the room.
It is possible to work without an I/V stage, but it'll cost you some performance. If you're looking for the best performance, add an I/V stage like fi. the IVY3.

You are welcome.

I have actually had really good success using the Dayton Audio film caps.

(I have no affiliation other than being a happy customer)

Dayton Audio PMPC-10 10uF 250V Precision Audio Capacitor 027-244

I have also used Auracap and others. Really any good quality film cap will work well.
[FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]Hello Russ,

Thank you again for your last post -

[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial][FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]So is it fair to assume [/FONT]if I order the following:
1 - Buffalo-IIISE 2-Chan DAC Mod+Trident RegSet
1 - Placid HD Power Supply Kit
1 - 9V+9V (15VA) Power Transformer
1 - 4-Pack of Gold Hirose U.FL Connectors

I can be up and running?
I know I will still have to buy.
XLR D connectors + Cap for Analog Audio outputs
S/PDIF RCA jack - Digital input to my digi002[/FONT]

If your amp already has a DC blocking cap, then you don't need another. I have my Buffalo DAC directly connected to Hypex UCD180 modules. I do have an RC low pass filter though.

If you want Digital volume control, then you also need "volumite"
GLT - I use mackie hr824 powered studio monitors and krk powered sub, but the signal is run thru a dbx drive rack first. I use the dbx drive rack to q the room. I'm not sure if they have a DC blocking cap

From some earlier posts in this thread it appears that at least some people are successfully using the Amanero USB interface with the Buffalo III-SE. Unfortunately, I'm not having any luck. Here's how I wired it:

Amanero ---------> BIIISE
DATA ---------------> D2
BCLK ---------------> DCK
FSCLK ---------------> D1
GROUND ------------> GROUND (x2)

The wires between the Amanero and the BIIISE are about 1.5 inches long. I'm using an Arduino controller (HiFiDuino) to handle switching between SPDIF and I2S, Foobar2000 as my player (set up to output to the Amanero using WASAPI), with a 6 foot USB cable connecting the Amanero and my computer. I'm getting total silence. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

@chryses:

My experience with the B III, the Amanero and the Hifiduino s/w says that it works without any problems, i.e. you just wire it like you did and set the hifiduino for I2S operation. That's it. It has worked just fine that way in my case.

Now, the B III SE by default expects a s/pdif signal in the s/pdif input. In order to use the I2S/DSD input you have to select it by connecting a switch to IP_S and closing it. Have you done that?

@chryses:

My experience with the B III, the Amanero and the Hifiduino s/w says that it works without any problems, i.e. you just wire it like you did and set the hifiduino for I2S operation. That's it. It has worked just fine that way in my case.

Now, the B III SE by default expects a s/pdif signal in the s/pdif input. In order to use the I2S/DSD input you have to select it by connecting a switch to IP_S and closing it. Have you done that?

Ugh, I'm such an idiot. Nope, I haven't done that - thanks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.