• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Introducing the bit "Teleporter"

PSB for teleporter

Hi,

I just received my teleporters and going to build one of them into my cdpro2 transport. Because this is housed into a tight chassis the power supply needs to be small in size.
Brian Donegan also told me that the supply is not that critical because the teleporters have their own voltage regulators, but is should be descent. So I'm planning to use a LM317 based power supply. The LM317 should have low ripple (80 db rejection). Would the supply be good enough for the teleporter?

Attachments

• PSB.jpg
    PSB.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 322
Last edited:
Hi,

I just received my teleporters and going to build one of them into my cdpro2 transport. Because this is housed into a tight chassis the power supply needs to be small in size.
Brian Donegan also told me that the supply is not that critical because the teleporters have their own voltage regulators, but is should be descent. So I'm planning to use a LM317 based power supply. The LM317 should have low ripple (80 db rejection). Would the supply be good enough for the teleporter?

Abosultely. I would make it output 5-6V.

The LDO on the teleporter is very good. So you have a lot of flexibility.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Pulse skew (which is the major cause of jitter) is about 55ps.

Propagation delay (not actually that critical as it will be the same for all four channels) is about ~3ns.

Channel to channel skew is a mere 60ps.

And of course The bottom line is - it sounds absolutely excellent when used with B3.

Cheers!
Russ

Thanks Russ, it's just answered for you:)

Thanks!

should I connect my cdpro2 I2S output like this? Assuming that the serial clock is the same as the bit clock.

EDIT: What about the ground from the I2S

From the source you must connect GND and the signals to the Teleporter.

I can't speak for the CDPro output, but what you say sounds correct. One thing to keep in mind is that as far as I know the CDPro has a 48fs bit clock. Keep in mind that many DACs including the Buffaloes need a 64fs bit clock.

From the source you must connect GND and the signals to the Teleporter.

I can't speak for the CDPro output, but what you say sounds correct. One thing to keep in mind is that as far as I know the CDPro has a 48fs bit clock. Keep in mind that many DACs including the Buffaloes need a 64fs bit clock.

I going to use the Metronome to tackle this difference in bit clocks.

For those who are interested, I quoted this from Brain at the TPA support forum:

There is some variation in terminology between Phillips and Wolfson, so here's how you want to hook it up...

CDPRO I2S Header -> DAC header
===========================================
Pin 2 SCLK (Serial Clock) -> BCK (Bit Clock)
Pin 3 WCLK (Work Clock) -> LRCK (Left Right Clock)
Pin 4 DATA -> DIN (Data In)
Pin 5 GND -> G (Ground)

Optional Clock Header -> DAC Header
===========================================
Pin 2 CLK16 -> SCK (System Clock) (Commonly called Master Clock)

If you use the Metronome, you run the four I2S outs of the CDPro to the metronome in (no Metronome SCK input), then run the five metronome outs to the Opus DAC(s).

Joined 2004
Paid Member
unlocks

Get unlocks on the B2 when anything turns on or off. Lights, motors etc., not only that but if a light dimmer is turned only part way on the lock stays off until the dimmer is turned full on or off. I'm guessing its the teleporter because this didn't occur before. Any suggestions?

I had met same problem when using similar LVDS - i2s transmission scheme (It's not Teleporter, built by myself )

I assume eliminating GND connection between i2s source and DAC cause this kind of unlock
issue more frequently than simple single ended i2s (including GND) connection.

Yes an unlock in this case is typically not about the source at all. It is usually ground bounce or DC on the mains.

Last edited:
Get unlocks on the B2 when anything turns on or off. Lights, motors etc., not only that but if a light dimmer is turned only part way on the lock stays off until the dimmer is turned full on or off. I'm guessing its the teleporter because this didn't occur before. Any suggestions?

Dimmers are notorious for creating DC on mains. DC on mains can create very large EMI spikes which is why you get the unlocks.

This also could also indicate (Just guessing because I have not seen it occur) that you need to make sure your source and your DAC are close to the same ground potential. The DC potential between the two may be too high. In cases like this make sure both the source and the DAC are well earthed and the problem should be resolved.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
unlocks

Thanks for the responses. :) Last night I did searches for lock problems on the TP Support Forum. Only got through the first three pages.
As to the ground potential difference, probably. The dac is in the living room and pc is in the kitchen, different AC lines. Getting them well grounded
could be a problem, our home built in the 50's is two wire not the three wire system.
Didn't have the lock problems when using coax to send sp/dif. Ground on cable saved the day? But I was going into the spdif-reciever then into the dac I2S inputs.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just tried connecting pc&teleporter ground via a long wire to the dac ps.
Before connecting wire to dac I measured .23dcv & .9acv between ground wire and dac ps ground.
It did not make a difference. Lights, refrigerator motor starts/stops still cause unlocks! :(

I first tried the teleporters between a Phillips CD80 and the BII to transmit I2S signals. Can't recall now, if the lock problem occurred then. Both devices were on the same AC outlet. But, between every track there was a squelch. The I2S signal was tapped at the decoder output. I tried tapping at the SAA7220/DigitalFilter outputs tp the dac, but that wouldn't fly. I seem to recall that the 7220 level shifted the output to the dac for some reason!?

This also could also indicate (Just guessing because I have not seen it occur) that you need to make sure your source and your DAC are close to the same ground potential. The DC potential between the two may be too high. In cases like this make sure both the source and the DAC are well earthed and the problem should be resolved.

Last edited:
Dimmers are notorious for creating DC on mains. DC on mains can create very large EMI spikes which is why you get the unlocks.

That is why I forbid my girlfriend to buy lights that use a dimmer. Perhaps a good mains filter (not Y-filter) will do the trick. I use medical grade filters from Corcom. They don`t have any leaking current to the main ground and no degration in sonics at all.