• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

What I will need to assemble working Buffalo kit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Buffalo III is coming and USB to I2S & S/PDIF module is available now. I will try to catch all modules I need. But am newbie and want to be sure what to buy so I'll better ask here.

Inputs I want: USB, SPDIF, TOSLINK.
I will output to headphones tube amplifier or regular tube amplifier with speakers.

I think it will be sufficient for me to have one Buffalo module for both channels.

So I suppose I will need the following:
  • Buffalo-II or III DAC Module
  • Placid Power Supply Kit for Buffalo
  • IVY-III Kit
  • Placid HD Bipolar Power Supply Kit for IVY-III

• USB Receiver Module
  • TOSLINK Optical Input Module Kit
  • S/PDIF (WM8804) Receiver Module.
Do I need S/PDIF (WM8804) Receiver for TOSLINK right?

And I need two power transformers, right? One for Placid and one for Placid HD Bipolar. One is 15V+15V (30VA) Power Transformer and one 9V+9V (15VA) Power Transformer.

Please correct me if I am wrong somewhere.

And regarding orders from Twisted Pear. Maybe you know, is it possible to order with late shipping. I mean I want all items at once to save some money on shipping and it looks almost impossible to order all at once. Can I ask owners of TP to collect items and send them later together?

Thank you.

I have just been through a similar process of working out how all their parts fit together and which ones to order.

The only things I can think of that you may want to consider are a way to switch between inputs, volume control and power regulation for the input modules.

The BII can take one s/pdif input directly so the reciever shouldn't be needed, however the TOSLINK module outputs s/pdif so you would need a way to switch between them.

I think the BIII has more input options and volume control built in but we are waiting for the manual for more details, especially concerning switching between inputs.

I would want to run the power for the input modules from a separate supply to the placid used for the Buffalo, so another Placid or LCDPS. If you use the 9v-0-9v transformer you will have a spare 9v ac already.

I am planning on using a 6v transformer for the placid feeding my Buffalo rather than the 9v-0-9v unless someone gives me a good reason not to.

There is a new and improved USB module in the pipeline, look for the thread called "TPA -USB Transport" for all the details. The current one only supports 16 bit audio, I don't know if this is an issue for you. In my case I would like 24 bit to allow headroom for equalization on the PC from 16 bit files.

There has also been talk of an upgraded input selecting module, but references to that are scattered between many threads.

Finally if your preference is for tube sound you may prefer the sound of the Legato I-V stage to the IVY.

From comments I have read here and on their own forums Brian is good at holding orders until all is ready. I have currently ordered a mixture of preorder and available items and all is being shipped together.

Now we are all just waiting for the Buffalo III to come available, hopefully with some trident regulators as an extra special treat.

Good luck in the scramble when the do eventually release them.

Dan

First of all, the BII will likely not become available again. Brian stated he kept just a few boards apart for people who want to expand their existing setup to a dual mono setup.
The BOM for the BIII will be a bit different for your setup than that of the BII. First, the BIII has a built-in capability to switch between 4 SPDIF inputs. These need to be TTL level, or you'll need a new module that converts the SPDIF. Also, the BIII features a built-in Volumite module for which you just need a pot to use it. And with the BIII it's even more attractive to use the Trident regulators. So I'd suggest the following list:

- BIII
- IVY3
- LCDPS (1 half for BIII/Trident combo, 1 half for rest of modules)
- Placid HD BP
- Trident set
- Toslink module
- New Mux module for BIII
- New or old USB module depending on your requirements.
- 15+15V transformer
- 9+9V transformer

Thank you very much Dan and LeonvB for your response!

Dan,
Why do you think Legato I-V is better for tube amps? Did you tried both Legato I-V and IVY with tube amp?

LeonvB,
Why LCDPS instead of Placid HD BP for BIII/Trident? It's cheaper and suits first stage (DAC)?

Thanks!

Why LCDPS instead of Placid HD BP for BIII/Trident? It's cheaper and suits first stage (DAC)?

