• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Quick BOM for Buffalo 3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Russ, Brian

Was fortunate enough to get the pre-order in for the Dec 18 batch of Buffalo 3 kits.
Due to my workforce shortage these next couple weeks I have been working long hours and haven't had time to read all the manuals. I hope by the time this ships, I will have some time to read.
I was hoping you could give me a recommended BOM to complete the kit so I don't have to read thru the thousands of posts.
I Pre-Ordered the following digital section so far.
Buffalo-III DAC
(1) Buffalo-III Base Module (Assembled and Tested)
(1) AVCC Dual Shunt Regulator Module (Assembled and Tested)
(2) Trident 3.3V Shunt Regulator Module (Assembled and Tested)
(1) Trident 1.2V Shunt Regulator Module (Assembled and Tested)

To finish the digital, and correct me if I'm wrong, I need the LCDPS Dual Power Supply and a 9+9v Tx for the digital section.

I'm a tube guy so I was thinking the Discrete Legato 3.1 would fit the bill since it allows some opamp rolling.
I know some guys would say tube stage but I already have 2 stages in my DIY amp design with plenty of gain for a 1v input. I think the low impedance DAC would be happier with your IVY or Legato as an I/V between DAC and tube amp.
Power this with a shunt regulated Placid HD bipolar supply with a 15+15v Tx?
What would the output buffer option do for me?
Would the SE (Ballsie) stage be better off with another power supply or would I be OK with sharing? I know at some point this could fall under diminishing returns rule. If you recommend another supply, could I share the 15+15 analog transformer?

Extras:

From what I read in a forum, I would add the S/PDIF Transceiver with the Wolfson chip since this may reduce jitter from my Sono's music server. The direct Buffalo S/PDIF doesn't function to reduce jitter? Would this need another LCDPS supply with 9+9 Tx?

Metronome in case I find a I2S off my vintage 1988 CD player with TD1541A DAC, I think the sample rate would be different than what the Buffalo is looking for? Separate LCDPS supply for this as well? Separate transformer?

Ribbon cables, caps or resistors needed with any of the above mentioned kits?

To finish the digital, and correct me if I'm wrong, I need the LCDPS Dual Power Supply and a 9+9v Tx for the digital section.

This is a good option.

Power this with a shunt regulated Placid HD bipolar supply with a 15+15v Tx?
What would the output buffer option do for me?

A single Placid BP would be fine. Unless you are going full dual mono, there won't be a huge benefit to multiple supplies. The buffer is always recommended, as it provides the lowest output impedance is highest load compatibility (cable capacitance, load z, etc).

From what I read in a forum, I would add the S/PDIF Transceiver with the Wolfson chip since this may reduce jitter from my Sono's music server. The direct Buffalo S/PDIF doesn't function to reduce jitter?

The buffalo does not need an spdif transceiver at all, especially now that tailoring the input bandwidth is simply a matter of adjusting some dip switches. I would not add the other module.

Metronome in case I find a I2S off my vintage 1988 CD player with TD1541A DAC, I think the sample rate would be different than what the Buffalo is looking for? Separate LCDPS supply for this as well? Separate transformer?

If you do this, you can probable embed the metronome in the player and use one of it's power supplies.

Ribbon cables, caps or resistors needed with any of the above mentioned kits?

Ribbon cable is included in the Buffalo kit. You should not need to add any other passive components. We include all the board-to-board connectors and mounting hardware in the kits. You will need only input and output connectors, and some hookup wire of your choosing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.