Buffalo III - flexibility without compromise. - Page 122 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Twisted Pear

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2012, 04:30 PM   #1211
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: North IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQ828 View Post
It looks great, I had a similar thing happen recently, too deep in the forest to see the trees

Nobody else has a 384Hz model
Thanks for the kind words...and you are so right. The only one like it...lol
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2012, 04:42 PM   #1212
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by c12mech View Post
DC blocking at the outputs are what is needed. I know that these can get really expensive. How do different values affect the sound? It sounds great as is but I nor the owner want to change the sound unless it is better. I thought of buying a few of the less expensive ones to try out. Just to see the kind of difference it makes.
Buy 47 uf 50 V Then they will be ok for even very low impedances. My dac use 47 uf. and can be stated as world class according to a friend.
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2012, 04:59 PM   #1213
Corpius is offline Corpius  Netherlands
diyAudio Member
 
Corpius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by c12mech View Post
That is a nice looking build. Can you give a little information about the display. I would like to have some for the next one I do for myself. I would love to be able to use a VFD for the display. I just like the look.

Can anyone suggest some good caps to use as AC coupling caps. Russ suggested 4.7uf-10uf as a size. I just need to know what anyone might be using that sounds good. Prices for such animals can be ridiculous.
The LCD is an 20x4 white on blue display with a Hitachi HD44780 LCD controller. He uses it with 'LCD ExtraIO' from electroFUN. This is basically an port extender allowing one to control the LCD using the "two-wire interface" (I2C). The controller is an Arduino Uno.
__________________
CE-Designs.net
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2012, 05:01 PM   #1214
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: North IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by c12mech View Post
That is a nice looking build. Can you give a little information about the display. I would like to have some for the next one I do for myself. I would love to be able to use a VFD for the display. I just like the look.
Thanks for the kind words. I was just getting to enclosure choices when I decided to add the Arduino/LCD display. I was overwhelmed by it all and followed HiFiduino's recommendations for the HD44780 protocol displays.

INTRO H i F i D U I N O

Some folks, like DQ828, Corpius, gwiske, and bigpanda that can do code used different type displays. IIRC VFD displays will require external power due to the high mA requirements.

I had this big rats nest of wires on a breadboard with my Arduino/LCD until Corpius put me on to the electroFun LTD I2C LCDextra IO board. That reduced number of wires to run LCD. You do have to replace the Arduino LCD library with electroFUN's for it to work and add some lines to the code. Not sure if that works with VFD displays, but anyone that goes the LCD route should look into it. Not very expensive, like $9 US.

In regards to coupling caps, I saved some suggestions folks have offered in other threads. Mundorf ZN, Mundorf Supreme, Sonicaps. But I don't know caps like most of the folks here do.

Last edited by SCompRacer; 17th December 2012 at 05:03 PM. Reason: EDIT: Thanks Corpius, you posted while I was composing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2012, 05:30 PM   #1215
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCompRacer View Post
Thanks for the kind words. I was just getting to enclosure choices when I decided to add the Arduino/LCD display. I was overwhelmed by it all and followed HiFiduino's recommendations for the HD44780 protocol displays.

INTRO H i F i D U I N O

Some folks, like DQ828, Corpius, gwiske, and bigpanda that can do code used different type displays. IIRC VFD displays will require external power due to the high mA requirements.

I had this big rats nest of wires on a breadboard with my Arduino/LCD until Corpius put me on to the electroFun LTD I2C LCDextra IO board. That reduced number of wires to run LCD. You do have to replace the Arduino LCD library with electroFUN's for it to work and add some lines to the code. Not sure if that works with VFD displays, but anyone that goes the LCD route should look into it. Not very expensive, like $9 US.

In regards to coupling caps, I saved some suggestions folks have offered in other threads. Mundorf ZN, Mundorf Supreme, Sonicaps. But I don't know caps like most of the folks here do.
I like Mundorf ZN. What I hate is anything starting with M . Metalized caps is killing the homogeinity. They focus on the treble. And make hard midrange.
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2012, 05:44 PM   #1216
Corpius is offline Corpius  Netherlands
diyAudio Member
 
Corpius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erlend Sæterdal View Post
I like Mundorf ZN. What I hate is anything starting with M . Metalized caps is killing the homogeinity. They focus on the treble. And make hard midrange.
Mundorf starts with an M
__________________
CE-Designs.net
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2012, 05:46 PM   #1217
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpius View Post
Mundorf starts with an M
Haha What I meant was MKT, MKP, MKS etc. ZN is pure Polypropylene foil KP.
  Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2012, 03:36 AM   #1218
c12mech is offline c12mech  United States
diyAudio Member
 
c12mech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GTMO
Thanks for all that information. That will keep me busy for a while. Luckily I'm not in any hurry for it so I can take the time to get it all worked out like I want.
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2012, 09:02 AM   #1219
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Default Power supply influence on sound from Otto II

Hi anybody have exsperience with power supply quality influence on sound from Otto II and SPDIF 4 ?

I use a 7805 and wonder why I did this because I use very good supplys for everything else.
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2012, 09:08 AM   #1220
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Norway
noise is noise whereever you inject it imo
best
Leif
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Legato or IVY III outputs for Buffalo II? natzev_i Twisted Pear 272 21st March 2011 08:08 PM
Buffalo Dac original vs Buffalo II mrtakib Digital Line Level 7 24th August 2010 06:47 AM
How much compromise, small EQ'ed sub audiobomber Subwoofers 10 15th March 2007 09:46 PM
Considering a compromise mashaffer Full Range 7 14th May 2006 11:45 PM
OB subs: Best compromise? MtnBob Subwoofers 13 26th May 2004 02:19 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 11:18 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2