• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo III - flexibility without compromise.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

thanks alot

how many idependent psu that you need for buffalo dac if you want to feed as many independent psu to each section of the dac?

i am new to this dac. so my quick look at the guide, i think can use 5 separate psu:
- 3 separate psu for 3 trident
- and 2 separate psu for analog section.

anything else?

is there any information on the current draw of each section? as i would like to supply with CLC raw psu only to each section. any possible problem by using unregulated raw power supply?

thanks
erwin

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Good catch Leif. Thanks Russ! I attached a corrected image noting B4 in this post. I don't have the power to delete or change the image in my prior post but would encourage those who do to change it or delete it. Thanks!

Do I ground B4 to the chassis, VG on the Sidecar or a ground on the external I/O connector header?

I suppose pin 3 GND of the external I/O connector, Russ or Brian could you confirm?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
A pic explain more than 1000 words, waiting it's correct.

Attachments

• disabled auto-detect spif.JPG
    disabled auto-detect spif.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 457
The auto-detect feature is especially prone to false positive on I2S data. This means when using sidecar that if you have the DAC SPDIF multiplexor set to receive either channel 2 or 4 (which map to D2 and D4 on DIN) it will *very* likely unlock the DPLL from time to time as it mistakes the PCM data for a new SPDIF signal and attempts to lock onto it in vain, only to once again soon re-lock on the I2S/DSD. This is especially true at high sample rates (192Khz and above).

The Buffalo III firmware exposes the SPDIF auto-detect register to the user using I/O B4. When B4 is high (default state - switch 2:5 open) SPDIF auto-detect is enabled. When low (same switch "on"/closed) then auto detect is disabled (or "bypassed" if you will).

If you wish to use the 2-bit selector to switch between 4 SPDIF sources (using the SPDIF4 module) and the sidecar to switch between I2S/DSD and SPDIF you should always pull I/O pin B4 low on the Buffalo 3 when you have I2S/DSD selected. The best way to do this is with dual pole single throw switch. One pole should be connected to GND and "B4" on the Buf III I/O header - the other to 5V and "B" on the Sidecar. In this way when PCM/DSD is selected SPDIF auto-detection is disabled. You also get to use all 4 SPDIF selections.

Cheers!
Russ
If I got it right it should all be connected as shown in the image, Right?

But where to get the 5V from?

Attachments

• Sidecare I2S or spdif.jpg
    Sidecare I2S or spdif.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 502
This is currently where I am with my BIII project: http://imgur.com/TxNPb The question I have is - is there an issue with the distance of the S/PDIF Switcher Board to the BIII? If needed, I could switch places with the IVY boards and S/PDIF Switcher board. I don't know if those I2S lines can be that long... will I have unlock issues?

The acrylic back panel is only temporary and is used as a placeholder for the final panel, which will be metal.

Any other electrical design-related questions are appreciated!

http://imgur.com/TxNPb

Last edited:
Cool build. Perhaps you could shorten down the wires a bit by placing them like this.

Great explanatory graphic! (What did you use to make it?) I can't really mount the BIII on the side, since it piggybacks on top of a USB-I2S converter, and then my custom 2-8 channel switcher is mounted on top of the BIII.

*If* the long lines are an anticipated problem, I could always swith places with the S/PDIF board and the IVY boards, and move the inputs to the same side as well. But then, the lines from the 2-8 switcher to the IVY boards will be longer, too.

Ok. In that case I would place the dac board, the sp-dif input rca/optical etc. and those other boards in that stack to the same side of the ivy`s and align the sigma11 and sigma22 to keep the wires as short and to the point as possible (I use Google Sketchup 8 to make the 3d models).

Attachments

• Multi DAC.jpg
    Multi DAC.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 446
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.