• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

BIII: Multi-Ch vs Stereo Sound Quality?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
With 8 channel You will just lose a bit of dynamic range, and you will have to configure the output stages for more gain, which typically results in slightly higher THD. But it will still sound superb.

Hi Russ. Thanks for the reply!

Without meaning to put you on the spot, would you please reconcile your answer above with your earlier statement below where you described the poor quality of m-ch?...

"I may do it at some point, but I actually don't have that much interest in because once you use the ES9018 with only one differential DAC per output channel performance wise (DNR and THD) the DAC really becomes not much better than anything else out there. Really to get exceptional performance you have to use it in 1 or 2 channel mode.

You can very easily do a superb multi-channel DAC with the Buffalo II. Just use more than one buff II module (3 or 4 for 5.1 or 7.1 respectively). Then you get multi channel with no compromise in results compared to stereo."

Multichannel Buffalo? - Buffalo DAC - Twisted Pear Audio Support

Aren't the chips in the B-II and B-III the same, or similar enough that other than exposing the pre-existing m-ch capability, nothing changed between your two statements

PS: I bought a B-III last night...

Thanks

There is nothing to reconcile. If you are looking at dynamic range you can achieve the same numbers with other DACs if you are only using one DAC output per channel and not doing any summing. But Dynamic range and THD are not the whole story. :cool:

I still believe the best approach is 3 or 4 stereo configured DAC,s or 6 or 8 mono if your ready to go that far. :)

Does this hold true using Buffalo III after a digital cross-over?

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I may as well ask, as I am sure others may want to know also.

I understand from what is written above that the Sabre chip is not as dynamic running it for a six or 8 channel set-up for surround sound. In this case, it is driving all those channels full-range.

What I am wondering, is what if I was to configure the Buffalo III DAC kit as a four channel DAC used after a digital cross-over to drive a stereo 2-way system. In other words, 2 channels would be running the lows and 2 channels would be running the highs. The cross-over frequency I will be starting with is 300 Hz. As I am spliting the bandwidth in half, with each channel doing less work, would I still experience the loss in dynamic range?

This is going to be for a "with-in reason" dream system, using the RD-75 for the highs and either my Avebury system or Mark Audio CHR array system on lows. My source system is all digital, so this may be a good chance to play around with digital cross-over and EQ. This system is a work in progress and I will be slowly buying the components over the next couple of years. I have the Buffalo III DAC kit and will be building it this winter...

So with that in mind, in regards to the performance of the Buffalo DAC, am I better off running it 2 channel using active analog cross-overs or running it 4 channel after a digital cross-over?

I look forward to any information or thread referrals in regards to this question.

Thanks,

Allen

Thanks Miero,

Yes, 131 dB is definitely acceptable ;), we are lucky to get 120 dB from most source material.

I will google the 12S and DSD inputs you mention, and see if these formats are compatible with the various digital cross-overs out there.

Time for me to start digging in to see what is possible...

Allen

Another resurrection...

Since I last posted on this thread, I have learned a lot about DSP, FIR filters, and multi-channel sound. I have also learned about the challenges of HDMI and Blu-ray encryption, Audio and Video syncing, convolution latency, and sampling rates. So needless to say, I have not assembled my Buffalo III yet - :eek: - as I was not sure how I really wanted to set up my system...

Now that I know how I am setting everything up, I am ready to build my DAC.

I am using JRiver Media Center in my PC to run the EQ and Cross-overs of my Audio/Video System. I want an eight channel DAC to run my 4.4 channel surround system (4 mains and 4 subs). I am either considering building my Buffalo III as an 8 channel DAC, or buying a second Buffalo III and using one module as a 2 channel unit and the other as a 6 channel unit. Maybe over time, if I really feel it necessary, I could add another module or two, per Russ's suggestion:

"You can very easily do a superb multi-channel DAC with the Buffalo II. Just use more than one buff II module (3 or 4 for 5.1 or 7.1 respectively). Then you get multi channel with no compromise in results compared to stereo."

The question I have is:

How do I sync these two DACs together so they stay in time? I have heard people hooking up same make and model of DACs (not Buffalo) to their multi-channel systems and they go out of sync due to slightly differing latency's with-in each DAC. Also, can the two Buffalo's be synced to one volume control (on the Buffalo)? This latter question is not as important, as the internal volume in JRiver is excellent and Remote controllable. :)

If this is discussed in detail on one of the other Buffalo build threads, a link would be more then adequate. I figured I would post here, as this thread is more to the point and easier for others considering multi-channel Buffalo builds to find.

Thanks ;)

Last edited:
I know it is late,

Thanks, Russ

Sorry it took me so long to Thank You, as today is my first day off from work since I posted above. At the moment, I am researching USB streamers that are designed for multi-channel. It seems like the MiniDSP is one of the few options available, but many have reported "bugs" with it. It seems like many people are struggling finding reliable USB boards for the Buffalo. I may need to consider two Teleporters, and an Asus Xonar card, if I want eight channel.

USB to I2S for Buffalo III multichannel - General Questions - Twisted Pear Audio Support

As You are the designer of this DAC, Russ, what would You recommend? Bear in mind, I like the idea of starting with one Buffalo in eight channel mode, then possibly over time, having 4 Buffalo III's synced for eight channel.

Allen

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.