Buffalo III - SE - Page 12 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Twisted Pear

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 12th November 2012, 02:59 AM   #111
diyAudio Member

Hi, I just ordered the Buffalo III SE with regs for use with Amenero usb to I2s converter. I don't have much experience with digital - build valve amps and horns. I am interested how best to interface the Buff III with a valve input stage. I modded a TDA1541 based Sony337 CDP by just wiring the (dual) chip up to a 20 Ohm resistor on the tube grid (d3a) for I/V (a la Lampizator) and like the results.

I understand the Buff III is selectable for either V or I out. AC coupling the V out would indicate a transformer perhaps? If so what kind of spec is needed?. If using I out, would a simple low R on the 1st tube stage do it OK? What is the standard way - is this an external function? Sorry if not up to speed. Grateful for any advice.
Old 12th November 2012, 04:45 AM   #112
diyAudio Member

I noticed you're accepting pre-orders, but there's no "add to cart" button beside the BIIISE kits. Is there another procedure for pre orders or did I just miss out?
Old 12th November 2012, 05:51 AM   #113
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truetone View Post
Hi, I just ordered the Buffalo III SE with regs for use with Amenero usb to I2s converter. I don't have much experience with digital - build valve amps and horns. I am interested how best to interface the Buff III with a valve input stage. I modded a TDA1541 based Sony337 CDP by just wiring the (dual) chip up to a 20 Ohm resistor on the tube grid (d3a) for I/V (a la Lampizator) and like the results.

I understand the Buff III is selectable for either V or I out. AC coupling the V out would indicate a transformer perhaps? If so what kind of spec is needed?. If using I out, would a simple low R on the 1st tube stage do it OK? What is the standard way - is this an external function? Sorry if not up to speed. Grateful for any advice.
Hi Truetone. Check out the thread Buffalo and Transformers. There is a lot of good information in that thread that should answer all your questions.
Old 12th November 2012, 05:54 AM   #114
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoformer View Post
I noticed you're accepting pre-orders, but there's no "add to cart" button beside the BIIISE kits. Is there another procedure for pre orders or did I just miss out?
There was an "Add to cart" button until this afternoon. Now theres just a note about the shipping date. Check back in a few days (maybe the 12th).
Old 12th November 2012, 11:49 AM   #115
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoformer View Post
I opened the pre-orders up for a limited number of units so I would not be completely overwhelmed. I will have plenty in stock, and they will be available in a few days.
Old 12th November 2012, 03:38 PM   #116
diyAudio Member

For complete the buffalo dac IIISE with 2 s/pdif input . I will need the following modules ?:
-Buffalo-IIISE 2-Channel DAC $379 USD
-Legato v3.1 Kit for Buffalo-II $115.00 USD
-Placid HD Power Supply Kit $60.00 USD
-Placid HD Bipolar Power Supply Kit $90.00 USD
-15V+15V (30VA) Power Transformer $25.00 USD
-9V+9V (15VA) Power Transformer $23.00 USD

The S/PDIF transceiver module is required for buffalo III SE?.
Old 12th November 2012, 04:24 PM   #117
diyAudio Member

Thanks Brian! We'll keep an eye out for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianDonegan View Post
I opened the pre-orders up for a limited number of units so I would not be completely overwhelmed. I will have plenty in stock, and they will be available in a few days.
Old 12th November 2012, 05:09 PM   #118
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijscobar View Post
Well, I was planning a set up with an Ivy en two Placids. I know it 's difficult to discribe the differences, personally I hope the step up is as big as the financial differences between the Opus and Buffalo
As said I was opting for the IVY but what is wise: IVY or Legato? It would be used between only between stereo pre amp and computer (Mac)
Old 12th November 2012, 06:29 PM   #119
diyAudio Member

Hello.
It just ordered two of these for use in a 4-way dsp filter (spdif-out ).
If I'm using the digital volumecontrol can I still use just one pot
(in parallel) or is there need for a second one for some reason ?
Old 12th November 2012, 07:35 PM   #120
lhquam is offline lhquam  United States
diyAudio Member

What size spacers are needed for mounting the various modules to one another? I cannot find any info about the spacing between the boards when stacked.

Hide this!Advertise here!