• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

What I will need to assemble working Buffalo kit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am sorry for my rant. I have had a beer, and regret my snippiness.

better get two next time!:D
this is a typical situation where a hobby starts to move onto a more serious path and some serious decisions have to be made in the near future
anyway; keep it up
I´ve bought a fair load of stuff from you and have never been disappointed
just impatient
best
Leif
Norway

On the question of the new HD Placid; I'm about to go dual-mono and I've got all the modules, apart from another set of Tridents, to do so.

My current Buffalo/Trident and TOSlink module works fine with the standard Placid (suitably cranked up) but I've also got an MUX 4.1 which I've been reluctant to add to the Placid's burden. I wonder then, would it be acceptable to use one standard Placid as now for Buff/Trident & a HD Placid for the other channel plus the MUX? Or would this imbalance in power supplies have an affect of sound quality?

Tony, I have no problem with even the normal Placid here. I'm running dual mono on 2 normal Placids, one to just the BII+Tridents, one to that and the Mux + Toslink module. As long as you can shunt enough current it should be fine.

@Brain: wouldn't you need a much bigger heatsink for currents like 1A?

It would depend on some degree (ha) what the voltage drop is, in addition to the total current draw. Even with the kit heatsinks, you could provide a good amount of current before needing to go larger. It would also depend on the type of load you have (meaning, how constant the actual current draw is).

The LM317 can function up to 1.5A and a Tj of 125C.

I'm looking to power a BeagleBoard, which wants 5V at somewhere between 1A and 3A depending on which parts of it need power, with the higher end only needed if you're trying to run full power to all of its USB ports. I'm planning on only needing to power its Ethernet interface and one USB port, which shouldn't need any additional current beyond the default 100mA, and tap the I2S output to feed to a Buffalo.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.