Thanks!

There is no point running the shunting power supplies (in the Buffalo) from a shunting power supply (Placid). Also, you cant use the Placid HD BP for the Buffalo, but I think you meant the regular Placid. Also, if you use the LCDPS you can use one half to run the Buffalo and the other to run other modules from.

Dan,
Why do you think Legato I-V is better for tube amps? Did you tried both Legato I-V and IVY with tube amp?

My comment is not based on side by side listening yet, I have only recently ordered the first of my components. It was based on a thread about to the differences between IVY and Legato, and trying to decide which to use. My job is quiet at the moment and I have a lot of time to trawl forums.

The consensus I filtered from all the comments was that both were superb but the Legato was generally described as warmer and more musical whereas the IVY tended to be described as accurate and precise, these are the same sorts of subjective vocabulary that we often attribute to valve and solid state circuits respectively.

Depending on your tastes you may either want to counter or compliment the characteristics of your amp with your selection of the linestage. For example, a friend is using a Benchmark DAC1 with built in linestage, which we both consider to be very analytical when listened to it on good headphones, but with vintage Quad II valve amps the characteristics of each combine to a neutral sound that is very easy on the ears.

For my part I have ordered the IVY, mostly because my open baffle speaker plans needs a lot of reinforcement of the bass and the IVY is a more efficient circuit so will run cooler with the extra load. I am designing backwards from the room and the speakers since they are the least accurate part of the chain. For reference, I like the sound of tube amps with electrostatics but generally prefer solid state circuits for dynamic drivers.

I still plan on buying the Legato and comparing the two for myself, but that's something to play with once I have a working system. It's not exactly an expensive item, I just wish there was a simple way to swap back and forwards without having to de-solder and adjust the power supply each time.

Dan

There is no point running the shunting power supplies (in the Buffalo) from a shunting power supply (Placid). Also, you cant use the Placid HD BP for the Buffalo, but I think you meant the regular Placid. Also, if you use the LCDPS you can use one half to run the Buffalo and the other to run other modules from.
Exactly, the noise level from the Tridents will determine the amount of noise injected into the DAC. Using a low noise shunt PSU to them adds 0 value. But the LCDPS has 2 halves, which allows you to separate the DAC and the rest of the modules. Since the DAC with Tridents uses almost all of the capacity of 1 circuit using 2 circuits DOES offer some advantages.

He's just getting a bit impatient, I can understand why: the Tridents are a big improvement so most would want to have them sooner rather than later.

As a sidenote: I saw the Placid HD (non-BP) on the site. What are the basic specs on those? Do they go above 500mAh?

Hi Brian

Please don't take my comment the wrong way. Your products open up a whole world of audio that would be beyond me otherwise. I am in awe of what you and Russ have achieved in you own time and very grateful. Most of all I respect your right to do it on your own terms as and when you have the time and enthusiasm. We, the 'customers' just need to be realistic and accept that it may take some time to assemble all the parts for a complete working system. And sometimes base our design decisions on availability rather than ideals.

Most of all, a big thank you for sharing your skills and knowledge with us all in such an accessable format.

Dan

As a sidenote: I saw the Placid HD (non-BP) on the site. What are the basic specs on those? Do they go above 500mAh?

The Placid HD is the positive half of the Placid HD BP. Same parts, same layout, same specs. It is why we switched the resdefs on the BP to A/B; placid gets one bad of parts, the BP gets two (an attempt to make it easier to keep stuff in stock :))

That sounds like a good plan to increase availability.

At the same moment this increases the power output of the Placid considerably. It seems running multiple PSUs isn't mandatory anymore for most setups. Would it be a good idea to just use a Placid HD in this case, i.e. connect DAC + Tridents with all the input modules?

Brian and Russ, if your ever in this part of the world, I'll buy the beers.

Which Placids did you ship last week? I have one in an order that's currently passing through New York.

Is there a reason to run the Placids off a 9v transformer to get 5.2v output or would a 6v transformer work just as well?

Dan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.