• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo III - flexibility without compromise.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The regulated 5.25V power supply of B3 is used to supply the 3.3V regulator of the isolator. So both supplies have common grounds. Then also the digital connections between isolator and B3 carry ground connections. Could that cause a problem?

At this moment the rest of the WaveIO board, although it has its own power supply, is also connected to common ground. In the future I want to power WaveIO from a floating power supply to provide isolation between DAC and Music Server, but at this moment they share the same ground. But how can this harm?

Peter

Why my b3 alwsys got tracking issue and when on off light ,it affect the tracking as well ,any way to solve this problem ?

The ES9018 is very sensitive to any disturbance of the bitclock - often what happens in cases like yours is that either there is some DC on the mains which causes a serious ground bounce and/or EMI when the switch is thrown.

There are two things to do to help - shield the DAC in a metal case - isolate the DAC from the spike (isolation transformers can help here).

keeping your wiring (supply and signal) short and tidy also helps quite a lot.

It is usually better to track down the offending DC generator (usually an appliance or ceiling fan or such) and replace it if possible - as having DC on the mains is not really good for any audio device. It saturates transformers and and can generate enormous transients when a field collapses.

So in short - a transient is making its way to your DAC, either directly or via EMI.

Cheers!
Russ

Last edited:
The ES9018 is very sensitive to any disturbance of the bitclock - often what happens in cases like yours is that either there is some DC on the mains which causes a serious ground bounce and/or EMI when the switch is thrown.

There are two things to do to help - shield the DAC in a metal case - isolate the DAC from the spike (isolation transformers can help here).

keeping your wiring (supply and signal) short and tidy also helps quite a lot.

It is usually better to track down the offending DC generator (usually an appliance or ceiling fan or such) and replace it if possible - as having DC on the mains is not really good for any audio device. It saturates transformers and and can generate enormous transients when a field collapses.

So in short - a transient is making its way to your DAC, either directly or via EMI.

Cheers!
Russ

thanks Russ, i will try it.

Select I2S and Coaxial input by Sidecar and 2bit selector

Hi, I am having problems that need your sharing or instruction to solve it.

I am rebuilding my B3 and want to be able to switch between I2S and Coaxial SPDIF using 2 bit selector.

I am connecting board like attached diagram. My problems are:

1. Do not know whether 2 bit selector and Sidecar are correctly connected.

2. Could not LOCK with I2S (I could LOCK with SPDIF from WaveIO) already tried changing SPDIF autodetect Bypass/Use.

Thank you very much.

Attachments

• b3.png
    b3.png
    258.4 KB · Views: 783
Hi, I am having problems that need your sharing or instruction to solve it.

I am rebuilding my B3 and want to be able to switch between I2S and Coaxial SPDIF using 2 bit selector.

I am connecting board like attached diagram. My problems are:

1. Do not know whether 2 bit selector and Sidecar are correctly connected.

2. Could not LOCK with I2S (I could LOCK with SPDIF from WaveIO) already tried changing SPDIF autodetect Bypass/Use.

Thank you very much.

If you are using a single S/PDIF connection, and OTTO might have been a better approach than the Sidecar.

I assume you have power connected tot he single S/PDIF module (not shown in your diagram).

Is the Sidecar connected top the DAC using all pins? I ask because it requires power, which can either come through the 20-pin connector or the control pads.

If you are triggering the Sidecar with one of the 2-bit selector positions, you need to reduce the Sidecar's resistor from 10K (supplied) to something lower, like 1K.

If you are using a single S/PDIF connection, and OTTO might have been a better approach than the Sidecar.

I assume you have power connected tot he single S/PDIF module (not shown in your diagram).

Is the Sidecar connected top the DAC using all pins? I ask because it requires power, which can either come through the 20-pin connector or the control pads.

If you are triggering the Sidecar with one of the 2-bit selector positions, you need to reduce the Sidecar's resistor from 10K (supplied) to something lower, like 1K.

Thank you, Brian.
I connect Sidecar and B3 using all pin, also use it to power up Single SPDIF module. I will use lower value resistor, is my connection between Sidecar and Selector correct?

Assuming that I will need only I2S, what should I do/check to get LOCK with current configuration?

Thank you

Hi Russ and Brian

I’ve just fitted your new HD and HDBP to my B3 and just wanted to say how happy I am with the results.

A nice step up from the original HD and HDBP which really lifts the sound to new levels of clarity and refinement IMHO.

Thanks for the work put in and if I may thanks also to the Beta testers without whom these great products would still be in the test stage.

:cheers:

Here's seconding what Shoom said. We have coversed via another forum and are in agreement that the new Placids are a significant upgrade, thanks Russ and Brian.

Unlike Shoom I have only updated the BPHD since my case has no room for the HD as well, I am still running the original Placid. My guess is that the improved Placids are less significant on the Buffalo than on the Legato since the Buffalo already has the latest Tridents.

Please don't disagree or I will have to build a new case!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.