• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Beginner seeks BOM advice for BIII

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
I'm pretty green to diy audio, built a few kits and such, but I have decided I'd like to build myself a Buffalo III DAC and I'd like to run my plan by the experts and see what I'm missing/misinformed on.

Thanks in advance for any help.

The Goal:

Inputs:
1x USB
1x S/PDIF
1x Toslink
1x AES/EBU

Outputs:
1x stereo SE
1x stereo Balanced

Pretty straightforward. Below is the list of TPA kit I believe I need but I may be wrong.

1x Buffalo III DAC w/AVCC & Tridents
1x USB DAC/Reciever
1x Toslink Module
1x 4 Channel S/PDIF Level Converter Kit
1x LCDPS Dual Power Supply
1x 9V Transformer

And no output stage as I'd like to use some transformers from Jensen or Cinemag.

Thanks again.

I have, thanks Leon. Nice work on that.

I guess my main concerns were that the LCDPS is ok instead of Placid. One side will power the BIII board, USB takes power from source, S/PDIF 4:1 takes power from BIII board, and Toslink uses the other side of the LCDPS.. Is this right?

My other question: regarding the USB - would it be better to use the i2s output straight into the BIII board, or the S/PDIF output into the 4:1 module. And, if I don't use the 4:1 module for it, does this affect the functionality of the input selection switch?

Sorry for the basic questions, as I said I'm pretty green.

That would be correct.

If you want to use I2S combined with S/PDIF inputs, you need the 4:1 and Sidecar module. You could use one of the input settings of the selection switch to trigger the Sidecar module if you only need 1 to 3 S/PDIF inputs.
If USB input is all you need you don't require either of them: just go straight from the USB receiver to the DAC board using I2S. You obviously won't use the input selection then, as there is only one source to begin with.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.