!Buffalo 2 problem! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Twisted Pear

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 21st May 2011, 01:53 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default !Buffalo 2 problem!

I bought the buffalo dac from someone at head-fi.

I receive the dac yesterday and I didnt have a coax, so I used a good rca, and sound was coming out of it. However, I had to switch between wires often to find a cable that didnt crackles, I finally found one that permits me to listen to music.

Today, theres a problem. I bought a coaxial cable. Since then, even if I go back to the rca cable I was using yesterday, theres super disturbing crackles, plus the music stops every 30 secound to reload I guess. I have a v-dac, and this happens once every hours! Yesterday night, I seemed to notice that the crackles was there when I used hi-res files, but today, any files causes problem to the dac!

please help, I'm about to lose my mind, cry, throw the dac out the window and go back to my normal ipod life
Old 21st May 2011, 04:07 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

A grounding issue maybe? Could you post some pics of the insides?
Old 21st May 2011, 05:13 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

make sure the interal connections are tight. the dac can make sound with a loose ground on the SPDIF input, but it will crackle every once and a while. perhaps changing cables often aggrevated a loose connection on the RCA jack.
Old 21st May 2011, 06:27 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Didn't you use a SPDIF receiver module?
Old 21st May 2011, 06:34 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin el mago View Post
Didn't you use a SPDIF receiver module?
Shoudnt be needed if he only has one input.
Old 21st May 2011, 11:01 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

okay, heres the update. I use foobar with asio4all with success with my musical fidelity v-dac. I think that I solved the problem concerning the buffering (stops every 30 second for half a secound or so) by increasing the asio buffer.

However, the crackles are still there and its intermittent. sometimes its coming from both output, but mainly from one. But both output seems to develop the same problem. What should I do? I did not build the buffalo, so I have no idea what to do next. Even just connected without any music playing, I hear some crackles sometimes. (I hope that you understand what I mean by crackles, sort of a vinyl crackles type of sound)

thanks for your helpl and what should I do next.

I checked for any loose connection, but everything seems in order,

Anyone experienced this problem. Would it be only a problem from the output, or could come from the chip itself? I'm afraid to have lose my money...

just for information, I use a m-audio firewire 1814 audiocard

Last edited by jasonthegreat; 21st May 2011 at 11:05 PM.
Old 21st May 2011, 11:16 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I may have talked to fast, the stopping of music (buffering) keeps happening, even if I put the buffering in the asio at the highest possible. The problem only happened with my v-dac if I put the asio buffering at sort of 88 samples, but now i'm at 1200 something, and still it buffs. When it happened, on the buffallo dac, the little green light, with the lock written next to it, flashes...
Old 21st May 2011, 11:20 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Also, the crackles are surely there everytime I change a song, during the songs, they are much more rare, can it comes from my computer, but how and why, since its working perfectly with my other dac
Old 21st May 2011, 11:32 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I'm sorry for all the post.

Okay, something even weirder. The crackles are immediate with hi-res files, but with just normal flac files, the crackles are MUCH less often, but right when I put a hi-res vinyl rip files, the crackles are back
Old 21st May 2011, 11:52 PM   #10
reo is offline reo  Canada
diyAudio Member

What is your Output format set to. 32-Bits !?
If so, it might be too high , you can drop it to 16 or 24-Bits and see if the scratching remains or ....

Hide this!Advertise here!