• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo III - SE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you do decide to connect the DAC/PSU/Signal grounds to the chassis ground, do so in only one place (star ground). Multiple ground paths will result in ground loops and noise.

If you are using TPA components and wiring correctly, the DAC's ground will be connected to the PSU's ground and the output stage's ground already, so only one connection to the chassis would be needed.

Thanks guys, Everything worked perfectly from switch on. I have the ps in a separate box (earthed) and just ran 2 wires to the dac. The transformer secondaries are 0v referenced at the power amp only.

May I say huge thanks for the great sound - really enjoying it on usb - not just flac files etc sound good, but listening to U-tube jazz lessons is a whole new experience.

At present using a 317 reg ps - planning to upgrade to Placid. Any comments on difference to expect?

best wishes, martin

Instead of the green leds mounted on the PCB, can I put two blue leds (mute/lock) on the front of my box ?
Blue leds are 2 mm - 3V - 30mA max

Also, to get a little off buffalo-topic, when I'm sure placids work properly, can I remove the green LEDs? I'm afraid it could illuminate through my air holes :/

Thanks guys, Everything worked perfectly from switch on. I have the ps in a separate box (earthed) and just ran 2 wires to the dac. The transformer secondaries are 0v referenced at the power amp only.

May I say huge thanks for the great sound - really enjoying it on usb - not just flac files etc sound good, but listening to U-tube jazz lessons is a whole new experience.

At present using a 317 reg ps - planning to upgrade to Placid. Any comments on difference to expect?

best wishes, martin

Glad to hear it!

The difference is subtle, but things will definitely be a bit better. :)

Buffalo-IIIse DAC - supply list

Hello Russ n Brian -

I'm a bit new to the diy DAC world, I work in the music industry- record production - mixing mastering etc. We work mostly with 24bit 96k files for now, currently are audio stage is as follows - (protools) Digital Audio Interface (digi002 rack) direct out via S/PDIF (RCA) to a Roland M1000 digital mixer DAC- to Powered monitors. It sounds good, but after hearing what so many have said about the ESS Sabre32, I'm now interested in building a custom DAC to replace the Roland...

So my question is this.
What do I need to purchase from you to get started?

Audio Requirements:
1 S/PDIF (RCA) input
2 XLR outputs
maybe a headphone jack.

Thank you for your time in advance.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.