• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo III - flexibility without compromise.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
not that part

"Originally Posted by Russ White View Post
Something like this would work just fine:

15-44-5820 Molex Headers & Wire Housings

Then just a 2 x 10 2.54mm pitch standard male pin header for the other side."

This part is not the one that came with the kit, but something that can be used instead of the ribbon cable system.

Just updated the guide to 1.0.3: expanded the IDC part list, to include both 20 and 24 pin Molex and 3M partnumbers (for both Digikey and Mouser where possible), plus I added the board-to-board connectors mentioned earlier in this thread. For the rest just a few minor changes to clarify some things.

Page 14 of the manual says it should be this:
MCLK = do not connect (master clock not connected on either BII or BIII)
SCLK1 or SCLK2 = BCK (SCLK = serial clock = bit clock)
LRCK1 or LRCK2 = D1 (LRCK = Word clock)
SDIN1, SDIN2, SDIN3, SDIN4 = D2 to D5

Shall I tie together SCLK1 and SCLK2, LRCK1 and LRCK2 to connect to appropriate pins of BIII?
Source GND to BIII GND or it's not obligatory, as GND isn't I2S bus line and es9018 datasheet shows connections only for PCM serial data, fame clock (word clock), and bit clock?

Last edited:
Impossible to tell. If SCLK1 = SCLK2 and LRCK1 = LRCK2 you could connect just one of each. You'll have to contact the manufacturer of your I2S module to ask how it is implemented.

What about GND pin?
If I configure BIII outputs to 8ch and play 2ch source only dynamic range will suffer? BIII inputs shall be configured in the same way as outputs? What are drawbacks of not paralleling inputs of the dac?
Can I use XLR to RCA converters to connect dac outputs to SE amplifier?
Thanks in any way.

Last edited:
- GND is connected to the signal ground. I'm sure your I2S input has a ground pin hidden somewhere.
- Noise will likely be higher.
- You can use the SE outputs of the I/V stage to connect your SE amplifier.

- it has, there is an entire ground plane used in such equipment. my PC GND is very noisy, in fact it posses 112VAC potential with refference to earth as a result of such PSU implementation (thermistors from vac lines to middle point).
- do you mean in case when dac inputs are not paralleled like outputs?
- I'm aware of that. What about this converter?

I'd like to report this question - it got lost in a deep discussion about ribbon connectors.
===============================================
I'm interested in any opinions from BIII users as to the exact meanings and effects of some of the switch settings.

I'm only using SPDIF input, mostly red book. So what effect do these settings have, or are they even relevant?

- Quantizer setting
- Differential mode
- FIR Roll off (and what does this filter do exactly?)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.