Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Twisted Pear

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 7th July 2012, 05:07 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrows View Post
In comparison to what?
barrows, what we are saying is that mechanically it is just not designed to last. So while it is great for what it is designed for its not exactly designed with DIY in mind. That's all. Still if people are willing to overlook that it is still viable even if it stinks in the mechanical sense.
Old 7th July 2012, 05:13 PM   #12
avr300 is offline avr300  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Compared to any other coax connector that can carry the same signal.

They are ok for a one-time installation. As a DIY (on-off-on-off)^x (where x is your level of activity) connector, you're asking for trouble.

edit - cross posting.

Last edited by avr300; 7th July 2012 at 05:28 PM.
Old 7th July 2012, 05:13 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ White View Post
barrows, what we are saying is that mechanically it is just not designed to last. So while it is great for what it is designed for its not exactly designed with DIY in mind. That's all. Still if people are willing to overlook that it is still viable even if it stinks in the mechanical sense.
Understood, and I agree with that. I am willing to replace the jacks, personally, if I end up connecting them a few times, in order to maintain the best possible signal integrity.
Old 7th July 2012, 05:15 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrows View Post
Understood, and I agree with that. I am willing to replace the jacks, personally, if I end up connecting them a few times, in order to maintain the best possible signal integrity.
From experience I can say for TTL level signals, its tough to beat a nice short wire directly soldered to a pad. But that also is not very flexible, nor is it shielded (thus it should be quite short) , so routing is more critical.
Old 7th July 2012, 05:35 PM   #15
imix500 is offline imix500  United States
Proud Union Member
diyAudio Member

Hey Russ,
Have SMA connectors been suggested? Personally I think these connectors are a bit overkill for TTL, but SMA is only slightly larger and far more robust.
Old 7th July 2012, 05:49 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

What impedance the boards were designed with? You can't switch between impedances, you need to stick to whichever impedance you choose.
Could your circuits drive 50ohm transmission line?
Old 7th July 2012, 06:03 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3tup View Post
What impedance the boards were designed with? You can't switch between impedances, you need to stick to whichever impedance you choose.
Could your circuits drive 50ohm transmission line?
I am well aware. This is one reason I was not really excited about the idea originally.

We are talking TTL levels. That is why other than the shielding I see no advantage at all for the coax when terminated for TTL. In fact it *could* (actually this is not in doubt, it is just the degree that I don't know) cause unwanted reflections. It would be cool if someone took a network analyzer and tested such a setup. Unfortunately I don't own one. Maybe one of you folks could do it?

Driving it should not be an issue as far as I know as long as you don't actually terminate the far end at 50ohms, but the reflections are not exactly desirable.

Last edited by Russ White; 7th July 2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old 7th July 2012, 06:06 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imix500 View Post
Hey Russ,
Have SMA connectors been suggested? Personally I think these connectors are a bit overkill for TTL, but SMA is only slightly larger and far more robust.
Thanks for mentioning them.

I have looked them over, they do look doable, but more bulky then I would like. I think after you leave room for a wrench you have probably taken up a lot of space.
Old 7th July 2012, 06:38 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Default yup...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ White View Post
I am well aware. This is one reason I was not really excited about the idea originally.

We are talking TTL levels. That is why other than the shielding I see no advantage at all for the coax when terminated for TTL. In fact it *could* (actually this is not in doubt, it is just the degree that I don't know) cause unwanted reflections. It would be cool if someone took a network analyzer and tested such a setup. Unfortunately I don't own one. Maybe one of you folks do?

Driving it should not be an issue as far as I know as long as you don't actually terminate the far end at 50ohms, but the reflections are not exactly desirable.
This is where the analysis gets interesting, and where someone who has made the relevant measurements could really help out. On reflections, wouldn't these also be apparent on a ribbon cable terminated with an IDC, as TPA presently uses? Consider a 7 cm ribbin cable run terminated into IDC connectors, versus a 7 cm cable run terminated in u.fl (w,fl) at either end, wouldn't reflections present the same problem either way if we have the same source impedance and load impedance in both cases?
Old 7th July 2012, 06:58 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

IDC? As long as your PCB is 100ohm, everything is fine. The connectors themselves are a bit buggy, but they work.

TP's IDCs are sometimes less than transmission lines. For proper impedance control, on which the IDC cable relies, you need to put a GND wire along each signal wire.
Then you get 100ohm impedance. If you boards are at 100ohm impedance and termination is for 110ohm, then everything should be fine from signal integrity standpoint.

Flat cables are poor on EMC thing which is important inside the DAC's case.

Hide this!Advertise here!