Buffalo III - flexibility without compromise. - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Twisted Pear

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 13th May 2011, 11:10 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
2.1" x 3.7" with mounting holes and connectors for output at the same spots as Buffalo II for a fairly simple swap. It is only slightly larger than Buffalo II.
Old 13th May 2011, 11:28 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

One thing to note, is that this is a pretty significant board design. I spent a lot of time on it, and Brian and I bounced around ideas for the past year so. I probably laid it out a dozen times before settling on this design. The time involved was definitely worth it.
Old 13th May 2011, 11:55 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Default Nice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ White View Post
One thing to note, is that this is a pretty significant board design. I spent a lot of time on it, and Brian and I bounced around ideas for the past year so. I probably laid it out a dozen times before settling on this design. The time involved was definitely worth it.
I am going to go out on a limb and suggest the above is hinting at sonic improvements as the result of an even better board layout (not that the B-II was that compromised in this regard).
Old 14th May 2011, 01:48 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrows View Post
I am going to go out on a limb and suggest the above is hinting at sonic improvements as the result of an even better board layout (not that the B-II was that compromised in this regard).
Well lets just say I am not at all disappointed.

What I am extremely pleased about is the ability to do absolutely anything your like with the chip. Buffalo II is an excellent DAC, but the major design priority was to be easy to use. Buffalo III is not hard to use, but it is not exactly as simple. Still it is not going to present an insurmountable challenge to anyone.

For instance, Buffalo II has a built in comparator for SPDIF input. This is very handy, but you can only use one SPDIF source connected to that input.

Buffalo III has no compactor at all. Instead it just makes each digital input available to the user with a nice header. That header can be connected directly or with a ribbon cable to any sort of input module (or modules) you like. One of our first input modules will be a 4 input SPDIF module that has a quad 7ns comparator and galvanic isolation. It will make use of the on-board MUX capability of the ESS DAC. That really would not have been possible with the Buffalo II scheme which was driven by a different set of practical priorities.

Of you course you can also choose to use any TTL SPDIF, I2S(or other supported PCM format) or DSD source without any fuss.

One other very cool feature of B-III are the jumpers which are located on the bottom on the board. They are used to connect digital or analog nets togther. Want a Stereo DAC? Ok no problem. Mono? OK 4 - channel? easy! Even 6, 1, and for the totally crazy - 1 channel with each output in exactly the same phase. All of those are possible.

So let the fun begin! Well soon anyway...

Last edited by Russ White; 14th May 2011 at 02:05 AM.
Old 14th May 2011, 04:31 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Yeah, sure - go ahead and reveal this the day after I take delivery of a no doubt inferior multi-channel output solution.

The need for 8 channels of output stage is a non-trivial consideration, but considering that I have an M-Audio delta 1010 that has 4 pairs of I2S signals on a DB25 port, this is rather intriguing.
Old 14th May 2011, 11:43 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Hi.
Can you reveal full performance and technical specs of the BIII?
Old 14th May 2011, 04:28 PM   #27
LeonvB is offline LeonvB  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

All those outputs do make me wonder how to connect it all if one would like an 8 channel setup. At least 4 I/V stages would be needed, that's a lot of distance to cover. Also, those I/O ports almost seem to be begging for an external controller. This promises to be quite a complex setup when fully tricked out, although in a default setup I think it'll be almost as easy to use as the BII.
I like the way the full functionality of the ESS chip is unlocked, and the modularity of the power supply section.
Old 14th May 2011, 06:39 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

8 channels is a lot of kit, but it would not be terribly hard to do at all.

You could stack 2 IVY-III (or Legato if you want) on either side of the DAC, so 4 total. You would install terminal blocks on the IVYs each with the wires pointing inward toward the DAC. Use pin headers and .1" connectors (or simply solder the wires on the DAC side, your choice) and wire up the IVYs. I would personally directly solder these wires to the DAC to get the best possible connection.

I would probably choose IVY because they use a lot less current. So you would likely only really need one Placid BP_HD or LCBPS.

The IVYs also have an advantage for this setup in that they don't make much heat and will work a bit better when configured for the current to voltage ratio that will be needed with only 1/4 the normal current.

Last edited by Russ White; 14th May 2011 at 06:44 PM.
Old 14th May 2011, 09:09 PM   #29
LeonvB is offline LeonvB  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Are all the other items (IO_EXT, input block, I2C) 0.1" pitch too? How many pins is the input block actually?
Given the amount of connections on the new module, I'll include connector information in the new guide, fi. partnumbers for Molex Grid connectors. So I'm making lists of possible connectors. Hardwiring everything might get a bit messy, esp. with the 24-pin port.

Note: The questions on 8-channel were just for the new guide, not for me personally... I only use 2 speakers, so I'll stick to dual mono.
Old 14th May 2011, 09:39 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonvB View Post
Are all the other items (IO_EXT, input block, I2C) 0.1" pitch too? How many pins is the input block actually?
Given the amount of connections on the new module, I'll include connector information in the new guide, fi. partnumbers for Molex Grid connectors. So I'm making lists of possible connectors. Hardwiring everything might get a bit messy, esp. with the 24-pin port.

Note: The questions on 8-channel were just for the new guide, not for me personally... I only use 2 speakers, so I'll stick to dual mono.
Oh its much more simple than that. Those .1" headers for digital inputs and interface are designed for IDC connectors and ribbon cable. there will be daughter boards for various applications. You could also simply use some ribbon and an IDC connector at the header and then just separate the ribbon as you need to as well.

I2C header is same 4 pin .1" as Buff II.

Wiring should be nice and tidy.

Last edited by Russ White; 14th May 2011 at 09:42 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!