• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Newbie question: Pros/Cons of a Preamp after a Bufalo III

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all Newbie here. Am planing to get a Buffalo III DAC when it comes out. I want to replace my system completely I'm a bit lost about what to get. Is a preamp needed/recommended between a Buffalo III and a Tube amp (have not yet decided which one, neither have i looked far for speakers). The aim is to drive headphones (I might rewire some to balanced mode) and speakers. What parts would be needed no the buffalo end - do I need a volume control if I use a preamp? Thanks! ElEsido

You don't need a pre, but you may prefer one, your call really. I have my buff 2 running straight into power amp. I tried a dcb1 in between but it'd didn't gel at all to my ears.

If you're listening on headphones then feasibly all you need is buff3, legato, volumite and associated psus (and source switching if you have more than one digital source). Legato will drive the headphones directly. So you could have a really minimal setup initially and then add power amp and speakers (or even active speakers) later.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.