• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo III - flexibility without compromise.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sidecar also joins the DAC input channels for I2S, taking the place of the jumpers under the board, that you do not want installed for s/pdif.

If I use data 6-8 for SPDIF I can still have the jumpers since they only connects data 1-5.

I am pretty sure that link is what the original question was referring too. :)

I think at one point I thought it *may* work. (nothing lost in trying it)

But, in short the datasheet indicates not to do it.

That was actually not where I got the idea from but if I had read the comments on that page it would have answered my question.

Hi, I was the one that proposed such a wiring configuration and admit that I have not tested it. However, I did an experiment with the BII and was able to switch between I2S and SPDif by switching DATA 1 only. The bit-clock on the bitclock pin was live at all times.

You can try turning off the I2S source (that would shut down all the I2S signals) and switch to spdif...

As Russ said, there is no harm in trying... :)

I have a relay board with two relays in my DAC of which I only use one so I could use the other relay to control the feed to my FIFO to do as you proposed.

The datasheet clearly states that the data clock should be pulled low when not in use (page 11) the sidecar does that.

If you wish to operate reliably I would suggest the same. :)

Ok, if the FIFO has a pull down on its BCK output it could then work to shut it of when using SPDIF inputs. I will to some testing to see if I can get it working.

Thank you all for helping me to sort this out, it is highly appreciated.

I connected the FIFO via relay this weekend but still no lock on SPDIF inputs. I then found some threads on TP support forum about problems with the 4xSPDIF board when running it at 5.25. When lowering it to 4.5V the SPDIF started working.

The FIFO does not pull down the BCK when off but I still did not have any lock problems. I will do some more listening today to make sure it works. Maybe I should switch the BCK input to ground when not using the I2S, as stated in the datasheet but there is no easy way of doing that so I will probably leave it like this for a while.

B-IIIse (Stereo version) is in stock now. B-III 8-channel version will be back soon. I actually have a few here I will sell soon.

Hi Brian,
Don't want to be annoying or anything but do you now when these will be available to order or pre-order ?

I'm leaving abroad for holidays friday for the next 3 weeks and wouldn't like to miss the opportunity :)

Thanks for your help.
Best regards,
neofeed

We just put it up there.

There is a bug that can (sometimes) lead to a mis-mapping of internal DACs if you use I2S and the software remapping for stereo instead of installing the input jumpers. This is the result of either a quirk in ES9018 and how it deals with default register settings, and the order in which the registers are set. It does not always occur, but sometimes does, so we have a new version of firmware the prevents it from ever happening. Basically, you might get three (3) internal DACs assigned to each channel, rather than four.

If you are using S/PDIF inputs, or have installed the remapping jumpers, you don't need the firmware update.

If you need at, you can either download it for free or order a new chip ($0 + shipping).

EDIT: It also affects Mono implementations, not just Stereo.

Last edited:
We just put it up there.

There is a bug that can (sometimes) lead to a mis-mapping of internal DACs if you use I2S and the software remapping for stereo instead of installing the input jumpers. This is the result of either a quirk in ES9018 and how it deals with default register settings, and the order in which the registers are set. It does not always occur, but sometimes does, so we have a new version of firmware the prevents it from ever happening. Basically, you might get three (3) internal DACs assigned to each channel, rather than four.

If you are using S/PDIF inputs, or have installed the remapping jumpers, you don't need the firmware update.

If you need at, you can either download it for free or order a new chip ($0 + shipping).

Brian, can you please post a link? I have just looked and cannot find it...

Thanks!

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Need a bit of help...

Put together my BIII with Legato 3.1

Tested voltages before connecting...all ok:
5.25 V for BIII rock steady.
+- 12 V for Legato 3.1.

SDTRANS had been playing for ages with SPDIF and a TDA1541 DAC so ..tested!

Now connected i2S via UFl cables...mute and lock leds cycle once on boot up them lock remains on when SDTRANS is connected so...ok.

Connected so :

SDTRANS BIII

LRCK D1
SDAT D2
DCLK DCK
GND GND

But... all i get is dead silence.

I did check balanced output Dc offset...adjusted ok to 0V.

I have set up the underside straps according to Bunpei's suggestion to emulate BII:

1 . shunt JDSD1 and JDSD2.
2 . Wire D4 to D6 on card edge.
3 . set SW2-8 ON.

I should now be able to play PCM and DSD tracks with BIII detecting automatically.

I did put the strap on ADC to connect 3.3V to PB4 not to use internal volume control.

All switches on SW1 and SW2 are OFF except SW2-8 ...that is ON.
Also soldered straps J1,J2,J3,J4,J5,J6,J7,J8,J9,J10,J11,J12

But as i say...all i get is perfect silence except tiny "pop" when lock cycles on and Off.

Since this is the first time i test a BIII i tried to research as much as possible but...no dice.

Any help welcome.

Attachments

• SDTRANS - BIII.L3.1-POST.jpg
    SDTRANS - BIII.L3.1-POST.jpg
    922.5 KB · Views: 692
  • DAC-Post.jpg
    DAC-Post.jpg
    596.3 KB · Views: 668
Last edited:
New Firmware

Just a note.

Anyone who got the latest firmware update needs to know that the switch states are reversed in this release to work around a bug related to the port expander.

Otherwise the setting are the same as the integration guide.

This makes it work more like the B3SE which also used the reversed switch states for the same reason.

Sorry for not mentioning this earlier on the site.

Cheers!
Russ

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.