Introducing OTTO2 - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Twisted Pear

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 2nd January 2014, 03:49 PM   #51
diyAudio Member

Default Yes, and no

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollE2k View Post
i forgot to ask - if using external MCK from say two i2s sources - does this "switch" really work problem free with up to 100MHz?
The short answer is yes, there will be no problems. The long answer is no, as anything placed in the I2S signal path will damage the signal somewhat, resulting in some additional jitter. Make sure to keep I2S wiring as short as is possible as well.
I personally prefer to have a single I2S source, wired directly to my DAC (B-IIIse) with 5 mm U.FL cables, to keep form having any compromise at all in the I2S signal.
Old 2nd January 2014, 04:12 PM   #52
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrows View Post
The short answer is yes, there will be no problems. The long answer is no, as anything placed in the I2S signal path will damage the signal somewhat, resulting in some additional jitter.
With a maximum propagation delay of .25nS, and that value likely to be similar or equal among the four bus channels on the chip, the amount of jitter introduced will be negligible at 100MHz. You would begin to worry about it above 400MHz, and even then it would be minimal.
Old 3rd January 2014, 02:59 PM   #53
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
The delay is practically constant, not random noise. So it will never be "jitter" (phase noise) just a delay.
Old 11th March 2015, 01:57 AM   #54
DQ828 is offline DQ828  Australia
diyAudio Member

I'm doing some mods & want to loose the relay but also want to be sure I've got this right.

It is my understanding from what I have read that;

* I have a 10k resistor between S & GRND
* I have a 10k resistor between S & VCC
* I have a link between OE & Grnd
* I drive S High & Low with Arduino

Is that correct?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg resource.ashx.jpg (80.2 KB, 248 views)
Old 11th March 2015, 06:31 PM   #55
diyAudio Member

You will notice there are pads for installing pull-up/down Rs behind the terminal block.

As for control if you are using 3.3V logic you don't need the pullup unless you are using an open drain type output.

Cheers!
Russ
Old 11th March 2015, 09:07 PM   #56
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ White View Post
You will notice there are pads for installing pull-up/down Rs behind the terminal block.

As for control if you are using 3.3V logic you don't need the pullup unless you are using an open drain type output.

Cheers!
Russ
Your answer raised more questions than answers and hasn't helped me at all.

I was hoping for something simple like:

Yes that is correct

OR

No that is not correct, do this.??
Old 12th March 2015, 07:15 PM   #57
diyAudio Member

The resistor to "S" will likely not be necessary (unless you are using open drain or a switch).

The OE jumper you will want unless you plan on driving it actively (with the controller)

What else do you need to know?

Cheers!
Russ
Old 14th March 2015, 08:03 AM   #58
diyAudio Member

Thanks,

I've linked OE to Grnd, put a 10k resistor between S & Ground & an driving S High & Low with an Arduino output & it is working, although I'm going to have to change the code as I'm now getting a mirrored result to when I was using the relay.

You cant see the Arduino connection in the pic as its under the board.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Otto01.JPG (511.0 KB, 129 views)
Old 21st March 2015, 04:17 AM   #59
Mull3t is offline Mull3t  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm thinking of going with the OTTOII for an upcoming project I'm working on. The idea is to switch between two i2s sources -- BBB and Amanero. The goal is to have both sources have synchronous clocking utilizing the Acko S03 board, which will be going to one of Acko's ES9023 based DACs.

The question is the OTTOII up to the task?

I'm thinking this is how it'd work...

Amanero in slave mode sends just LRCK, BCK, and SDATA to OTTOII. BBB using Botic driver (hopefully integrated with RuneAudio) sends just LRCK, BCK, SDATA to OTTOII. Have a way to switch between them... perhaps a SPST switch? Then these 3 signals go to Acko S03 U.FL inputs. Then both i2s transports will receive MCK from Acko S03. I'll have to figure out a way to spit out two instances of clock simultaneously. I don't think this will be hard because the pin headers and U.FL sockets seem to be the same path. I won't divide clocks and they'll be 45/49Mhz flavors. I haven't figured how to do CLK select yet, but that would be the only challenge I can foresee.

Any reason why this wouldn't work?
Old 21st March 2015, 07:26 AM   #60
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull3t View Post
I'm thinking of going with the OTTOII for an upcoming project I'm working on. The idea is to switch between two i2s sources -- BBB and Amanero. The goal is to have both sources have synchronous clocking utilizing the Acko S03 board, which will be going to one of Acko's ES9023 based DACs.

The question is the OTTOII up to the task?

I'm thinking this is how it'd work...

Amanero in slave mode sends just LRCK, BCK, and SDATA to OTTOII. BBB using Botic driver (hopefully integrated with RuneAudio) sends just LRCK, BCK, SDATA to OTTOII. Have a way to switch between them... perhaps a SPST switch? Then these 3 signals go to Acko S03 U.FL inputs. Then both i2s transports will receive MCK from Acko S03. I'll have to figure out a way to spit out two instances of clock simultaneously. I don't think this will be hard because the pin headers and U.FL sockets seem to be the same path. I won't divide clocks and they'll be 45/49Mhz flavors. I haven't figured how to do CLK select yet, but that would be the only challenge I can foresee.

Any reason why this wouldn't work?
I cannot see any reason it wont work although I've only ever used mine for switching SPDIF, it has 4 inputs on either side. I'm not sure what the switching chip is so no way of checking the data sheets. The Product info says;

The OTTO-II Digital Switching module is a simple 4-channel 2:1 switch which allows you to connect and switch between two digital data lines (I2S, DSD, S/PDIF, etc) to a single digital input out output. Typically it wil be used to select between two digital sources and a single DAC, but could also be used to, say, select a DAC from a single digital source.

Hide this!Advertise here!