• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

!Buffalo 2 problem!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
okay, I will tommorrow night, since I have to go get my dads camera.

but like I said, 1 of the 4 transformers (they call it(?)) is extremely hot, so that resistor failing could be it. Is the legato board the lcdbs? I have two lcdps board, on which each board have two black thing (i hope people understand what I mean), and on one of the board, one black thing gets super hot, and the other not, and on the other side, both remain relativly mildly hot...

ouff I feel a bit release as I feel we located the problem. thanks guys and I will post the pic tommorrow

The "Black" things are actually Heatsinks for the Voltage Regulators.

The LCBPS is not the Legato Board. The LCBPS is the power regulator board to supply power to the DAC or Legato I/V board.

Since you do not really understand what is what, a photo will speak a thousand words. ;)

Okay, I'm back from work.
I talked to the seller and he assure me that the DAC was working perfectly, but how do we know for sure.

pcking: how can you know that the problem might come from the capacitor? How can I find the problematic caps? Do you want any specific picture from the dac, what parts do you want to see?

Brian: have you ever experience with the problem I'm describing?

thanks

Okay, I'm back from work.

pcking: how can you know that the problem might come from the capacitor? How can I find the problematic caps? Do you want any specific picture from the dac, what parts do you want to see?

thanks

Hi Jason, I didn't say it was capacitors. I said it might be the resistors. I had a similar problem on my Legato.

An overview photo of the entire DAC would be good for now. It's basically to determine what you are having besides the BuffaloII DAC board. Or maybe you can ask the seller what are the various boards in your chassis.

I don't think it's the DAC board that is having this issue. ;)

Do you have a DVD player, or CD player with a digital output? Try playing a CD through that into the Buffalo just to see what happens. Using computer audio there are too many variables to isolate your issue. If you have the problem with both sources, I would continue to diagnose the Buffalo using a digital source with fewer variables.

OOOO Yesss! One of the problem is gone,. I restarted my audiocard, without realizing this could solve the problem, and from them on, the music never stops, besides maybe onece every half an hour.

The crackling comes from time to time, but not enough to drive me nuts.

, I'm stunt that a simple restart of computer and soundcard could solve anything.

BTW, the dac sounds amazing. DEstroys every aspects of the V-Dac. The music experience is so easy. It just let the music show itself. The bass are tight, clear, precise. The soundstage and the imaging is great, but what really surprise me, is how everything breath. Nothing is congested, I listen to a lot of jazz, and all the instrument have their place. With the v-dac, which sounds decent considering the price, on complicated music, you almost need to struggle to hear every detail, with the buffalo, everything is presented with no effort. It's hard to explain, but its so much easier to just appreciate the song. I was a bit concern that to much detail would kill the musicallity, but its not the case. I'm really happy and its worth every penny. I can now hear how my amp and speakers need to be changed!

anyway, thanks

Hmm... Since U have the Legato, there is a very high possibility that it's due to the resistors once U can confirm the problem is still there even with a CDP/DVDP as source. :p
I have try with a bad dvd player that is near not fonctionnal, I will find a decent cd player, because the dvd player buffs all the time, so couldn't understand what was what. however the craklings werent there...

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2011
Very likely it is your computer and soundcard
I'm jasonthegreat also.
I hope so, I will find a cd player with coax out, and will report later.

So far, the problem is really intermittent. The buffalo is working now, with no problem, only when I play certain hi-res files. So, I'm keeping it open all the time, because when I turn it off and open it back, it doesnt work. It seems as if I need to turn off the buffalo, I must let it completely relax for at least 2 hours, and then the buffalo works normally, but if I rush th8ings (close it and open it 20 minute later) the buffalo have all the problem, no matter what files.

weird!

thanks so far for the help, I need to find a cd player with coax

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.