Trident Evolves - Version 3 - Page 7 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Twisted Pear

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2013, 06:18 PM   #61
4est is offline 4est  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, Mi
Default Trident failures

I have just had my second 1.2v Vdd Trident failure. The first time I was mucking about occasionally, and thought it could have been something I did. This time it happened out of the blue after the DAC had been running for months without change. I have my Placid set at 5.05v, but have noticed that the new recommended input voltage is 5.25v. Could this be it, or is it a design flaw possibly? I took this as a hint that it was past time I upgraded to version 3, but still I would like to know if I should be doing something differently.

TIA!
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2013, 12:30 PM   #62
diyAudio Member
 
BrianDonegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: TPA HQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4est View Post
I have just had my second 1.2v Vdd Trident failure. The first time I was mucking about occasionally, and thought it could have been something I did. This time it happened out of the blue after the DAC had been running for months without change. I have my Placid set at 5.05v, but have noticed that the new recommended input voltage is 5.25v. Could this be it, or is it a design flaw possibly? I took this as a hint that it was past time I upgraded to version 3, but still I would like to know if I should be doing something differently.

TIA!
What is the failure mode, and how are the Tridents mounted?
__________________
Twisted Pear Audio
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2013, 01:13 PM   #63
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Default No Worries...

4est. If you replace with the newer version you will have no more failures. I experienced a couple of trnasistor failures on the old Trident 1.2 V version as well. It is a heat issue due to the voltage drop this reg has to deal with. When I repaired mine I actually made two tiny heat sinks out of some copper sheet, and glued them to the transistors, everything ran smooth then for a long time.
But the new Tridents have beefier transistors and exhibit no such problems. Upgrade the AVCC as well, you will not be sorry.
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2013, 02:11 PM   #64
4est is offline 4est  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, Mi
Honestly I have not attempted to repair the Tridents as I had a replacement on hand last time, and want the new version this time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianDonegan View Post
What is the failure mode, and how are the Tridents mounted?
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2013, 02:14 PM   #65
4est is offline 4est  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, Mi
Thank you Barrows, that was what I was looking to know! They were mounted vertically ala the original BII style.

I replaced the AVCC straight away when they came out and loved the change- better PRaT, more organic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrows View Post
4est. If you replace with the newer version you will have no more failures. I experienced a couple of trnasistor failures on the old Trident 1.2 V version as well. It is a heat issue due to the voltage drop this reg has to deal with. When I repaired mine I actually made two tiny heat sinks out of some copper sheet, and glued them to the transistors, everything ran smooth then for a long time.
But the new Tridents have beefier transistors and exhibit no such problems. Upgrade the AVCC as well, you will not be sorry.
  Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2014, 09:20 PM   #66
drone is offline drone  Germany
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Germany Rheinarea
Default Trident 1,2 V Q1/Q2 replacement?

Hi,

one of my 1.1 version of 1.2 V trident stopped working. So I would like to replace the transistors Q1/Q2. I have some bc860C type. would this be ok?

thx

branko
  Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2014, 03:07 AM   #67
diyAudio Member
 
BrianDonegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: TPA HQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by drone View Post
Hi,

one of my 1.1 version of 1.2 V trident stopped working. So I would like to replace the transistors Q1/Q2. I have some bc860C type. would this be ok?

thx

branko
Yes.
__________________
Twisted Pear Audio
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
V3 trident coolhead Twisted Pear 7 14th March 2012 02:18 PM
Trident preorders yammy1688 Twisted Pear 5 9th July 2011 12:03 PM
Trident - Three-leg Shunt Regulator IngemarR Twisted Pear 34 4th May 2011 11:33 PM
trident series 65 schematics iz Parts 6 30th September 2010 03:12 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 11:04 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2