• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

!Buffalo 2 problem!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I bought the buffalo dac from someone at head-fi.

I receive the dac yesterday and I didnt have a coax, so I used a good rca, and sound was coming out of it. However, I had to switch between wires often to find a cable that didnt crackles, I finally found one that permits me to listen to music.

Today, theres a problem. I bought a coaxial cable. Since then, even if I go back to the rca cable I was using yesterday, theres super disturbing crackles, plus the music stops every 30 secound to reload I guess. I have a v-dac, and this happens once every hours! Yesterday night, I seemed to notice that the crackles was there when I used hi-res files, but today, any files causes problem to the dac!

please help, I'm about to lose my mind, cry, throw the dac out the window and go back to my normal ipod life :D

okay, heres the update. I use foobar with asio4all with success with my musical fidelity v-dac. I think that I solved the problem concerning the buffering (stops every 30 second for half a secound or so) by increasing the asio buffer.

However, the crackles are still there and its intermittent. sometimes its coming from both output, but mainly from one. But both output seems to develop the same problem. What should I do? I did not build the buffalo, so I have no idea what to do next. Even just connected without any music playing, I hear some crackles sometimes. (I hope that you understand what I mean by crackles, sort of a vinyl crackles type of sound)

thanks for your helpl and what should I do next.

I checked for any loose connection, but everything seems in order,

Anyone experienced this problem. Would it be only a problem from the output, or could come from the chip itself? I'm afraid to have lose my money...

just for information, I use a m-audio firewire 1814 audiocard

Last edited:
I may have talked to fast, the stopping of music (buffering) keeps happening, even if I put the buffering in the asio at the highest possible. The problem only happened with my v-dac if I put the asio buffering at sort of 88 samples, but now i'm at 1200 something, and still it buffs. When it happened, on the buffallo dac, the little green light, with the lock written next to it, flashes...

I use asio with foobar.

i switched to just use foobar with my sound card at 16 bit. The crackles are still there, even if foobar is totally closed. Also, at 16 bit, the music stop every 20 second or so...
That probably tells you that the problem doesnt comes from the way I manage my music.

Also, I tried with winamp, or VLC player, yet all the problems are still there...

thx btw

Last edited:
I'm sorry for all the post.

Okay, something even weirder. The crackles are immediate with hi-res files, but with just normal flac files, the crackles are MUCH less often, but right when I put a hi-res vinyl rip files, the crackles are back
where are you getting these hi-rez vinyl rip files from? i had some and it wasn't ripped well, giving me tons of crackles.

No, my vinyl rips are from known guys on the net, with the reputation of giving a absolute vinyl rip and anyways, I listen to those rips all the times, the crackles doesnt comes from the files. Pm me for info about the vinyl rips, I can't tell it on a public forum. In facts all the rips I have sounds better then my decent turn table with the same vinyl. Theres particularly one guy on a blog that his rips are to die for

Okay, I think I found something! From one of the lcdps, the one going to the upper dac board, one of the black thing (transformateur I guess) gets super hot, boiling hot, while all the other 3 are in a normal temperature, so that might be the problem...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.