Quote:
Originally Posted by shoom View Post
Hi Russ/Brian/Leon

just plugged in the new firmware update

reversed all switches

works fine

thanks
Excellent!

One other thing to mention is that if you use SPDIF selection you sould leave SW2 positions 1 and 2 open.

Also one side effect is that when using SPDIF4 the progress will be opposite what it was. For instance input 1 will actually be input 4 and input 4 will actually be input 1. This was not intentional, I just did not think about it until now. Still it will work just fine, just wire appropriately.

Cheers!
Russ

Last edited by Russ White; 27th April 2013 at 02:42 PM.
Old 27th April 2013, 05:13 PM   #1262
LeonvB is offline LeonvB  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Exclamation New guide uploaded

Please beware that the current version of the guide (2.1.1) is based on the NEW firmware.

If you have a BIII with an old firmware and still use the 2.0.0 guide, everything should be fine. When using the old firmware with the new guide one should invert the ON/OFF values for SW1/SW2. The only exception is external switches: when using EXT_IO the corresponding switch on SW1 or SW2 should always be put in the OFF position.
Old 27th April 2013, 05:22 PM   #1263
shoom is offline shoom  Europe
diyAudio Member

‘’Please beware that the current version of the guide (2.1.1) is based on the NEW firmware.’’

Yup

That’s the version of the guide that I used to set up my BIII with the new firmware and I found everything clearly explained even for a novice like me.

Just a quick read through was all that was needed

Good job Leon
Old 1st May 2013, 01:11 AM   #1264
diyAudio Member

Hi Folks - I am putting together a BIII and when I purchased the parts I ordered a spdif4 card and a sidecar. I was originally planning to connect my music server via toslink, however I ordered a Amanero USB card recently and think that this might be a better way to go. My question is this: Should I used the spdif card and the sidecar or just connect the USB card directly to the BIII board?

Thanks

Rick
Old 1st May 2013, 01:31 PM   #1265
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
I would suggest going direct PCM input if you plan on using that input exclusively. This allows you to wire optimally.
Old 1st May 2013, 06:09 PM   #1266
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ White View Post
I would suggest going direct PCM input if you plan on using that input exclusively. This allows you to wire optimally.
I'll do that.

Thanks
RD
Old 15th May 2013, 06:13 PM   #1267
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I am newbie here and planing to implement a buffalo iii DAC project and i am curious about LCD and control board... - is there any kit around I could use?
i can't do it myself, because have no skills in programming and arduino...

thank's for any answer
Old 16th May 2013, 03:32 AM   #1268
DQ828 is offline DQ828  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donatasm7 View Post
Hi,

I am newbie here and planing to implement a buffalo iii DAC project and i am curious about LCD and control board... - is there any kit around I could use?

thank's for any answer
If you are up to doing the electronics side, what you could do is follow one of the implementations that other DIY'ers are doing & use their code, generally everybody is willing to share. It's when you stray from there particular implementation that it becomes an issue. HiFiduino would be a great place to start looking.
Old 16th May 2013, 03:55 AM   #1269
bkdog is offline bkdog  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi,

thank's for any answer
There's also this one:
ES9018 I2C controller
Old 16th May 2013, 03:56 AM   #1270
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi,

thank's for any answer
As DQ suggested take a look at HiFiDuino Intro. A great primer for what is required.

INTRO | H i F i D U I N O

I went with a shield from Corpius. A shield is a second board that attaches to the Arduino board. He also offers his own version of a controller and provides easily configured code for your application. That and an I2C controller for the LCD significantly reduces the number of wires to run the LCD. My affiliation with Corpius is internet forum friend and paying customer for two of his shields. I am currently using his shield and code.

EDIT: bkdog beat me to posting but here is CE Designs site (Corpius).

Buffalo shield v1.1

electroFUN LTD: I2C LCD extra IO

This is how it looks wired ready to go with rotary encoder, I2C LCD extra IO board and IR receiver for Apple remote control for my BIII DAC. An Arduino UNO is under the shield.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by SCompRacer; 16th May 2013 at 04:11 AM. Reason: bkdog posted while I was composing

Hide this!Advertise here!