• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Introducing the bit "Teleporter"

Thank you both!just ordered one =)

One (I hope) last thing:
From the data sheet of the IC used in Teleporter, it states that it can drive multiple targets with one channel.

If I'm driving 2 DACs with one Teleporter, MCLK is the (already ordered) Cronus, should I use 2 different channels, from two of the buffered MCLK outputs of the Cronus? Or just one one and then parallel or serial connect it?

What about termination?

(And if wiring up the propriety of th i2s signals from cronus to this 2 dacs - in parallel - right?)

Thank you very much, again!!!
You could promote this versatility of the Teleporter more. Before I thought it was ONLY for this long distance connection.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
What's the consensus on using Teleporters to remote the BBB-Hermes-Cronus away from the converter dac box?

I doubt there is a consensus. Are you hearing noise?

I use teleporters between boxes for spacing issues to keep I2S lines very short. There is never any detectable noise, interference, or signal degradation even when the BBB is running filters at 95% CPU. That doesn't mean there would be noise if the boards were in closer proximity, though I believe USB wifi dongles have been reported as a significant noise source. Using teleporters with I2S, the signal at the DAC is robust so the dpll bandwidth can be set to 'no bandwidth', which gives audibly better performance with 9018s.

I have not tried transferring the master clock via teleporters for synchronous DAC operation. I'd appreciate hearing how well MCLK transfer works. If Teleporters give good synchronous DAC operation up to reasonably high PCM frequencies, then I see no downside whatsoever. ;)

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I doubt there is a consensus. Are you hearing noise?

I use teleporters between boxes for spacing issues to keep I2S lines very short. ;)

I'm not using Tele's, so no noise.
What I'd like to know, is if moving the BBB etc out of the DAC box
has resulted in an improvement in sound as the result of the move.

My thought was that clocks from the BBB & Cronus might be
affecting the sound, either by creating cross beating with the DACs
clock or spewing clock noise into the analog sections , IV converter,
outputs to RCA connectors? ;)

Adverse effects from increasing number of connections between Transporter modules?

Currently have a RaspTouch unit that incorporates both the Raspberry Pi 2B+ and a touchscreen. Want to use the Transporter modules to communicate I2S to my DAC.

Would install the transmitting module close to the RPI and then wire it to a Neutrik Ethercon panel mount on the back panel of the RaspTouch case. Wires from the Teleporter to the Neutrik Ethercon will be twisted. Will duplicate this scheme inside the DAC.

Doing this will essentially double the amount of phsical connections versus cabling directly from Teleporter (Tx) to Teleporter (Rx).

Will configuring the Teleporters thi way have any negative effects on the I2S signal to the DAC?

TIA

Theoretically,
is there any advantage to sending usb data via a teleporter pair instead if I2S data? I.E. in a multiway speaker with upstream digital crossover, 1? transporter pair delivering usb of 4 or 5 stereo streams to individual Amenero-Isolater-Cronus, VS separate I2S via 4 or 5 teleporter pairs to individual B3 dacs?

Lastly when might we see the 8 channel solution? ( I may not be able to wait )

Because the dacs are separated by many feet I intend to use one teleport pair per dac. How much loading is the input of a teleporter? Will I need to buffer the common bit and word clock signals as they are needing to be sent over 5 different teleports or could I jump the LVDS from from one to the next? Obviously receiving end is normal into DAC.

Thanks Russ,
So up and running as a proof of concept I have an Amanero into Hermes into Cronus and into a teleporter, 25' long cat 5 cable into receiving teleporter into new BIIIsePro-38. Sound is wonderful,but when the refrigerator turns on or off there is a momentary dropout in the music. Turn on the light and a momentary mute. In fact simply touching a probe from the fluke to measure the AC (120V) or the plus or minus Placid BP HD version1.0 15 V DC also causes momentary dropout. As I'm using unbalanced connection to the Amp I can't float everything. I'v tried earthing the ground of the DAC; connecting a separate ground between teleporters all without success. Hints appreciated.
Just noticed J1and J2 , did I miss something?

J1 allows you to use the module in type 1(J1 closed) or 2(J1 open) receiver mode. It should be installed when you use teleporters at both ends because the teleporter only transmits in mode 1.

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/ds91m040.pdf

Mode 2 is the default but since you are using teleporters on both ends you should enable mode 1 by installing the jumper.

It is definitely wise tro install J2 on one or both(recommended) ends - then use shielded cat5/6 cable. That jumper connects the shield to GND.

I hope that helps!

Cheers!
Russ

Last edited: