Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 24th October 2013, 01:29 AM   #1291
mcluxun is offline mcluxun  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianDonegan View Post
You need 1.2V for VDD.
Got it, thanks.
As far as I can see few people have mentioned/tried it.
Any major disadvantages/difficulties I wasn't aware of here?
Old 24th October 2013, 02:20 PM   #1292
diyAudio Member

I have not done it. You will want to use very good batteries (LiPo), otherwise they will have rather high impedance, and can degrade performance.

Others will know more about implementation details, however.
Old 24th October 2013, 03:24 PM   #1293
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcluxun View Post
Got it, thanks.
As far as I can see few people have mentioned/tried it.
Any major disadvantages/difficulties I wasn't aware of here?
A good regulator has much lower noise and impedance.
Old 24th October 2013, 06:00 PM   #1294
LeonvB is offline LeonvB  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Batteries aren't stable. When fully charged, the voltage will be above the nominal value and when discharging it'll drop gradually till they are almost empty, after which the voltage will drop very fast. Because of this behaviour, you'll want regulators behind them, and with Lipo also a protection against deep-discharge.
Old 5th November 2013, 12:34 PM   #1295
Coris is offline Coris  Norway
diyAudio Member

The discharge rate of a LiIon/Lipo battery is quite constant for an enough long period of use, if the capacity (A/h) is enough high for the delivered/needed current. I think nobody will have on a DAC to listen it for days, continuous. Few hour listening/use is reasonable. This time it can be covered very well of a large capacity battery, and the discharge rate variation it may be in teens mV range, in such case. Then charge it up while the system is off. One may know that a LiIon/Lipo battery completely charged have a 4,xV, and keep this tension with small variations quite long discharging time ...
Experienced with different batteries capacities for the average time of DAC system, or its components use, regarding the current needed, it may give at last a good battery solution.
Alternative to battery use is in my opinion the very large decoupling capacities at the chip power pins and voltage regulators.

Last edited by Coris; 5th November 2013 at 12:43 PM.
Old 5th November 2013, 09:13 PM   #1296
mcluxun is offline mcluxun  United States
diyAudio Member

I used to use a 6.4V lifepo4 battery to power my Ian's FIFO.
I did notice the charger came with it is rated 7.3 and a full charge gets my battery to 7.1. It will drop to 6.7 petty fast and slowly discharging.
I would like to see a active battery manage system with two batteries which disconnect/charge batteries when it's out of voltage range.
Old 6th November 2013, 07:45 AM   #1297
diyAudio Member

I also think that powering some DAC components/rails/clock from battery is a very promising idea.
A battery manage system it may not be a challenge, but someone it may start to work on this...
In mean while a large battery capacity regarding the needed discharging current it can provide very well a constant power for many hours of use. I already use a 3A/h LiIon battery on a 40mA circuit. I have a drop of no more than 20-30mV on teens of functional hours without charging.
To days mobile phones batteries with many A/h capacity are a very good solution for those who want to go/try this way...

Last edited by Coris; 6th November 2013 at 07:53 AM.
Old 6th November 2013, 12:49 PM   #1298
4est is offline 4est  United States
diyAudio Member

My BII consumes nearly 10x this much current for the DAC board.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coris View Post
I also think that powering some DAC components/rails/clock from battery is a very promising idea.
A battery manage system it may not be a challenge, but someone it may start to work on this...
In mean while a large battery capacity regarding the needed discharging current it can provide very well a constant power for many hours of use. I already use a 3A/h LiIon battery on a 40mA circuit. I have a drop of no more than 20-30mV on teens of functional hours without charging.
To days mobile phones batteries with many A/h capacity are a very good solution for those who want to go/try this way...
Old 6th November 2013, 05:46 PM   #1299
diyAudio Member

There is not so reasonable to power the whole DAC system from battery... In my posts I refer to a battery powering of some devices in such system (oscillator, some power rails for DAC chip, and so on).
Old 14th December 2013, 10:00 AM   #1300
diyAudio Member

Having BIII and IVY I am going to use Placid HD BP and Placid HD power supplies
Do I need to connect the GND on "Placid HD BP" with GND on "Placid HD"?
If yes, on which point? TP_GND1?

Hide this!Advertise here!